Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Locked steering VW Golf

Options
  • 03-04-2007 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi

I was driving to work this morning and was going around a roundabout and as I was slowing down the car cut out and the steering locked.

This could have been really dangerous except it was a roundabout that had traffic lights and I was lucky that all the other cars going around it behind me were slowing down/stopping aswell.
    I could have swerved into another car.

I was ****ting myself that this could have happened. I had to quickly turn the ignition and get the car going again as the lights went green.

It was not so much the car cutting out but the steering lock that worried me. Is this common or do I need to get it checked out? I have been driving for 7 years and it hasnt happened to me before.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Because the engine cut out the electrics that open up the steering lock were off!! When you had the wheel turned it thought you wanted to lock the wheel up and done so!! Nothing to worry about unless it happens again!!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

were you still turning the wheel after the car cut out?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

copacetic wrote:
    were you still turning the wheel after the car cut out?

Yeah
    Was actually on the roundabout going around and turning the steering.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

When the car cuts out you will loose power steering as the pump is driven by an engine drive belt from the crankshaft. This is normal.

What you need to address is why the car is cutting out because, as you just learnt, it can be quite dangerous. As your car is VW, I reckon maybe you should start by having the throttle body cleaned and possibly and engine diagnosis carried out to see if anything else is amiss. I'll make a guess at the throttle body as you made no mention of any engine warning light on the dash.

jonny24ie wrote:
    Because the engine cut out the electrics that open up the steering lock were off!! When you had the wheel turned it thought you wanted to lock the wheel up and done so!! Nothing to worry about unless it happens again!!

Thanks Jonny24ie
    Im not really a motor expert so thanks for the advice.

Why do ya think it cut out? Doesn't normally happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Is the alarm on it dodgy at all? I've seen it happen on an old Passat where the alarm would go off very odd time when driving and this would then cut off the ignition, quite alot of fun when overtaking on country roads, been able to restart her while still in motion at about 50mph became a quickly acquired skill. Turned out in the end all was needed was to earth the alarm, an installer just but a cable earthing it to the bulkhead of the engine, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have a golf and this happened me too. It's a 00 and the reason it happened was because I believe there was a problem with the piston rings. There was a phase where the car would just cut out when driving and the steering lock...

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

man1 wrote:
    Thanks Jonny24ie
    Im not really a motor expert so thanks for the advice.

Why do ya think it cut out? Doesn't normally happen.

It could be an engine problem or it could be just a case of not clutching fast enough when you got cut off and the car stalling because you were nearly stopped and still in gear.

Altreab wrote:
    It could be an engine problem or it could be just a case of not clutching fast enough when you got cut off and the car stalling because you were nearly stopped and still in gear.

Definitely wasn't this!!!

cheesedude wrote:
    I have a golf and this happened me too. It's a 00 and the reason it happened was because I believe there was a problem with the piston rings. There was a phase where the car would just cut out when driving and the steering lock...

Mine is a 00 too, could be the piston rings then?
    Did you get it sorted cheesedude?

• Advertisement

man1 wrote:
    Mine is a 00 too, could be the piston rings then?
    Did you get it sorted cheesedude?

Suspecting the piston rings at this stage is jumping the gun to a large extent. There's a myriad of components that can cause an engine to cut out and everthing needs to be checked in a systematic way in order to determine the exact cause of the problem.

TBH, it could be anything from dirty fuel to a major engine fault (such as piston rings - which will be expensive to repair). Get someone competent to diagnose the fault correctly. Preferably someone with experience of Volkswagens.

EDIT: Cutting out is a common fault in MkIV faults. Most caused by either dirty throttle bodies or faulty plug leads. Another common fault lies with the air mass meter. Faulty piston rings is relatively uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

man1 wrote:
    Definitely wasn't this!!!
    Fair Enough :) that option is ruled out :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've had my 00 Seat Leon stall on the odd occassion too. I realise the thread is related to a Golf, though I know the 1.4 Leon uses a VW engine (not sure if this engine is also used in the Golf).

byte wrote:
    I've had my 00 Seat Leon stall on the odd occassion too. I realise the thread is related to a Golf, though I know the 1.4 Leon uses a VW engine (not sure if this engine is also used in the Golf).

In 2000, the most popular VW 1.4 engine was an AHW - but, AFAIK, Seats use a similar, not identical engine. The engine code is on a white sticker at the top of the timing belt cover.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

crosstownk wrote:
    In 2000, the most popular VW 1.4 engine was an AHW - but, AFAIK, Seats use a similar, not identical engine. The engine code is on a white sticker at the top of the timing belt cover.
    Oh, must take a look.

It does look quite similar to the 1.4 used in Bora's of the same vintage, though of course looks aren't everything! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Crosstowntalk is more than likely correct. The throttle body can gunk up on these cars causing the throttle to stick open (engine revving like mad), or the opposite causing the engine to choke and die.

I've cleaned more than one, and fortunately it's easy enough job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Wow, I'd ask around a few garages to see if this was a common problem with your model. If your key is in the ignition and clicked all the way in your steering should not lock up like that. The battery should still be active at least if it's electronically done the way a poster above has said. If so it's pretty dangerous if you get a battery fault.

Seriously i'd get that checked, as i'm sure you've imagined it may happen again.

Hi Guys
    Still having the same problem, It seems to cut out a lot in 3rd gear and even more in 2nd gear. Yesterday happened 3 times and one of the times the brakes locked too, had to start the car up again as I was moving, was lucky that I wasnt turning.
    I am getting worried now, have a service booked anyway in Mcallister Volkswagen in airside for the 9th may, rang them this morning to see if they could take it in straightaway, they are too busy they said.
    I dont know if you are allowing mention or recommend any garages on this forum but she (girl from mcallisters) told me about fosters garage in swords, said they are good, anyone know about this garage? Are they any good?
    Getting to the stage of fearing for my life when I am driving it now.
    Any advice would be great?

The brakes depend on vacuum created by the engine (when it is running) in order to work correctly. Without this vacuum it is still possible to stop the car but you will need a serious amount of force on the pedal to do this. Usually there is a vacuum reserve on the brake servo, but this will reserve will deplete once the brake pedal is pressed a few times with the engine not running - it will imediately replenish once the engine starts up again.

If you feel that the car is unsafe to drive then you probably should not do so until it is repaired. A few weeks inconvenience is better than a hospital stay!

I've never heard of the garage in Swords that you mentioned - but I do know a garage that will be able to accomodate you a lot quicker - PM sent.

Advertisement