Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Find out telephone number

Options
  • 03-04-2007 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm moving into a new house a 2 weeks and I wanna get the process of installing broadband underway.
    The house has a phone line but this is unused. I wanna get the number of this house?
    Would Eircom be able to tell me just by me providing the address? Or how can I go about it.

Thanks
    Tim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If its unused it probably doesn't have any phone number assigned - best bet is to ring eircom and find out. They may take aaaaaaaaaages to actually activate it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Would I still need to go down the ring eircom, get phoneline activated route if I wan't planning on going for Eircom broadband.

Had a similar issue with Smart in my last house, had a telephone line, no number and Smart took care of reactivating it.

I kinda only want the phone number so I can go check whats available in the area.

Will I need to provide phone number to any of the various BB companies (BT, Digiweb, Irish Broadband) to start the signup process.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

If Eircom can't give you broadband over your phoneline I don't think anyone else can. Unfortunately you will have to pay to activate/have the line installed before anyone can check if the line can take it.

It not that eircom couldn't provide Broadband I just don't wanna go with them.

I don't wanna have to pay eircom €100 to activate line and then pay for broadband on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Thats odd, unless they changed it but if the house has never had a line before, eircom will activate for free and within hours.. at least that was the case when i moved in to my house in 2005. Previous owners had never had a line so it was free for us.

• Advertisement

Will I need to provide phone number to any of the various BB companies (BT, Digiweb, Irish Broadband) to start the signup process.

Yes.
    Never said eircom couldn't provide Broadband I just don't wanna go with them.

Never said you did. Just if you're going to be ringing them to activate the line you may aswell have them run the broadband check when they're telling you the line is up.
    I don't wanna have to pay eircom €100 to activate line and then pay for broadband on top of that.

I think they've a special offer at the moment, check it out, you may very well be able to get the connection for free and then port your provider immediately afterwards.

dusf wrote:

I think they've a special offer at the moment, check it out, you may very well be able to get the connection for free and then port your provider immediately afterwards.

Sounds good. Thanks.
    Emailed Digiweb as well to see if they can proceed with process without me knowing phone number, etc.

Keep us informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Have you tried the phoneline? It may be still active. I've moved into two houses
    that were supposed to have the lines disconnected but they were actually
    still active. Then just dial your mobile.

There is a call back function on eircom too, you dial a number (even if the line is
    inactive, they don't physically disconnect them anymore) and it rings you back. Can't remember the number though, maybe
    someone else does? I think its like '100' or something....You'll need a digital
    display on the phone obviously to read the phone number.

Zapho wrote:
    Can't remember the number though, maybe
    someone else does? I think its like '100' or something....

Used to be 179 but you couldn't just dial it straight out, you had to do it once hang up and then a second time or something. Oh the memories :D

• Advertisement

Zapho wrote:
    Have you tried the phoneline? It may be still active. I've moved into two houses
    that were supposed to have the lines disconnected but they were actually
    still active. Then just dial your mobile.

There is a call back function on eircom too, you dial a number (even if the line is
    inactive, they don't physically disconnect them anymore) and it rings you back. Can't remember the number though, maybe
    someone else does? I think its like '100' or something....You'll need a digital
    display on the phone obviously to read the phone number.

Aint moved into the house yet so can't try that a while.
    I'll try when I do move in.

I'll keep ye posted on what Digiweb say.

Ok so Digiweb got back to me and looks like I'd have to activate myself first and then go to BB provider:
    Hi Timothy,

I personally recommend Metro over DSL though, it is more reliable and faster as well, but if you wish DSL then you need first to have your landline activated , once you get the number and your eircom account number I can organize Broadband on it, it usually takes around 10 working days. I will send you now info on our DSL Packages.

Regards

Alex

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Plug a phone into the socket in the new house and dial 199000 (I think thats the number) assuming the line is still active, it will read out the number assigned to that line.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TimTim wrote:
    Plug a phone into the socket in the new house and dial 199000 (I think thats the number) assuming the line is still active, it will read out the number assigned to that line.
    you can also use 198000 to tell you the carrier

Advertisement