Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Twin light switch one way or two way.

Options
  • 03-04-2007 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭

Hi

Not sure if the correct forum but hope someone can answer my question

I have to replace a Twin Dimmer Switch, 1 of the switches is for the Dinning Room area and the other is for the Kitchen area, the light on the kitchen area also have another normal switch (not dimmer) by the back door, the switch by the back door I think was only to switch OFF/ON the kitchen light but only if the Dimmer switch for the kitchen area was left to On.

I went to get a replacement yesterday and they have Twin One Way Dimmer Switch or Twin Two Way Dimmer Switch, I asked an assistance what the difference was but didn't really give me a proper answer even after going to the person in charge of the electrical section, she said some rubbish that even that I know nothing about electrical I know was incorrect., I think she said something like One way both switches were for the same light but a Twin way was for 2 lights.

Can anyone let me know what the difference is between Twin One Way Dimmer Switch and Twin Two Way Dimmer Switch.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

You have one 1way light and one 2 way light, but they don't make switches like that, so you will need to buy a twin 2 way dimmer and connect one of the switches as a 1way.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

What he said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

As mentioned by Hoagy you can only get a twin two way. You can swop out the dimmer if you need to but that would probably be more of a pain. Just get the twin two way and replace all the cables in the same order as they are in the original switch. Take care to look at the connections in both switches and don't go by just the position of the cables as the connections could be different on a different dimmer switch. If you are running down lighters off the the dimmer you need to make sure it is properly rated to carry the correct wattage.

Advertisement