Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New site, Gardens/Lawns

Options
  • 03-04-2007 1:11pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads,

We are in the new hut now so the next "great adventure" is the lawns/gardens/drive/walls/fences etc etc etc

We have a site crica .9 acres, a triangular shape, not a killing amount of soil so I know I will have to get some in.

But I am at a loss, do I put in kerbing, sleepers etc,

So I put block wall (192 ft of frontage), picket fencing, etc

If I plant hedges will they have bit dogs of roots that will interfer with the geothermal!

All these questions!1

Now 2 questions, should I employ a landscaper to do out a plan for us, are they dear?

Any resources on line or books u would recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

I did the same last year about same size,we used kerbs insted of sleepers as they hard to get level and go around corners without cutting and weeds in them.Also they are high and cars can be damaged if they touch off them.As for the lawn for god sake pay someone i didnt and it was bloody hard work even with tractor etc.I had a price of about 900 i wish i had paid it now.Hedging shouldnt be a problem with GEO. Willow has roots that can cause problems with foundations so maybe steer clear if your worried.Getting a landscper in will cost if you have a few ideas write them down make list of plants and trees that you like then look up web to see if they will suit your site.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

Oh as to which to do first kerbs or lawn ??????????? i would do lawn as tractor will break kerbs if been done by hand i would do kerbs first,but dont do it by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I did the same last July but got in some help to grade/spread/level the topsoil which had been moved off to the side while I built. About 0.75 acre of grass was spread/rolled/raked/stone picked and seeded in about four days. It would have taken me months to do myself. I cant remember the price but it was well worth it. If you have plenty of eager mates and want to do it your self, all of the equipment can be hired, stone picker, harrow, roller, mini tractor etc.

Currently laying sleepers down as kerbs which is bloody hard work but easily managed and makes a huge difference to the look of the place. Also doing 150m2 of paving which I learnt about on www.pavingexpert.com (great site)

There are loads of mature trees on my site so haven't got around to thinking about plants yet but a good garden centre would be able to give you loads of advice for free instead of paying a professional garden designer unless you are after the "professional" look.

Best of luck with it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lads,l
    Thanks for all your replies, still mulling over what to do, to be honest we don't have the readies to pay someone to do it so it will have to be me!

I just have to read books and see if I can get some ideas, different restrictions on the site makes it more "interesting"

Take it easy
    Aidan

Advertisement