Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[General] MedicAlert Jewelry

Options
  • 03-04-2007 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy Folks -

Does anyone here wear medic alert jewelry? I just got a bracelet and it's hanging off me, I feel like a diabetic pimp :)

Does anyone know of a good source? I'd prefer to wear a dog-tag style thing rather than a bracelet, kinda feel I should be wearing something just in case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I don't wear a diabetic identity-tag, but I have a special card as soon as you open my wallet. I couldn't bring myself to wear jewellery other than a watch and cufflinks at all. Perhaps a wedding ring, if that day comes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have an SOS thingy on a chain round my neck and I can then update the details on a bit of paper inside it when needed about what I drugs I'm on and contact numbers etc. I also have an "I'm a diabetic card" in my wallet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

tbh wrote:
    Howdy Folks -

Does anyone here wear medic alert jewelry? I just got a bracelet and it's hanging off me, I feel like a diabetic pimp :)

Does anyone know of a good source? I'd prefer to wear a dog-tag style thing rather than a bracelet, kinda feel I should be wearing something just in case.

I thought i saw these in a lot of larger chemists. Or perhaps you were thinking of something more fancy? Perhaps you could get your own made up on the cheap/

Think temple bar has a place/stall that makes jewellery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'm not really a jewlry fan, I've bought a couple of the bracelets, but I could only wear them if they were tight on me, and they are really loose - it's really annoying. The pendent is a better bet, but they are usually too long - I wouldn't mind one of the sos things -I did have one before, they have the little "accordian" pieces of paper inside? I lost it :(

I'm beginning to think there is a market for diabetic accessiories - bags for kit - sharps bins, tags etc...if only I had an ounce of talent. or ambition :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I like the sound of the "dog tag" or the SOS things, can anyone tell me where ya can get them? I'm not a diabetic, but I am on medication that I need to take every day...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

tbh wrote:
    I wouldn't mind one of the sos things -I did have one before, they have the little "accordian" pieces of paper inside? I lost it :(
    I printed out my own version of that bit of paper from a word template seeing as I have had to change details on it several times, you can also add in more relavent details on it then rather than what they give as the default options to fill in.
    I like the sound of the "dog tag" or the SOS things, can anyone tell me where ya can get them?
    The only place in Dublin that I found selling the SOS pendant things was a shop on the corner between Kevin Street and Aungier Street, I cannot remember the name of it though but it seemed to sell all sorts of special medical accessories.

I know the one you mean, but I think it's closed down now - can't remember the name of it either....

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

It was Fannins on Redmonds Hill. There is a pharmacy there now called O'Hora's I think. They do a lot of what Fannins did.

THANK YOU! that was wrecking my head. I've just popped into the pharmacy once, but it didn't seem to have much - didn't have a good look tho. It's not just here, I've been all over the place, and always look in any pharmacies I pass - never really seen anything tho. Dragons den anyone??!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

What I did once was get my diabetic details inscribed on the back of regular jewlery, might not work for a lot of people but it worked for me. I currently carry a diabetic card with me and also have my meds with me at all time, I know that I should wear the jewlery too, will have to sort that out again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭JasperKat

I used to wear an SOS bracelet & tg I did too, i've had epilepsy for years (last fit was yrs ago thankfully) & when in the uk i had a fit in the middle of a pedestrian crossing - luckily a nurse was walking by & knew what to do & understood my problem after reading the SOS info.

I know I shld still wear the bracelet *hangs head in shame*:o & I think you can buy them online from a place in the uk.

Jasper

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah, i used to have a medi alert bracelet when i was younger but just stopped wearing them, i really should have one though. i think my pump would be a dead give away though, but yeah i really should get something. Dog tags that looked alright wouldn't be too shabby.
    Edit: I'm diabetic...hence the pump...but Anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Medic alert bracelets are a life saver. If you ever get into any trouble and land in A&E, it saves us medics farting about for a while doing all sorts of tests to figure out whats happened and instead we can cut straight to the chase.

There are loads of options out there, wearing something on your body is better in many ways than your wallet as its harder to miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I have an ordinary bracelet with "diabetic" written on one side, and a contact number on the other (not my own!). The problem is, no one would think it's a medical bracelet as it looks for all the world like a piece of bling.

Do medics ever overlook bracelets like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

You always would look at a bracelet or indeed anything if someone came in unconcious - surgical scars are another way to guess what people have had done with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi, I know this is an old item, but if you are still looking for Medical Alert Jewellery, check out this Irish Company <pm me for details>. They supply fashionable, quality Medical Alert Jewellery

ok, see this is a conflict for me, because on the one hand, you are answering my question, but on the other, you're shilling your company, which isn't allowed. So I tell you what I'll do. If anyone wants to know the name of your website, they can pm you, is that ok? Well, I ask if it's ok, but really it's not a choice :) If I've got it wrong, and you've nothing to do with the company, let me know.

I know the poster above is "pimping" his whereaz, but cheers anyway, i've been searching for a "sports band" for running for ages that isn't ebay tat, so i think ill give them a go.

in fairness, I took a look and it seems like there's some decent stuff there. And I 'm pretty sure Aidan is small business and not a soulless megacorp spamming millions of websites. but rules is rules.

• Advertisement

Yeah definitely, nice to see a compromise instead of a ban, cheers tbh.

Hi, I am new to this kind of message boards stuff.
    Yes it is my company, a new business, didn't intend to break any rules. Sorry about that.
    Company set up because I could not find similiar products in Ireland, a couple of years ago, when I went looking.

no problem Aidan, best of luck with the business. I'm sure there would be no problem letting you advertise if you were to say give boardsies a discount? :p

Ok, following a very pleasant chat with Aidan over PM, I'm happy to let him post his site because he's offered boardsies a 10% discount on all products execpt postage and packaging. We get a good deal, and an Irish business gets...well..business :)

Anyway, the url is http://www.icemedicaljewellery.ie/ and to get your discount, enter the code BRD123 when you get to the checkout page.

Thanks Aidan!

tbh.

Sweet i think i'll be putting in an order at some stage tonight for a sports band. Thanks Aiden.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

DrIndy wrote: »
    Medic alert bracelets are a life saver. If you ever get into any trouble and land in A&E, it saves us medics farting about for a while doing all sorts of tests to figure out whats happened and instead we can cut straight to the chase.

Out of interest, what conditions are they useful for? I've no long term general health problems thankfully but I am on an unusual combination of psychiatric medication each day and there's enough of them that my GP describes me as a person she doesn't want to give extra drugs unless she has to, because the polypharmacology is too complicated as is and the interactions/side effects could be very difficult to predict in my case.

It's not that I'm likely to have to go to hospital because of my condition but should I carry something in my wallet with my prescription in case I'm unconscious after a crash or something?

Hi,

The range of Medical Alert Jewellery can cover most medical conditions for example Cardiac, Diabetes, Asthma, Anaphylaxis (Life threatening reaction to an allergen e.g. nuts) etc.
    The Medical condition is engraved on the back of the piece with a next of kin contact number if required.

As regards whether you should carry a card detailing you particular condition, that is more a question for your GP.

Regards

It wouldn't do any harm to have something in your wallet detailing what concoction of drugs your currently on, and as that might be changing it would be easier to keep up to date than something that is engraved with just the name of a particular condition on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

robinph wrote: »
    It wouldn't do any harm to have something in your wallet detailing what concoction of drugs your currently on, and as that might be changing it would be easier to keep up to date than something that is engraved with just the name of a particular condition on it.

Yeah my drugs change often enough that getting an engraved thing would be pointless. It could be out of date within a month.

• Advertisement

I have one of these and then just re-print out my own version of the strip of paper folded up inside it whenever my drugs/ GP/ address or who I feel like putting down as my next of kin changes.

Advertisement