Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[General] MedicAlert Jewelry

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

robinph wrote: »
    I have one of these and then just re-print out my own version of the strip of paper folded up inside it whenever my drugs/ GP/ address or who I feel like putting down as my next of kin changes.

Yeah, I'm just unsure if it's necessary or not. I can appreciate why certain conditions would require it but I don't know if being on medication alone is a reason to carry your prescription around on you.

I know I'm straying into medical advice territory here but I'm not asking for specific advice per se, more whether carrying out something like this would be general advice for anyone on medication or just applicable to people with specific conditions whose drugs or condition need to be known before any medical treatment can be given to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

i suppose at the end of the day it can't do any harm, although it might not necessarily save you life, it could save time one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi, yes I would agree with "robinph" , for your medications the wearing of an SOS Tallisman might be a good solution.
    In the event of an emergency, every piece of information helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭positron

Excellent thread.

We bought a cheap bracelet and got it engraved for my fiancée. Epileptic on on side and my phone number on the other. She also carries a days doze of medicines in her handbag, just in case the train breaks down or flights gets canceled or whatever.

I am starting to wonder is there (should there not?) be some sort of body that comes with a global standard and recommends sufferers and medics on it... I know it sounds a bit extreme, but I would think even a small chip inserted under the skin with pin linked to a universal db that carries info on partial medical history of the wearer, medicines and dosage, allergies, GP details and emergency contact details etc would, IMHO, help up to an extend.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If the chain on your medic alert bracelet or pendant is too long, take it into a jeweler, who will remove some links for you. You will be given them back, just in case you need the chain re-adjusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

positron wrote: »
    Excellent thread.
    I am starting to wonder is there (should there not?) be some sort of body that comes with a global standard and recommends sufferers and medics on it... I know it sounds a bit extreme, but I would think even a small chip inserted under the skin with pin linked to a universal db that carries info on partial medical history of the wearer, medicines and dosage, allergies, GP details and emergency contact details etc would, IMHO, help up to an extend.

I joined the Medic Alert Foundation years ago (no longer a member). They collect your details - including contact and doctor etc, and your bracelet comes with a unique identification number, and their telephone number, as well as the "alert". I think the theory is that if you are unconscious, the hospital can ring the Foundation, who can pass on the rest of the necessary details, not written on your bracelet. Unfortunately you have to pay an annual fee to them...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The medic alert thing is a good idea, but in my case there would generally be no need for me to get as far as a hospital. If found lying on the floor then somone just needs to throw a bag of sugar in my general direction and I'll be up and about again in a couple of minutes, so actually having the medical condition itself on the ID can be better than a code for the hospital to then call in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

I think they're useful. I know a couple of medics and they say if you are a young person they would assume you don't have any conditions so having a bracelet is useful.
    I have a pacemaker and a few drug allergies so I usually wear one when I'm out and about. I have a wallet card but I'm not sure they would find that. It gives you some peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Here's an option that I came across recently - contemplating getting one myself, even though I was recently sent a card by my consultant/surgeon detailing what he installed last December. But it doesn't contain my medication, so I might pick up one of these: http://www.medipal.org.uk/

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi,
    It might be a good option to have both the card and the medical alert bracelet. The medical alert bracelet could give details of the main medical condition and make a reference that you are carrying a card. Just a suggestion.
    Paramedics are trained to check around the neck and wrist ( pulse points).

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 melanie2009

Hi what about the Diabetic Association, I got a special bag thingy for taking my insulin abroad to hot countries, it remains cold for a period. I must say I haven't checked their website yet.

My medic alert bracelet which was quite tight wore away, I must have had it for 20 years, so I'm in the market again, will check out Diabetic Association now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I used to do a lot of unusal sports desert running, parachuting, paragliding etc. My ex bought me a good solid sivler set of dog tags a few years back. I just have basic info name, DOB, Blood group, but within limitations you can put what you need on them.

Advertisement