Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ready made concrete - does it exist????

Options
  • 03-04-2007 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering is it possible to get a bucket/small quantity of ready made concrete?? I know it sounds like a mad concept, but I'm just wondering?

I have a rotary clothes line and at the moment it's just stuck into the garden, but it is leaning more and more at an angle. I have no need for a big bag of cement and don't really fancy messing about making it up. So I was just wondering if I could buy a small amount already made up and just dig a hole and hopefully secure my clothes line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

You can buy small bags from Atlantic homecare with the mix inside then.You will still need to mix it yourself and add water if you want a wet mix not much you can do about that.Remember you will need more that you think i would use about 40kg bag for a washing line at least your wet clothes on a line in the wind will need weighing down.You could use the mix dry to save messy mix with water,put it in the ground dry with pole holder pack it down and a sprinkle of water over it to start the bonding,after 2 days it should be rock hard from moister from ground and morning dew.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

buy 5 or 6 bricks (the ones with 3 holes in the middle) bury them in the garden one on top of each other and stick the pole down the middle, job done.

Also, you can buy small bags of concrete in B&Q etc for not much cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

chuckles30 wrote:
    I'm just wondering is it possible to get a bucket/small quantity of ready made concrete?? I know it sounds like a mad concept, but I'm just wondering?

I have a rotary clothes line and at the moment it's just stuck into the garden, but it is leaning more and more at an angle. I have no need for a big bag of cement and don't really fancy messing about making it up. So I was just wondering if I could buy a small amount already made up and just dig a hole and hopefully secure my clothes line.

Would you be looking for something like this?:

http://www.aldi.ie/special_buys/product_1450.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Beelzebub wrote:

That is cement, a constituent part of concrete, the OP will still need to add gravel and sand to the mix to get concrete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Beelzebub wrote:

http://www.aldi.ie/special_buys/product_1450.html

Definetly not ...... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You can also get this quick-setting concrete. You just mix water with it and it sets hard in 15 or 20 minutes. It's not cheap, but if you only need a small amount, and you're not used to working with concrete, it might be the way to go. The last time I bought it was in B+Q I think.

Also, if there's a site near you (and there's a site near everybody these days) and you see a concrete mixer running, you could try asking them for half a bucket full.

Mind you, the concrete in and of itself doesn't have that much strength. You might want to consider giving the whole thing a bit of structure with a block or two as GreeBo suggests. Otherwise the whole thing might just fall down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

what all thoese thingys require is a piece of steel, the longer the better roughly 12 inches, welded on to the bottom of the upright on the direction of the clothes line this takes all the strain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Our local builders supplier sells cement in small bags (2.5kgs) and loose sand and agregate (small stones/ chips) ......

All I would do if I was looking for a small amount of concrete would be to take down a 3 gallon black bucket and a sack ..... get a couple of bags of the cement (or whatever gives you the equivalent of 1/2 a bucket) .... get 1 full bucket of sand and finally 1 1/2 buckets of agregate ......... this will give you a 1:2:3 concrete mix ...... if you think you need more just double the qty's ......... mix it all up with a drop of water .... problem solved .... :)

CJhaughey wrote:
    That is cement, a constituent part of concrete, the OP will still need to add gravel and sand to the mix to get concrete.

I was labouring - pardon the pun, under the impression that it was already mixed.:eek:

hobie wrote:
    Definetly not ...... ;)

That's Definitely a pity then!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Thanks for the info guys - it's just going to be a slightly bigger job than I had anticipated. I think using bocks as well sounds like a good idea. Oh well I'd best go figure out a proper plan now.

Advertisement