Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Improving Performance

Options
  • 03-04-2007 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

Alright Lads,

Just wondering if there is anything i can do to try and improve the performance of my car? Its a bmw (1994 316i). Its not too bad but its a bit underpowered.

Any Suggestions other than trading in for a 320?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Do you mean like engine tuning, if so you are better off going to bmw-specific forums. If you mean the transmission is losing power then it probably just needs to be serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

a 316? :D cant wait till the fanboi's get here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

nothing that would be worth the time and money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

have you tired any thing previous

for example induction and the like , wont make a massive change but every little helps i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Personally, I wouldn't bother - you'll never get your money back on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

no i havent done anything with it at all, i'll prob only keep it for another 8 months though. I'll more than likely sell it or trade it in then against a 98/99 323. Unfortunately the funds dont stretch that far just yet :(

Remapping will get you feck all.

There isn't alot you can do improve performance by any significat amount.

try http://bmw-driver.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

As stated above, with a 316i its hardly worth your while. The 3 series is a heavy car, the easiest way to make a noticeable difference in performance would be an engine swop with something bigger, like a 320. If you want you could buy a free flow air filter such as K+N, this should give you a couple of extra BHP and improve throttle response. The next step is the exhaust, however fitting a full system would hardly be worth the expense for the power gains so perhaps a freer flowing back box would be the answer.

I would just stick with the filter. You could also chip the car, giving maybe another 10BHP but its all down to your budget and how much you are prepared to spend on what are going to be minor performance gains on your engine.

What year is the car? I would consider a 318is if you are trading up, it has about 140BHP so is faster then the 316i.

Advertisement