Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D Ultrasound Baby Scans

Options
  • 03-04-2007 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi,

I was just wondering if any of you had a 3D ultrasound baby scan done when you were expecting, if so how did you rate it.

Also would you have another one done next time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I have one booked at the end of this month. Have seen pics from other mums to be and they look amazing, I can't wait to get mine!

I was a bit wary of shelling out so much money, but after getting my ulstrasound in the hospital and seeing the little guy I just can't resist getting a 3D. I think it will be a nice keepsake in years to come.

I have heard not one bad report from anyone who's had them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

I'd say I'd have loved to get one done when I was expecting but I don't think it was even available. To be honest I don't think I'd bother forking out for one when No.2 is on the way. When you're expecting for the first time you're all excited and can't wait to see your little one but to be honest they'll look a lot different to the picture on the scan when they're born anyway. But that's just my opinion. If you're not strapped for the cash and want to do it then go ahead. I'm sure it is a wonderful experience to see the baby like that and who knows, maybe I'll get tempted to go for it myself in years to come!

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

dame wrote:
    but to be honest they'll look a lot different to the picture on the scan when they're born anyway. But that's just my opinion.

42i28n6.jpg

34e3h94.jpg

See for yourself! :)

E170 is not that much money to pay for reassurane of a 3D scan and you can claim 42% of it back on your Med 1 Form :D

Also the medical scan done in the hospital is not for the mother it for the doctor to analyse for measurements, diagnoses, etc I know you get a photo but its a 2D image which is difficult to make out. The 3D scan is for you you get a DVD & colour photos.

Price has gone down then since my friend had one two years ago. That baby must have been scanned in the latter stages so of course looks quite similar but at that stage you're going to see the little darling in the flesh soon anyway.

Reassurance? At that stage what exactly are you going to do if you see something wrong? Are the normal scans so bad that the doctors won't be able to tell you about something that will show up on a 3D scan?

E170 is still a lot for something that will be redundant in a few short weeks/months anyway once you have the real thing to take photos of.

It is a nice idea to be able to see the little one properly though but it is unnecessary at that same time. Go for it if you want it - it won't do anyone any harm.

dame wrote:
    E170 is still a lot for something that will be redundant in a few short weeks/months anyway once you have the real thing to take photos of.

It's like a wedding album, it won't mean much to other people, but it's nice for yourself to look back on, and to show the little one once they've grown up.

I think if it's something that would intrest you and you like the idea of it then your not going to be disapointed.

• Advertisement

Shelli wrote:
    I think if it's something that would intrest you and you like the idea of it then your not going to be disapointed.

True. Getting the first peek is very exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

I didnt want to know the sex of our baby so I didnt get it done as a girl I know found out the sex through the scan - they didnt mind though! Just something to be aware of!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

we got it done 2 weeks ago. It was interesting to see and my wife loved it, it will be nice for the child to be able to look back on it in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

siochain wrote:
    we got it done 2 weeks ago. It was interesting to see and my wife loved it, it will be nice for the child to be able to look back on it in the future.

Sorry to resurrect this thread but how far along was your wife when you got it done?

I'm only 15 weeks and have no patience, but its not something i can afford do twice. Trying to ascertain if its best to wait til 22 weeks, even though its hard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Trinity1 wrote:
    Sorry to resurrect this thread but how far along was your wife when you got it done?

I'm only 15 weeks and have no patience, but its not something i can afford do twice. Trying to ascertain if its best to wait til 22 weeks, even though its hard :D

no problem,

we were about 23/24 weeks when we had it done very clear picture. Can even see she is very like one of my daughters. I think thats the latest you can leave it for good pictures.

Not sure what the pictures would be like at 15 weeks.

• Advertisement

siochain wrote:
    no problem,

we were about 23/24 weeks when we had it done very clear picture. Can even see she is very like one of my daughters. I think thats the latest you can leave it for good pictures.

Not sure what the pictures would be like at 15 weeks.

Thanks for that reply!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Went with my partner who is at 27 weeks, last week and it was amazing - my only criticism would be the dvd - its just a dump of the whole scanning process, both 2d and 3/4d. Its great when you get home and watch it again but its very crude and could do with some sort of refinement. Not sure what, maybe just have a mic attached to the scanning head so the whole process would have a soundtrack, gastric noises may not be to everyone taste but I always found it whale music like, instead of just the heart beat monitor (which is one of the best bits)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 aoife13/01/2008

please could someone tell me where in dublin i could get the 3d scan done and how long in advance do i have to book.

Look up the Paula Tunney clinics, she has one in Swords and one in Rathgar just around the corner from Mount Carmel hospital. She was excellent, I would recommend her clinic to anyone.

I would say book a good month to 6 weeks in advance, I wanted to go to the Swords clinic as it's closer to me, but I couldn't get an appointment, so I went to Rathgar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 aoife13/01/2008

thats grand thanks will give her ago.

At last mine is here on Thursday. I booked it more than 5 weeks ago. I cant wait!!!! I'm going to the one in Swords.

Shelli did you enjoy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Julietta

Hi there

Aoife, if you can't get a booking in Paula Tunney's clinic, I would highly recommend MD Ultrasound just off Grafton St. I had mine there and found them really friendly and professional.

Hope today goes will for you Trinity, I absolutely loved my scan and thought it money very well spent, it's not cheap! I still have one of the scan pictures beside my bed, my son (now 15 weeks) is examining his hand very intently in it, I'll treasure it always....going to blub now :)

Juliet

I was a wee bit disappointed but it was no-ones fault. I have built myself up too much for it plus he was facing the wrong way and not too much movement which is just tough luck because normally he wont stop and even on the normal scan it took 2 nurses to scan him he somersaulted so much.

Ah well it is nice to look at and we did get one decent photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Elen

Hi!

I am having my scan done tomorrow y Grafton. I have been told that if you cannot see it properly they will send you for a walk and ask you to come back. In case it is facing backwards.
    Also they asked me to have a fizzy drink before to wake up the little one.
    I am excited, but also a little scared that I might be deceived:rolleyes:

Elen wrote:
    Hi!

I am having my scan done tomorrow y Grafton. I have been told that if you cannot see it properly they will send you for a walk and ask you to come back. In case it is facing backwards.
    Also they asked me to have a fizzy drink before to wake up the little one.
    I am excited, but also a little scared that I might be deceived:rolleyes:

Eat something before hand too.

we were not told this so i assumed if i didnt eat baby would be hungry and awake!! Wrong way around, he barely moved.

Also it can be a bit freaky looking so dont be scared. At one point i thought he only had one arm and the other was a stump, then it looked like he had a hole in his head!! It was only shadows but tbh i wouldnt get it again.

I thought there would be tears seeing my son for the first time but i was unmoved and thats not like me :(

We got one decent photo for 170, the rest were not pretty and the dvd was boring :(

I feel so bad saying that, the baby is beautiful but would prefer my first look at him to be special and not of him looking deformed!!

SOrry i dont mean to put you off, others have had better experiences i just want to warn you to be realistic!!

But enjoy it, you will prob have a better look as you know to eat and take a fizzy drink!!

• Advertisement

Guys, I am just back from the scan and it was so worth it!
    I am 24 weeks now, and even though they do not have that much fat on them I could really see his face, and spot some of my husband features in him! unbelievable.
    I had a diet coke and a chocolate pastry before hand and he didnt stop moving. He is very active normally but today he definitely moved a lot a lot.
    He likes having his hands around the face and sucking them.
    It is so nice to get to know what he is up to before being born, it made me feel closer :D

Elen wrote:
    Guys, I am just back from the scan and it was so worth it!
    I am 24 weeks now, and even though they do not have that much fat on them I could really see his face, and spot some of my husband features in him! unbelievable.
    I had a diet coke and a chocolate pastry before hand and he didnt stop moving. He is very active normally but today he definitely moved a lot a lot.
    He likes having his hands around the face and sucking them.
    It is so nice to get to know what he is up to before being born, it made me feel closer :D

Delighted you had a good experience!!

Mine normally never stops moving, except of course on the day we needed him to!

That maybe an indication that hes gonna be a stubborn bugger when hes born :D

I was 24 weeks too but she told me he was quite chubby for his age which was unusual but great too!

Post a pic if you can - i'll show you mine if you show me yours :D

Forget how to do this but think this is it. Cant get it to come up as a piccy just a link!

There you go, one where he is sucking his thomb.

Yours is chubby allright! gorgeous!

Awh, so cute!! Actually i saw mine rubbing his eyes.

Its amazing isnt it!! Although i feel quite sorry for them in there - i'd love to just take him out now and give him a big cuddle :(

We'll have to post pics when the baby is born, see if they look like the scans!

I'm 26 weeks so am guessing you'll be due in October too? (I'm 10th) Although mine will most likely be a section so prob come early!!

Yes, we can see later on how much they look like in the scan!
    Yep, due on the 26th October, cant wait.
    I also feel like taking him out for a while and cuddle him... but I would never be able to put him back after :D

A C-Section? low lying placenta?
    How is the pregnancy going?

Elen wrote:
    I also feel like taking him out for a while and cuddle him... but I would never be able to put him back after :D QUOTE]

LOL

Son was born by emergency section so may be opting for elective this time. Of course if i thought all would run smoothly and he would pop out when i sneezed i would do it naturally :D

But the pregnancy is exactly the same as the last so i am guessing labour will be the same.

Pregnancy ok, very painful but nothing serious thank god!

I have a feeling hes gonna come early, hes quite big!

Is this your first baby?

Yes, this is my first, and it is not going fantastic either.
    A couple of weeks ago I started having a terrible pelvis pain, and I have been referred to the phisio now...
    I had to give up my yoga, walks and all that...

Maybe we should open a new topic on pregnancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Trinity and Elen those pics are gorgeous!

Me broody?....oh no.. not at all no no :o

• Advertisement

Elen wrote:
    Yes, this is my first, and it is not going fantastic either.
    A couple of weeks ago I started having a terrible pelvis pain, and I have been referred to the phisio now...
    I had to give up my yoga, walks and all that...

Maybe we should open a new topic on pregnancy

Yeah i was thinking we're going way off topic!!

Thanks littlebug.

Advertisement