Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurses Strike?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

By that do you mean that like most Public Service and Semi-state jobs there is an "overtime culture" where absenteeism is quite high and there is a kind of quasi organised system where the number of hours a person works on time+ is maximised and manipulated ?????

I would love to know how many HSE employees at any one time were working on normal time and the absenteeism figures for hospitals on a per shift basis.

Anecdotally that number would seem to be smallish, as reported in last Sundays Sindo concentrating on the Mid West area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

tallaght01 wrote:
    Sam34, saving a life doesn't begin an end witht he doc who puts the ET tube intot he sick patient, or who cardioverts the periarrest patient. The nurses are part of a team that, in most cases, works together to save that life. They're the people who have the obs done for you in A+E so you can make the decision about treatent. They're the people who filter out the well from the sick in triage. We're a team. They don't work the long hours we do, or have the same qualifications, but to imply that they don't do any lifesaving work is somwhat short sighted in my opinion.
    Plus not all life saving is done in the acute phase. The chronic care, helping people to feed so they become much stronger, liasing with social work etc, it all saves lives somewhere down the line.

the likes of nurse baz with all his rhetoric would ahve us believe that nurses are not so much part of a team but people who singlehandedly save lives every minute of every day. im trying to call a spsde a spade here, thats all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

To be perfectly honest my opinion of the nursing profession took a big dive during my experience in psychiatry, mainly due to the severe resistance I met any time i tried to reduce anyone's anti-psychotic/sedative meds, as well as what I felt was a disparaging and disrespectful attitude towards teh mentally ill by medical staff.

your pseudonym suits you.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

rockclimber , u hit the nail on the head about the 35hr week demand
    the nurses just arent there to cover the extra hours if 35hr week came in
    the existing nurses wud work overtime to fill in = more money.

those poor nurses with their above average salaries ,benchmarking ,job security and good pensions ......

And the real irony is that they expect you and I to pay for it by working harder and paying more taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

sam34 wrote:
    your pseudonym suits you.:rolleyes:
    Let's not get personal, shall we?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

aidan24326 wrote:
    The nurses now want to bust out of that benchmarking agreement. It's typical public sector union behaviour.

Er, no it's not, as all the others are playing the agreed game by the agreed rules, which is why other public sector groups are so angry at the nurses.
    If the nurses got their demands it would have been a slap in the face to all of the other unions which have maintained industrial peace.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

By that do you mean that like most Public Service and Semi-state jobs there is an "overtime culture" where absenteeism is quite high and there is a kind of quasi organised system where the number of hours a person works on time+ is maximised and manipulated ?????

Most? That's quite simply rubbish. It does or did happen in a few severely dysfunctional places (An Post) though.

I would love to know how many HSE employees at any one time were working on normal time and the absenteeism figures for hospitals on a per shift basis.

Presumably in view of your sweeping statement above you already have such figures for the rest of the public sector? :rolleyes:

Bear in mind that some healthcare workers are in the front line and assaults are not that uncommon. You can't compare it to your average desk job. I wouldn't want to be in a hospital where nurses were coming in to work when they were sick, risking passing something on.
    Don't forget too that most HSE employees aren't healthcare workers...

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

ninja900 wrote:
    Most? That's quite simply rubbish. It does or did happen in a few severely dysfunctional places (An Post) though.

Presumably in view of your sweeping statement above you already have such figures for the rest of the public sector? :rolleyes:

Bear in mind that some healthcare workers are in the front line and assaults are not that uncommon. You can't compare it to your average desk job. I wouldn't want to be in a hospital where nurses were coming in to work when they were sick, risking passing something on.
    Don't forget too that most HSE employees aren't healthcare workers...

Sweeping statement.... that was a question...there is a ? at the end of it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

so what's the outcome of the industrial unrest? Not heard a thing bout the nurses on this side of the water in about a week. Is it all sorted?

• Advertisement
Advertisement