Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Cards with Credit Facilities

Options
  • 03-04-2007 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

I always clear my Credit card balance monthly and never pay interest. I go abroad frequently. I know BOI credit cards have credit facilities where if you are in credit you do not pay cash advance fees. Does anyone know of any other companies offering this? I have searched long and hard and can't find any.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

PTSB.

I think its pretty standard on most Visas. You are taking out your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Sangre wrote:
    PTSB.

I think its pretty standard on most Visas. You are taking out your money.

AIB too.

I agree. I would think that if the card is in the + then there are no charges until it goes into the -

Of course, it is easier with "normal" banks that have internet banking to view how much into the + you are - as in I don't know if you can do the same with a MBNA card for example.

L.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

there was a review of this facility in the tribune at the weekend. It is far from standard not to charge. according to them NIB and EBS charge a cash advance whether your account is in credit or not. AIB, BOI, Amex, PTSB and Halifax don't. Everyone else does as far as I can tell.

edit:
    note that all this info is available online on the regulator site:
    http://www.financialregulator.ie/data/cr_costsur_files/Credit%20card%20cost%20survey%20-%20issue%206.pdf

and they cover all the cards..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

i am currently with MBNA and they do charge whether you are in credit or not which is an absolute nonsense. A few months ago I began shopping around and any banks I contacted informed me that they DO charge a fee whether or not the account is in credit or not.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i am currently with MBNA and they do charge whether you are in credit or not which is an absolute nonsense. A few months ago I began shopping around and any banks I contacted informed me that they DO charge a fee whether or not the account is in credit or not.

the report specifically picked out MBNA as terrible value (the also issue the one direct and EBS cards). late payment fees of €15, over limit of €13 and €19 for unpaid were by far the highest considering BOI and PTSB charge nothing for the first two and everyone else a lot less (assuming payment missed or over limit wasn't massive)

Read the pdf above for more details of everyone who doesn't charge the fee when account is in credit.

• Advertisement

I did read it and have e-mailed both AIB and PTSB with queries re. their products. No reply yet tho!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Isn't MBNA(about 17?) APR nearly double of PTSB?

Not sure of PTSB.

All visas make their money in different ways. You just need to find out which card suits you best. MBNA cards are for thos who travel a lot.

I wanted a visa with a decent limit, got it with MBNA. I assumed that if in credit you could withdarw fee free as its your money but was wrong (my fault, never checked Ts&Cs). The rate to me is irrelevant as I clear my balance at the end of each month. Hopefully PTSB's card is fee free if in credit aas I have my current account with them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Always do it using AIB abroad and never a charge.

Advertisement