Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sleep & Full Moon

• 03-04-2007 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Can you sleep during a Full (or almost full) Moon?

For years now ive been having difficulty sleeping the odd time, spending nights tossing and turning, just very restless, and when i get up and look out the window, lo and behold, it's a full (or close to full) moon. This has happened too many times to just be conincidence (IMO).

Is it just me, or does anyone else experience the same thing? This morning in work none of the 5 others at the table had had a good night's sleep last night, all complained of 'tossing and turning' or just being 'very restless'.

What do you think? Are we just lunatics or is there actually something to this?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Moved to the appropriate forum
    B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Could it just be to the fact that there is a slightly higher "Light" level during a full moon as compared to the other phases. Are you the sort of person who cant sleep with a light on.

That said I usually cant sleep on Sundays (thats due to work the next morning though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

Yeah me and one of my mates can never get a good night's sleep on a Sunday. Never noticed aything strange around a full moon

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pikku

Definately there could be something with the light BUT i now live in a very built up area, with a street light just outside the window, so while that's a good idea, i think there is more to it.

Many times it has been cloudy for example -ie no chance for the actual LIGHT of the moon to get through- and i would have one of those restless nights, where no-matter what i try, i toss and turn and do not sleep...And then the next day in my work diary or calendar i notice that it was a full (or close to full, or new) moon the previous night....and then i know why...

Also - consider the effect that the moon and its phases on the tides. Our own bodies are made up of a high percentage of water (70% ??) so i think it just makes sense that we are *somehow* affected as well. Or just those of us who are more suseptible (sp?) to it.

At least i find it reassuring to be able to pin a reason onto my periodic lack of sleep...If this effects anyone else out there, and you get the same reassurance from the knowledge, im happy:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

Ok I'm so glad that this affects someone else other than me!!! Not only can I not sleep for two nites around the time of the full moon, I also get very moody/weird/bit-of-a-psycho (as my girlfriend can vouch for very well by now!)

I didn't realise it at first, took a long time for me to connect the two. For me my curtains are very thick so it's not the fact that its brighter, as I'm not able to see it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I had a very bad nights sleep on Monday night. tossing and turning and i have a crick in my neck as a result of it. I thought it might have been because i had been at a rosary which was quite disturbing that night. But maybe it was the full moon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

I dont know if there is some explaination for it but i was tracking the moon for a while and my moods that go with it and I found that during a full moon I do feel quite restless and moody to a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pikku

Hmm - never thought of connection the moon with moods! I will have to start monitoring that now as well...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the computer you are sitting on has more of an effect on you than the moon, at any stage

for god's sake, it's a lump of rock floating around the planet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

It's either the light or it's all in your head. To believe otherwise is no different than believing in paganism/UFOs/the flying spaghetti monster/God/Allah/Santa/the tooth fairy....

Actually I've a friend who's a dyslexic insomniac. He lies awake all night wondering if there's a dog.

I'll get my coat and go back to studying now....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The moon's gravitational pull makes the tides happen by pulling the earth's water about the place.
    The first full moon after the spring equinox is known for having a greater effect due to the moons closer proximity to the earth at this time and hence we have spring 'high' tides.
    The human body is like 70% made of water....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Gravity effects the whole body not just the water in your body. The effect of gravity from the moon is very small and only noticeable when it acts on massive volumes of low viscosity liquid. The force due to the difference in the distance the moon is from the earth at different times is trivial by comparison to any of the forces we experience day to day, such as walking around a corner, being in a vehicle while is changes speed, even the force due to the motion of our lungs moving in and out. Not to mention the influence of the centripetal force due to the spinning of the earth and the suns gravitational pull.

So if such forces affected our moods/sleeping the moon would be the least of our worries!

Like the aforementioned beliefs, believing that the moon is influencing us in such ways is only plausible from a position of ignorance or self delusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I wonder if you made a "sea" of humanity-bodies piled upon each other to fill the space of the Pacific ocean, would the moon still give a spring-tide, with us as the ocean? Perhaps, perhaps not...:)

Hyrdrogen and oxegyn in the ratio of 2:1 make up around 70% of the human body by mass, present in lipids, oils, proteins, and blood. Not sure if it is water per se that makes up 70%, rather, its the compenents that make up water.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The Full Moon rises my tides, as someone close to me will attest!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

never had trouble sleeping during one. i do find them rather beautiful at times though :>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

yep, i've often found it difficult to sleep when there's a full moon.

A friend of mine also has this problem, and some of her family too.

In work one day I said to another girl that I hadn't slept the night before and she said "Maybe there was a full moon?"

So IMO it's a fairly common thing.

Advertisement