Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MB fan & drive init prob.

Options
  • 03-04-2007 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Ok, here's the prob. When I booted up a few days ago, the cd-drive and dvd-RW drive didn't appear in the drive list in My Comp. In device manager, they are both there, but with the yellow warning triangle, and they both say 'device failed to initialise'. Tried updating drivers etc, but they both always fail to init.

Also, there was some serious noise coming from inside - so opened it up, and the noise was coming from the small MB fan. If I stop it for a sec, then let go, it sppeds up, but then slows down again and makes a crappy noise.

In the BIOS, the fan is running at 300RPM, which I presume is mad slow.

Question is, could this slow fan be the cause of the 2 drives not initialising.

I'm about to go to pc-world/maplins to get a new fan, but would appreciate your advice.

The MB is an Abit AI7 - will a standard MB fan suffice?

The pc works fine otherwise, however I did have to boot a couple of times last night to get it up and running after I poked at the fan a bit.

Thanks,

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Chipset fan sounds like it's going alight.

Whether that is the cause of the problem well it may be if the north-bridge is getting too hot it could be causing all sorts of problems though it is not possible to say with certainty.

Fans can be tricky to replace as those boards used tiny little hooks to keep the coolers in place it was possible to find coolers that where compatible at the time but no so sure now.

If you can't find anything you can use tie raps to keep a passive cooler in place like the Zalman ones, the thermal paste and tie raps through the holes on it's arms will keep the chipset cooler in place.

Advertisement