Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old workhouse on Nun's Island

Options
  • 03-04-2007 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

You can see it on the west bank if you ever look up the river from O'Brien's bridge. Does anyone know who owns it, I'm looking to get in there to take some photos. I've had a look around Nun's Island myself and the workhouse is fairly well walled off. I could get in there, but it means either hopping two walls in full view of an apartment complex and the main road or going through the back of the Patrician brother's house and across a canal.

Much easier, I think, to simply ask to be let in. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

I don't know but my guess would be that its still owned by whatever branch of nuns used to own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Do you mean the (quite beautiful) derelict stone building against the riverbank with broken windows and graffitti?

NUI, Galway own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The way 'my friends' (I never broke in, honest) used to get in was by crossing over the little wier south of the building (Yes it's as dodgy as it sounds) and you're on the premesis.

however, they have fenced up the windows (Used to be able to creep right in) so can't just walk in.

It's spooky as fcuk in there at night but a savage place, loads of old machinery still in there, and a conveyer belt goign from top-to-bottom (at a not-so-steep angle) which a friend of mine skateboarded down a few years back :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Man it sounds class, if i win the Euromillions il turn it into the biggest Internet Cafe in the Nation!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I've been in it, just go in from off the road, it's kinda weird in there though, really eerie or something.And yes the nuns still own it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Word to the wise, I've been told the place has a lot of asbestos in it.

Advertisement