Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.T summer work

Options
  • 03-04-2007 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Anyone know companys that would take on students for the summer months,im lookin for tech support work(studying computer networks) but realistically thats prob all i would get because i dont have any on the job experience,just wanna get something related,any info appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

A mate of mine did work experience with Apple a few summers ago, but that was organised by CIT because he was doing an I.T. course. No harm in trying them anyway, I guess...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If it's network related you're looking for, you could try chatting to these guys, because Cisco would be a good crowd to get in with.

Alternatively, I know Siemens have recently taken on a couple of interns, though I don't know if they're paid much (if at all:eek:). You'd be able to get some sort of useful experience there, but more from a tech support angle than anything in-depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

I had an interview with Stryker for a 6 month placement position a few weeks ago so they might still have openings available. It was for a network technician job and their equipment is impressive. However, I didnt get the job because I didnt have server experience, but you should try seeing as you're studying networks.

In retrospect, it's very hard to get work experience in Cork. I'm studying ITS and as part of our course we must complete 6 months industrial placement. Out of 8 people who needed to be placed in college, 2 of us are after getting jobs in Dublin, 2 in Cork. And where we had up to 30 company's on the card for interviews at the start of the year, only 3 companies actually went through with them and decided to give students a chance.

It was so f**king frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 old man

I believe apple are leaving us. I was going to try there myself until i heard the news. If they are hiring, you need to go through a recruitment agency on oliver plunkett st. Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

I need summer work too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

old man wrote:
    I believe apple are leaving us. I was going to try there myself until i heard the news. If they are hiring, you need to go through a recruitment agency on oliver plunkett st. Hope this helps

Noel Recruitment afaik.
    Rozie wrote:
    I need summer work too...

I.T. related?

Advertisement