Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is better? flatrate 3G vs satellite

Options
  • 03-04-2007 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Anyone got experience of both? I have satellite and am thinking of switching to 3G.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

OTK wrote:
    Anyone got experience of both? I have satellite and am thinking of switching to 3G.

By flat rate do you mean unlimited?

There is no real "flat rate" 3G offering from any company. Most have caps of 2, 3 or 5 gigs.

What kind of satellite do you have? I got skyDSL just a few days ago, very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

skyDSL is not 2 way Internet. Just a download accelerator.

Two way satellite has caps too.

For large files and reliability I'd say two way satellite is better.

For lower latency, but still not good enough for games the 3G is better.

With 3G there is no MINIMUM speed, nor even a guarentee that you get connected if the cell is busy.

Typical speeds are 50k GPRS, 180k 3G and 800k HSDPA using a high speed 3G card. Connection speed can be higher or lower. It is a kind of dialup that connects almost instantly, so if there is a loss of connection the session is lost, the download may need restarted, or page reloaded or a fresh secure login.

I'm presuming the OP means flat rate as in fixed monthly Charge (About 56 Euro? for 3G compared with minimum of 99 Euro per month 2 way Satellite).

Even 2 way satellite can work out cheaper than Analogue Dialup, line rental and SkyDSL, if you cancel the phone line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

I have 2-way satellite via pure/satlynx: 512k up 128k down. cap is low, can't remember how much exactly. By 'flatrate', I mean fixed price subject to cap rather than cost per meg pricing model as used on many mobile phone internet services.

With 3G, could I mount an aerial on the roof to improve signal quality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 FarSide

OTK wrote:
    I have 2-way satellite via pure/satlynx: 512k up 128k down. cap is low, can't remember how much exactly. By 'flatrate', I mean fixed price subject to cap rather than cost per meg pricing model as used on many mobile phone internet services.

With 3G, could I mount an aerial on the roof to improve signal quality?

You certainly can...
    With one of these
    http://www.thiecom.de/shop/umts-antennen/artikel/slp15-umts-richtantenne/?sid=37589b7e3512ba206d1906f78a15f17f

And a pigtail for the card
    http://www.thiecom.de/shop/pigtails/artikel/pig6fme-huawei-umts-karten/

If you want, you can mount the antenna backwards in front of an MMDS dish and increase the range to 4 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DVDMAN

your modem or modem/router can make a big difference if the line has a high amount of noise on it, try a different brand. i heard modem/routers are better than just modems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

FarSide wrote:
    If you want, you can mount the antenna backwards in front of an MMDS dish and increase the range to 4 miles.

I'm getting well over twice that distance with a fairly reliable 200+k speed.
    I did use a dish to help locate the best spot for the included antenna, and it
    helps the card lock on, but in general use, it's not necessary.
    I've also found that the older E618 vodafone card gives a stronger signal
    than the newer (1.8Mbs capable) E620.

I'm in a sparsely populated area.
    In areas with more users, your distance will drop drastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

FarSide wrote:
    You certainly can...
    With one of these
    http://www.thiecom.de/shop/umts-antennen/artikel/slp15-umts-richtantenne/?sid=37589b7e3512ba206d1906f78a15f17f

And a pigtail for the card
    http://www.thiecom.de/shop/pigtails/artikel/pig6fme-huawei-umts-karten/

I am getting 3bars of 3G signal from 8 miles away with the above kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Niallb, you don't by any chance have a spare E620 that your not using then?

PM if you're willing to swap it for some nice crisp euros.

(I can get one off Voda but only if I tie into another 12 months)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

Nope, I'll be using it when I get a better antenna, or when they 3G enable
    a mast nearer to me!

Advertisement