Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

White Smoke from the exhaust

Options
  • 03-04-2007 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Was having a look at car today (Nissan Primera 1.6 Petrol 1998), and noticed a lot of white smoke coming from the exhaust, even after the car had been left idling for 15-20 mins. There was also water (or maybe unused petrol, but I think it's water) coming out of the exhaust. When revved, a lot more white smoke came out. Does this mean there is something wrong with the head gasket, or could it be something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Keep well away from it its burning oil, head gasket probably on the way out. Im not a mechanic but they will offer similar advise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

If its a lingering whitey blue smoke with a bad smell, it could mean burning oil, ie rings or valve seals gone. A garage would know immediatly with a smog tester, also check your oil level. If it was that it would be an instant nct failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I thought blue smoke was bruning oil, i.e. wring rings? White smoke is a head gasket???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

It means your car has elected a Pope! :biggrin:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Blue smoke = burning oil
    White smoke = water
    Black smoke = dirty diesels :D

Had the car been sitting up for a long time? Its not uncommon for moisture to buildup in the oil if it had been sitting for weeks/months. A good long drive letting the oil heat up fully should clear it... on the other hand it could be head gaske problems. Check for the usual signs like white gunk in the oil/ black gunk in the coolant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I doubt it's white 'smoke'. It's more likely to be steam. As others have pointed out, this indicative of a failed head gasket. My advice is to get it checked as soon as possible before it leaves you stranded - not to mention the extra cost involved in repairing a toasted engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

fitzgese wrote:
    Was having a look at car today (Nissan Primera 1.6 Petrol 1998), and noticed a lot of white smoke coming from the exhaust, even after the car had been left idling for 15-20 mins. There was also water (or maybe unused petrol, but I think it's water) coming out of the exhaust. When revved, a lot more white smoke came out. Does this mean there is something wrong with the head gasket, or could it be something else?

Run Away !! Fast ! Faster !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's more than likely the Head Gasket, in 90% of cases I've seen, white smoke either indicates a Pope has been chosen, or the Gasket's a gonner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

ned78 wrote:
    white smoke either indicates a Pope has been chosen, or the Gasket's a gonner.

Brilliant :D

Advertisement