Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

throwing out rubbish

Options
  • 03-04-2007 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong place:

How would i get rid of old single beds and an old sofa?
    I've tried the old waiting-for-a-skip-to-magiacally-appear-round-the-corner-and-pop-them-in-there
    but their either full by the time i get to them, or i can't arrange transport in time - and besides i'm uncomfortable doing it anyway.

There must be somewhere near-ish Rathmines where i can dispose of them, but i can't find it. Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,672 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it a divan bed?
    if so, the mattress is your main problem. break up the base, and give the wood to someone with an open fire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,672 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's assuming they're in too poor a condition to freecycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I thought the council had designated spots where you could get rid of beds ,rubble ,most household rubbish ,bar waste.
    Give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

I've tried the old waiting-for-a-skip-to-magiacally-appear-round-the-corner-and-pop-them-in-there
    but their either full by the time i get to them, or i can't arrange transport in time - and besides i'm uncomfortable doing it anyway.

There must be somewhere near-ish Rathmines where i can dispose of them, but i can't find it. Any ideas?

There is one thing that really pisses me off when i have had a skip and that is some cheap skate dumping there old bed,freezer etc in it GET YOUR OWN.They cost a lot of money and why should other people dump in it......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Pigeon House Road, near the East Link bridge is your nearest place, I think. But check dublinwaste.ie for details before you make a trip. Costs 7 euros for a carload I believe.

There may also be somewhere up around Ballymount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

There is a depot in ballymount.
    From memory its 12 euro for a carload.
    You would prob need a small van though, I recently filled up my caddy and it cost me 18 euro, well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

well, at least now i finally have an excuse to buy that axe i've always promised myself - i have three skanky old single beds with mattresses and a sofa, plus two old PC monitors and assorted other rubbish to dispose of.

Checking the bring centre on-line they won't accept any vehicles transit van sized or above, and seeing as how i was planning on hiring a van to take them all down in one go, that's that plan farked.

Now i'll have to basically chop the beds in half (with my new axe!) to get them into my car and make three or more trips down there.

Oh well, for the good of the cause and all that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Computer/electronic waste is free to dispose in certain collection centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

well, at least now i finally have an excuse to buy that axe i've always promised myself - i have three skanky old single beds with mattresses and a sofa, plus two old PC monitors and assorted other rubbish to dispose of.

Checking the bring centre on-line they won't accept any vehicles transit van sized or above, and seeing as how i was planning on hiring a van to take them all down in one go, that's that plan farked.

Now i'll have to basically chop the beds in half (with my new axe!) to get them into my car and make three or more trips down there.

Oh well, for the good of the cause and all that.....

i have been on to the council numerous times protesting about this stupid rule -nothing bigger than a car van allowed in to there centres -i pointed out to them that they were discriminating against me as i dont have a small van or car and this was against there mission statement on equality -they then tried to tell me they are not insured to take commercial vehicles into the facility till i pointed out that its large trucks that take the stuff away from there centres plus my commercial insurance covers me -they had stopped answering my calls but reading this post i think i will make contact with them again just to give them a head ache -at the end of the day why should i pay inflated rates to skip hire companies (which sdcc have an operating partner ipodec) when i can recycle it myself at the desinated yards -i am a taxpayer so should be able to use the facility no matter what i drive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

knighted wrote:
    i have been on to the council numerous times protesting about this stupid rule -nothing bigger than a car van allowed in to there centres -i pointed out to them that they were discriminating against me as i dont have a small van or car and this was against there mission statement on equality -they then tried to tell me they are not insured to take commercial vehicles into the facility till i pointed out that its large trucks that take the stuff away from there centres plus my commercial insurance covers me -they had stopped answering my calls but reading this post i think i will make contact with them again just to give them a head ache -at the end of the day why should i pay inflated rates to skip hire companies (which sdcc have an operating partner ipodec) when i can recycle it myself at the desinated yards -i am a taxpayer so should be able to use the facility no matter what i drive

I was in the bring centre off the North Strand last week and there were a couple of big vans unloading there. It's also cheaper than the one at Ballymount, I think because one is SDCC and the other is DCC. They also take builders rubble at the North Strand one, but not Ballymount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

if you are refused a government service you are entitled to be given a reason for the refusal in writing under the FOI act, for no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Dr Strangelove, I guess you were joking about the ax, but just in case, don't take a swing at a bedstead with an ax. They are made from very hard wood and the ax will bounce back on you, use a saw with a very coarse blade - bush saw for example. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Have you tried jumbletown.ie, there's always people wanting sofas or beds:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Put them up on adverts.ie and dublinwaste.ie on the free stuff section. Someone will always want this kind of thing regardless of condition and will collect them from you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I despise people like you, since when is someone else responsible for paying for your junk. Save up and rent your own skip. You'll be lucky if you're only done for littering if you get caught dumping your crap in a nearby skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Ballymount is 25 euro for a large car now, went up recently with a neighbour in a jeep. I told him I'd heard it was 12 euro. fekker wanted 25.

Windmill road Bring Centre in Crumlinis open on Sundays too.Try them at 409 9495

or call the Vincent de Paul, they may take them.

Wait till Holloween and let get burnt. Wait till DCC does the five yearly collection of junk in your area....

We got a new mattress a couple of years ago. Still had the old one around the house. Up and down the stairs!!! don't ask me why, can't remember. Walking the dog, a neighbour was getting some junk collected by a DCC minivan, the ones with the curved back, with the sliding doors like a bin/bank cash deposit box. I asked yer man politely could he take the mattress, sure enough he did...fair play to him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

I strongly agree get ur own skip !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I despise people like you, since when is someone else responsible for paying for your junk. Save up and rent your own skip. You'll be lucky if you're only done for littering if you get caught dumping your crap in a nearby skip.
    I think the good Dr is pulling a few legs;) Nobody can be so thick as to admit waiting to use other people's skips instead of simply hiring one of their own. 3 beds, a sofa, PC etc? Come on!

Advertisement