Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

student accomodation

Options
  • 03-04-2007 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hey,
    im hoping to start in GMIT in september , doing heritage studies and am currently trying to decide on a place to live.i am from dublin,therefore do not know many people which is why i would like to live somewhere close to the college and with other young people,so i thought living on campus would be the right option.Does anyone know whether gleann na ri or glasan are nice to live in ? I would really appreciate all opinions.

Thanks,
    A mC

Comments

Okay.. I'll give you a frank run-down on things:

Gleann na Ri is nice but (and there's a big but) if you are not into your drinking and are working weekend mornings then it pretty much sucks. Alot of the time you would encounter people shouting outside your apartment. RAG week is alot of fun there as there is always a lot to do.
    The apartments themselves are nice, but I wouldn't advise getting a downstairs one as you wouldn't have much privacy i.e. there are paths right outside your sittingroom/bedroom window.
    The facilities there are topnotch (with the exception of the shop, as they rarely have anything worth buying but also have a terrible smell). The Marios there is really nice and does excellent chips. I've always found the people in the laundrette to be nice when I was living there. They also do great deals (open to change, as this may have become different)- 8€ for a bag of washing.
    You also get broadband in your bedroom, which is perfect if you have a laptop/desktop. But a lot of sites would be blocked.

Glasan is nice, though the design of the houses are a little odd. Bedrooms would be on different levels and each door would have a keycard to access it (good for security I suppose).
    The facilities in Glasan are a tiny bit better (with the exception of the laundrette) as the shop stocks more, and the Scotties restaurant is better than Marios. They use the internet provided by the college, so I presume you can expect the same sites blocked in Glasan as in GMIT. But I am unsure of this.
    The security is strict during RAG week and sometimes they have patrols and semi-roadblocks to ensure no non-residents get in. Don't expect to have a big house party as I have heard of people being evicted from their accomodation without getting their deposit back.
    It is also a lot closer to the college than Gleann na Ri is. But Gleann na Ri has the added bonus that it has Bodkins Bar/Library bar in the vicinity.

My own preference would go to Gleann na Ri - not because I lived there for a year, but because it seemed best for me personally. Hope this helps ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 a-mc

ok thanks, i rang up today and asked them both could i have a look at the apartments either 2moro or thursday so i'll check both of them out.Is there a big difference in prices between them though,because i'd want my own bedroom but in one of them theres sharing , which i dont want,but thats the cheapest.i do like drinking and probably wont work so gleann na ri seems ok, when you are booking an apartment can you ask them not to have a ground floor apartment or do you just get put in with whoever ,in whatever apartment they have free?

Uhm, I think if you get there early enough you should be able to get a decent enough apartment. I found Gleann na Ri to be pretty good as they give you an option to pay the accomodation fees at the start of the year and all you need to worry bout then is paying ESB.

and how dar from gmit is gleann na ri?can u walk there within a few minutes?and can you like have people staying over or are they really strict on what everyone is doing?

Gleann na Ri is about a 10 minute walk from GMIT. Not too far. You can have people staying over, I think, and the couches are nice enough to sleep on.

• Advertisement

haha thats ok then.thanks a million 4 ur help!!!!!

Advertisement