Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of SDM during BUPA run

• 03-04-2007 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if its ok to wear a speed and distance monitor such as a polar SDM during a run like the BUPA 10km.

Ive been using one for a while and while I am only a casual runner with maybea 9min mile, I find it useful and would like to use it during the race as I hope it will stop me rushing off at the start!

Just afraid that this might be against race rules or something.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

If you were planning on winning the race or being in the top 20, then it may be an issue, but for the average casual runner it is fine. I used mine in the St Patricks day 4mile, had it set to beep every 1/2 k so I could keep track of pace and not make the usual mistake of going out too hard. I found it very useful.

It probably is against the official IAAF rules to wear such equipment, but the rule, if it exits, is not enforced in mass participation road races.

Enjoy the run!
    Domer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Domer wrote:
    It probably is against the official IAAF rules to wear such equipment, but the rule, if it exits, is not enforced in mass participation road races.
    Are these rules online? Why would it be against the rules. I remember seeing a photo on the BUPA 10k entry form of the start of the women's race - most of them had their fingers ready to start their stopwatches. There could have been a HRM/SDM in there.

I'll be wearing my Polar 625x. I too wore it in the MSBAC St Patrick's Day run and in a recent duathlon. For the former it was interesting to see the altitude changes and my corresponding drop in speed as I climbed up from Chapelizod gate past St Mary's Hospital.
    And the new BUPA 10k route, with it's drop into the lower Furry Glen should be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Thanks for the advice guys.

If you see someone being dragged away from the start line thats probably me then ha!

I guess I will wear then, kinda got used to it now. If there is a problem I guess I could carry it...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

http://www.iaaf.org/newsfiles/23484.pdf
    Rules 143,144 on page 99

Section (c)
    pacing in races by persons not participating in the race, by athletes lapped or about to be lapped or by any kind of technical device.

It's like Domer said. It's banned but it's not enforced (or even frowned upon) in mass-participation events. Nobody is going to mind anybody not competing for prizes wearing a SDM device. I wear a forerunner 305 gps device in every race for the feedback afterwards.

As to how it helps, well it makes it easier to run your target pace, and the reason you've picked that target pace is it's the pace you should do best at.
    I doubt it'd really help anybody good much though as their internal pacing is probably better than a GPS. Even I can run my marathon pace very accurately very easily. Maybe they're worried about the day when the devices are more accurate than athletes...

Advertisement