Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yorkie Vs Maltese Puppy

Options
  • 03-04-2007 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking into getting a small dog and I was hoping for any advice on getting a Yorkie vs a Maltese pup.
    We have been told the toy and teacup breeds of Yorkie have many health problems and the Maltese are a more durable dog, is this correct?

We have a 2 bed apt so a small dog is our only option, but i would be very grateful for any advice on these two breeds and any other suggestions on other breeds.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Maltese are better in every way shape and form in my opinion. Yorkies are more likely to have health and behaviour problems. Their hair is harder to take care of but either one, you will have to brush everyday. That said the Maltese is also easier to groom and they are lovely dogs.

Make sure to find a reputable breeder with a history of healthy dogs as some are very careless and don't pay attention to any health issues the dogs they are breeding may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just a general remark* on small dogs:

Small doesn't necessarily mean "easy". Yes, they take up less space physically, but they have a tendency to overcompensate for that one "advantage" by taking up a lot of resources otherwise.

Most small breeds are feisty, crafty, clever, self-assured little "buggers" that demand attention and commitment very much disproportionate to their stature :D

If it's peace and quiet you want ...don't get a small dog, get a greyhound.
    Let the grey explode for half an hour outside every day and it'll neatly fold into a corner at home for the rest of the day and you won't see or hear it, unless you want to.

*to be taken with a pinch of salt, please

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I don't really like small dogs, with the exception of west highland terriers. They have a fabulous tempermant and train well. If I only had an apartment or small yard they are what I would have gotten.

We had one when I was about 5, and he was an adorable little boy. He was clever, had a great tempermant and whenever I would play my toy clarinet he would dance on his hind legs and "sing" along:D . Unfortunately he died young, but he was a lovely boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I agree with peasant actually about getting a greyhound..theyre great dogs and dont deserve the rep they have!!Theyre actually quite lazy dogs and a quick run every day is enough and they can make themselves surprisingly small!
    If you deffo want a small dog i would pick the maltese over the yorkie to be honest! But another great breed is the bichon frise..!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have two large dogs, lurchers, in a small terraced house with no garden. Its not much different to an apartment really except its in the country. They're easy peasy to keep and so quiet inside. One of them, the huge one, who stands almost 30" high at the shoulders is constantly going missing in my tiny house. I keep having to look for him as he curls up in quiet corners.
    Not all lurchers are so quiet, it depends on the dog, but any I have met have been so easy to keep, and ideal apartment dogs. Most lurchers would be similar in upkeep to greyhounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Just a question regarding the small dog in an apartment ... we are moving into our apartment soon, it's on the top floor so doesn't have a garden or anything (it has two small balconies). I wasn't thinking of getting any pets at all since I thought it would be a bit unfair on the dog. I'm assuming you couldn't just head off to work and the dog has to stay inside all day?

I actually love Maltese dogs myself, they are adorable. Have never had a small dog though, only used to big dogs (my parents have a Newfoundland now) but ya really couldn't have a Newf in an apartment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

tinkerbell wrote:
    I'm assuming you couldn't just head off to work and the dog has to stay inside all day?

You can't leave a highly social animal like a dog alone all day, full stop.
    It'll go bonkers.

Be that inside, outside, upstairs, downstairs, in a shed or in a mansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

peasant wrote:
    You can't leave a highly social animal like a dog alone all day, full stop.
    It'll go bonkers.

Be that inside, outside, upstairs, downstairs, in a shed or in a mansion.
    Yep I know which is why I wasn't gonna get any pets for our apt since we'd be out all day, and you couldn't leave the poor thing alone for that length of time. I was just wondering what people in apartments do though who have pets? Most people are in jobs these days that require them to be away from their home for a lot of the day, so it wouldn't be fair on the animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Firstly find out if you are allowed pets - 99% of apartments I looked at were strict no pets rules in the management contrct.
    I totally agree about a greyhound - they are not noisy and are lounge lizards

West Higlands in an apartment are a recipe for disaster.
    They are barkers ( my family have had them forever ) and are industrious , clever little dogs. They are NOT the type to leave alone in a box all day.
    And you cannot make a general sweeping statement about them having wonderful personalities and temperaments as my experience with family and many rescue westies tell me otherwise.
    Our 3 have been as different from each other as elephants and tortoises !!!!

I would get a dog if allowed but as Peasant says small does NOT equal quiet or easy.
    In fact I was trying to talk someone out of getting a mini yorkie last night that has an apartment.

Things to think of

House Training
    Are you prepared to go downstairs at least 11-12 times a day and night to do wees etc - hail rain sleet and snow !
    And even as a house trained adult you need to go out at least 5 times a night - putting on jackets , rain clothes , shoes and running flights of stairs. It's hard work !
    Are you prepared to have an apartment torn apart by a bored terrier ?
    Are you willing and able to keep your neighbours happy by ensuring the dog won't bark for Ireland due to boredom

I am not trying to rain on your parade but these are serious considerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

SuzyS1972 wrote:
    They are NOT the type to leave alone in a box all day.

Where did the OP say they would be out at work all day? People living in apartments and flats have all sorts of dogs and can have them happily as long as there is someone with them most of the day. I know people who have border collies, alsations and rottweilers in apartments in London and all of the dogs are well-trained, well-adjusted and happy dogs. As their owners are either not working or working from home so they are with their dogs most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

If you are away at work all day or most of the day then I would advise fish. Dogs need a lot of time and attention. It doesn't matter what type. Back to the original queation I like maltese better. My friend has a pup who is great. I have huskies and they get on great. But they are a lot of hard work and that goes for both breeds. I can groom and my friend is `learning her self as they need brushed a couple of times a day.They'er coats would mat if they where not. They do make a lot of noise. Small dogs that think they are big.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

to the op's orginl post id say a yorkie as having owned both the yorkie is easier to train in my opinion! being honest either of the two as there both lovely breeds just be aware of the prices currently being charged for maltses's unless you consider a rescue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Greyhounds make fantastic pets. They're clean and quiet (important if you have a small place), are really really affectionate, and just love to sleep! Give them 2 short walks a day, and a soft bed and they will gladly sleep for hours! They love a routine, and will appreciate a walk/dinner etc at the same time every day.

I have two of them, and would never consider any other breed in the future.

There are hundreds waiting for homes in www.paws.ie - even better if you can help a poor dog in a shelter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kerri tee

:) i think you should get maltese definatly i love mines to bits and there so good
    :)

shes called tilly

they get on great with other dogs and kids too

aww beautiful dogs :) i also plan to show her too

x kerri x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Bichon Frises are a great breed. My entire family now has them as a lot of us are allergic to dogs and due to the hair and dandruff not shedding everywhere they're perfect for us. I have 2 boys, Otso is 8 and Teddy is 7. They still look the same as they did at 1 year old and we still get asked if they're puppies. Make sure to get a friend for it though. I find they fare much better in twos and most people we know who got one decided they needed company and got another one at the first opportunity. They're great with kids as well as they're not aggressive towards people at all. With two unneutered males scuffles will arise but they won't touch you, only each other. That we found was solved easily with feeding them in seperate rooms though. They're very energetic dogs so having 2 will help burn some of the energy as well as they can play with each other.

We haven't had any major problems with health issues although one did get very itchy for a while but that was sorted out with a lovely little cone around it's neck. It looked like a gramophone.

With regards to brushing and grooming to keep them white they need a fair bit of looking after. Depends on what look you want though and can always just go for a low maintenance short hair cut on them if you're not looking to brush them daily and bring them to the groomers every two weeks.

Advertisement