Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simple Wiring Question - Will it work?

• 03-04-2007 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Right-e-ho. Here is a little wiring diagram for a wee project of mine. I'm a complete and utter twat when it comes to electronics and I was wondering if you guys (and girls) could help me.

A simple question that I ask of ye is "Will it work?"
    EngineeringWiringDiagram.png

I apologise for the crappy diagram and I'm sorry if the wrong symbols are used anywhere.
    The empty space on the right is there because I'm waiting for something to come down to complete the circuit. But will the rest of the ciruit work without that part being completed? I mean I want the whole ciruit to work all of the time apart from the buzzer. I want it to work only when the circuit for it is complete.

Will that work the way I have it?

I apoligise for my complete ignorance in the subject but I would appreciate any help possible.

Thanks for all the help !

PS. Instead of wiring the wires parallel like in the diagram, is it ok if I do something like this? (see below). Would that work just the same?
    EngineeringWiringDiagram2.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Yeah top diagram will work.

The second diagram you have, obviously you will have to connect the objects to the battery to complete the circuit which would just be the same thing drawn differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Tails142 wrote:
    Yeah top diagram will work.

The second diagram you have, obviously you will have to connect the objects to the battery to complete the circuit which would just be the same thing drawn differently.

Yeah, that's what I meant but I never completed the drawing :p

Thanks for that!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

The top diagram looks OK. The potentiometer is connected a little odd maybe (they have three terminals!), but it will probably still work to some extent (depends on the its resistance range and the resistance of the motor). I assume you will be using it to control the speed of the motor?

The buzzer part is grand.

The bottom one is a bit mad! I'm not sure what you're trying there, it looks like you'll have the motor in series with everything else, which would be kinda strange.

What does the gearbox do when connect to a battery, out of interest?

The bottom one is a bit mad! I'm not sure what you're trying there, it looks like you'll have the motor in series with everything else, which would be kinda strange.

Jaysus yeah I messed that digram up. It was supposed to be the battery in the motors place
    What does the gearbox do when connect to a battery, out of interest?

The gearbox is just turning a bar (slowly). Nothing crazy.

Thanks for the help guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Does the gearbox need a 9V supply to operate?

Also, be wary of what the rating is on the buzzer. You may need a potential divider if it's not a 9V buzzer.

Also, don't expect the 9V battery to last to long (very low Ah rating) - AAs or Cs will be much better for running motors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

If you need 9V and long life, just chain up 6 rechargable AA batteries. You can get some with ratings of 2700 mAh which should last you quite a long time without taking up too much space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

im...LOST wrote:
    The gearbox is just turning a bar (slowly). Nothing crazy.

So isn't that a motor too, just one with a gearbox attached

Longivity is not really an issue here thanks.

The Gearbox is indeed a gearbox and motor. But I want a bar to rotate slowly and I want a different motor running fast aswell.

Advertisement