Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a modem

• 03-04-2007 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi,

My cousin is after building a log cabin in his back garden which he is going to use as a home office. He has a Dell laptop with a Dell Wireless 1390 802.11b/g 54Mbps Mini-PCI Wireless Card, for Dual Core Processors. He wants s wireless modem that he can have in the house and connect to it from the laptop in the cabin. The cabin is approx 30 feet from the house. Can someone recommend a wireless modem for this please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The only predictable thing about the performance of wireless equipment is its unpredicatability so it is very difficult to say that a particular modem/router will definitely work well in a particular situation and with a particular wireless card.

And more information is needed please? Has you cousin already got broadband - is so what type cable dsl??? this will influence the recommendations for equipment.

I actually have the model listed above and its coverage is excellent but to get the maximum coverage from it you need a matching wirless card or usb which in your cousins case would mean disabling the on board card and using the netgear one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

dub45 wrote:
    The only predictable thing about the performance of wireless equipment is its unpredicatability so it is very difficult to say that a particular modem/router will definitely work well in a particular situation and with a particular wireless card.

And more information is needed please? Has you cousin already got broadband - is so what type cable dsl??? this will influence the recommendations for equipment.

I actually have the model listed above and its coverage is excellent but to get the maximum coverage from it you need a matching wirless card or usb which in your cousins case would mean disabling the on board card and using the netgear one.

Hi, he is with Magnet Broadband.

I was actually about to buy that modem this morning for him from elara

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

<edit>
    Have just seen it in PCWorld for 129.99 including a USB adapter, so will prob get it there instead.
    </edit>

Hi, he is with Magnet Broadband.

I was actually about to buy that modem this morning for him from elara

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

<edit>
    Have just seen it in PCWorld for 129.99 including a USB adapter, so will prob get it there instead.
    </edit>

Be careful! Be very careful:) As far as I know from postings on here Magnet will only allow the use of their own modem - I would suggest that you confirm this with them before going any further. The products you are proposing to buy include a modem - if Magnet only allow the use of their own modem then what you need is something like this:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_wireless_cablerouters_108mbps.php

Perhaps other Magnet users on here may be able to advise you better as I am not a Magnet customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

dub45 wrote:
    Be careful! Be very careful:) As far as I know from postings on here Magnet will only allow the use of their own modem - I would suggest that you confirm this with them before going any further. The products you are proposing to buy include a modem - if Magnet only allow the use of their own modem then what you need is something like this:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_wireless_cablerouters_108mbps.php

Perhaps other Magnet users on here may be able to advise you better as I am not a Magnet customer.

OK, thanks Dub. I actually went ahead and bought it this evening. I will try and set it up for him at the weekend. If it doesn't work, I'll just use it myself as I don't have wireless, just normal broadband.

• Advertisement

OK, thanks Dub. I actually went ahead and bought it this evening. I will try and set it up for him at the weekend. If it doesn't work, I'll just use it myself as I don't have wireless, just normal broadband.

Before you waste a whole load of time trying to set it up contact Magnet first - you wont be able to set it up without username and password - does your cousin have those?

Advertisement