Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

References when applying for masters?

• 03-04-2007 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I bit the bullet today and applied for my masters. Anyway, not I need to send some references to the postgrad office on Galway I believe. I can get one academic from University but who should the other one be? I have a former employer that would act as a reference, the only other person I can think of is my school principle? Or should I look for another one from college? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I used two academic references when applying for my PhD. I'd day that's probably OK, if not the best way, seen as your suitability is more or less solely based on your academic strengths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

If you go for two academics and you're going straight from undergrad then I'd recommend a lecturer that you know well (supervisor of final year project or something) and then you're department head/professor. I think one academic and one from an employer would be ok too. Not sure about the school principal though ..... seems a bit long ago....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It depends on what they are looking for. One of the other threads here is about whether to do your masters/PhD in another college, so in many ways this issue didn't arise for me. However I did apply for an IRCSET so I have come across this.

Some colleges actually stipulate who they want references from, and how many from each. Some might be very specific and need one from the head of department, and some might insist on someone like a former employer.

Make sure though that you know what your references would say about you. The boss where I had a part time job said that she'd have no problem doing me a reference, and said she wouldn't have a bad word to say about me at all. But always think about what someone might say about you - have you and them had a long forgotten run-in a while ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

I could probably get the supervisor of my final year project, also a dept Lecturer , and the head of the Dept to give me references. I'm in the (probably)unique position of applying for a postgrad in the same department I'm in now, so I may call up to the guy in charge of the postgrad tomorrow and see what he recommends. Thanks for your help guys!:)

Advertisement