Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airports & Piercings

Options
  • 03-04-2007 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭

Hey.

Did some googling and got some mixed answers, but i'm just wondering if many people have problems with their piercings and airport metal detectors?

I plan to do a bit of traveling in the coming months and just wondering if i'll be setting off alarms left right and center.:rolleyes:

Do people just take them out and put them back in on the plane?

I have my lip, nipple and tongue pierced btw.

Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

i have my tongue pierced and various ear piercings and i have never had any problems going through airport security (American, Irish, English and Greek airports anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

They shouldn't set off the alarm. I've gone through them with 20+ piercings quite a few times and didn't hear a thing. I've heard of them getting set off on rare, rare occasions but even if that happens they shouldn't make you take them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Squarepanties

Same here...gone through Irish, American, few other European...with 15+ and never had a problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

metal detectors as far as i know only detect metal that are used in guns, iv gone through quite a few airports too and nothing has ever happend.
    thats not to say that if you have some huge gauge jewellery somewhere made of metal that it wont set it off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Wilburt wrote:
    metal detectors as far as i know only detect metal that are used in guns, iv gone through quite a few airports too and nothing has ever happend.
    thats not to say that if you have some huge gauge jewellery somewhere made of metal that it wont set it off :)

Metal detectors detect metal full stop. The eyelets on Cat Boots, Belt Buckles, Knives, Guns, they detect the lot.

Most piercings don't have enough mass to set the detector off, at least mine don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

ah ok, all metals then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Aye, never had a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

They have a level on the metal dectector three green then it goes to the red zone and the red is where they stop you to search.

As an aside a friend of mine was coming back from israel via germany and got pull in for additional searching due to being pissed and they stripped him down and seen his yakuza beads and wanted to cut them out as they thought they might of been drugs that had been implanted. He managed to talk them out of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Bloody hell that's insane.

I had no problem with mine at any time.

The new 15mm might be a problem tho.
    But we shall see...

Yeah, it's to do with the mass of metal.
    I usually get really funny looks going thro them.
    And I have a bit of a jobe about it.
    It's usually ok tho.

Advertisement