Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a demand for a high quality gym in Waterford

• 03-04-2007 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭

What do people think? I personally would love to see one of the big chain gyms set up in Waterford, the sort of place where they run classes which are included in the monthly fee and use of a pool at any time is also included in the fee.

People in Waterford seem to have a real interest in fitness/sports so it amazes me that there is no large quality (imo) gym in the city.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The demand is there alright. The Tower Hotel leisure centre has a massive waiting list for memberships and with the Ard Rí closed I'm sure that the other hotels are also under pressure to meet the demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

What about Splashworld in Tramore? I can't really see any problems with it. 99.99% of staff are friendly, decent facilities and prices seem reasonable. Also, from my understanding, the only waiting lists are for 3 and 6 month memberships and even those are not that long. They need to get boxing gloves that aren't falling apart though, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

There is a strong demand for a high quality gym in Waterford. I would like a good gym with a pool that works on a pay as you go basis. Most people who like keeping fit would rather be outdoors during the summer months, this thing of paying €500 or whatever for the whole year doesn’t work for me. The times for public swimming in the Crystal sports centre are very strange. There is no swims at 6:00pm & 8:00pm on weekdays, to me this is the time I want to go and I think a lot of people would be the same. I hope that the new gym & pool under construction on the Tramore road will meet the demands of people a bit better. It is a joint venture by Waterford City Council and a gym company from Galway whose name escapes me. Hopefully there experience will be reflected in the service they give and the hours for swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

There definitely is demand. Be nice if there were more gyms in the city that you don't need a car to get to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

What Gyms are in Waterford at present?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭cutback

Minto wrote:
    What about Splashworld in Tramore? I can't really see any problems with it. 99.99% of staff are friendly, decent facilities and prices seem reasonable. Also, from my understanding, the only waiting lists are for 3 and 6 month memberships and even those are not that long. They need to get boxing gloves that aren't falling apart though, lol.

The facilities are pretty dated and I don't like the way the pool is separate from the gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

cutback wrote:
    The facilities are pretty dated and I don't like the way the pool is separate from the gym

Erm... Ok theres the Tower, Waterford Glass, Splashworld, and theres one out in Tycor or something isn't there? No pool with that one though AFAIK.

We're in serious need of a new, high-quality gym!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭PetraMac

There's also the Woodlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mryan

Is there 2 more gyms opening in the city soon? Bridge Hotel and Fitzwilton I heard, could be wrong although there's work going on at the backs of both places at the moment. The serious lack of gyms in town is to blame for the poor service in relation to price, payment options etc.

The best gym in town is Woodlands, but I dont drive, so I use the Tower. The amount of times I hear people complaining about one thing or another is surprising. I generally dont have a problem with the place other than yearly fee is quiet high and not being able to get 6 month membership. And also avoid at busy times or else you'll spend more time hanging around in there.

If somewhere even only slightly better opened in town I reckon they'd lose a lot of custom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

We really do need a proper gym.. as in purpose built. Something along the lines of total fitness in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭cutback

Does anyone know what the new RSC facility is going to involve? Might it be what we are looking for?

Advertisement