Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you look at this site for me?

Options
  • 03-04-2007 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭

I designed this site for my dads business. It seems all over the place and theres no consistency between the home page and the other pages. Looks wise, what can I do to make it better? I'm currently upgrading it to CSS and flash so I feel nows the time for constructive critisism (please, no "CRAPPP!!!" or "DAT SUX").

I'm also adding a form but read that HTML forms don't work with outlook. Is this true? I'm thinking javascript, any info on that would be great.

Heres the site: http://www.gsar.biz

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

get rid of the counter - use statcounter if you need details of visits.
    Why does it open up in a new window when you click enter site?
    Its a bit basic (no offence) but may look good with an upgrade as you say.
    I see its hosted with Digiweb. You will need to see if your hosting a/c can support scripts (ASP/ASP.net/PHP/whatever)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Thanks for your response, no offence taken.

I'm gonna go over some of this stuff with him tomorrow (its 00.50 now so hes in bed) and I'll mention your points.

I'll take a look at statcounters.

I can't quite remember why it opens in a new page, I think I was having a problem with the frames when it was in the first design stage. I can probably get rid of that now though.

Basic? Can you expand?

How can you tell its Digiweb?

(For anyone looking at it with the metalic background its originaly black but were trying to keep it consistent with b-cards)

I did a whois (@ www.whois.sc) to find out the hosting details.
    The site is very web1 rather web2 (God I hate those terms). Have a look at some templates for inspiration e.g. www.oswd.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Seachmall wrote:
    I can't quite remember why it opens in a new page
    Your problem is...
    TARGET="_BLANK"
    ...just delete that from the 'enter site' link.

Actually, I'd ditch that page altogether and incorporate that information as text elsewhere on the site... through the 'contact' link would be a good place to put it, since all the contact link does right now is open a mailto: link... which I find unexpected and unwelcome.
    The only time I want to have my mail client open is if I click on an actual email address.

The "This link is currently unavailable" popup is really annoying.
    If the content for the links isn't ready, I'd put empty pages in place... it'd be orders of magnitude less annoying than having to click 'ok' to alert boxes.

The site doesn't look that bad if I size my browser window just right... but if you view the site at higher resolutions (and a larger browser window) it all starts to fall apart as background images start repeating (badly)... the black frames become visible at the sides... various unnecessary scrollbars appear.
    I think you should lose the frames completely and explore alternative methods to achieve your layout objectives like tables or divs.

If all else fails, aim for simplicity... it's harder to screw up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭randombar

A problem I have with my own site http://www.ratemypub.ie that I'm still working on is the quality of the images, they really need to be sharper to look more professional, There are plenty of button generating programs out there that will do this work for you!

Also like the others said I'd drop a background image that can't repeat itself properly, it's a little thing but makes a big difference

Not sure about the number pad for links either, maybe an expandable linke (example at http://pics.gearoidcorcoran.com)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

kbannon wrote:
    Have a look at some templates for inspiration e.g. www.oswd.org

Seconded. I'd start again TBH. You (like me, so no offense!) are not a designer. Look to designers for inspiration (or hire one if you can afford it). OSWD is a good start, or there are plenty of free/cheap template directories out there.

The splash screen is not big-monitor-friendly (and is not cool anymore!). The keypad navigation is a bit off the wall (but might work if there was a stronger graphical support). Links not working. Poor/no CSS to present text. Stuff like that.

Yeah, I'm gonna revamp it in flash. My CSS is too rusty to go down that road. We've got a few ideas that were messing around with and they're pretty good.

Although I came u with the concept for the site (I think I did anyway, so long ago...) the design was left to my father. In saying, that I did a pretty lazy-ass job on it but this flash one will be top notch.

Regarding the designer statment, I like to think I'm a good designer when left too it. Heres one I did on my ownio. Its a beta and it won't look like this but I thought I'd show you anyway : ).

http://www.gsar.biz/Solfas%20Site.html

Don't judge it too hard as I only had a day flash expierence when I made it. (Don't know why its so big, coulda sworn I resized it.)

is the beta site meant to work? No links worked for me.

getting back to the original site - maybe reconsider using the link to http://www.gsar.biz/DGE_About_Us.html tbh

kbannon wrote:
    is the beta site meant to work? No links worked for me.

getting back to the original site - maybe reconsider using the link to http://www.gsar.biz/DGE_About_Us.html tbh
    No, the links don't work, nothing works in it I just think it looks cool.

Yeah, that DGEnterprises thing was a practice site that I try stuff out on, I meant to get rid of the link, as I said before I got very lazy workin' on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭H3LLg0d

If its as a hobby ,maybe ok < no layout> : awful font

Choice of colour's are dreadful and and i really dislike the way you made the frontpage as 1 graphic <I knew it was one graphic on first click>
    I do like the element on that on the "123 buttons but need to be totally re-designed

• Advertisement

I had to make the front page 1 graphic as it got messed up in IE 5,5.5 and Firefox. The colours, not my choice. The gold and black was nice but the metallic I didn't like at first but it grew on me. But as I say, colours not my desicion.

The 1,2,3.. buttons need to be redesigned? Why?

In relation to the "keypad" type menu, the sites for a home appliance engineer so its supposed to resemble the keypad off a microwave.

Ok colours as you explained;)

I'm somewhat inebriated right now ,so bare with me

The keypad area is pixelated but looks all wrong anyway <shape ,height,position etc

unless your going to change the whole design its probably good way it is

Well I'm building the whole site in flash so I'll be redoing the number-pad so, please, any ideas or comments in now, please!

Although I know flash and actionscript , I really still do hate it,unless , for a banner or 2

I much prefer a well designed css design , and would feel it would more suit your need
    I could recommend some programs and easy tuts if you like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Here's my 2 cent:

1) No point in having a splash page, particularly not one that opens the site in a new window
    2) If you rebuild the whole site in Flash, you'll be crippled in search engines
    3) Site is too wide for 800x600 displays (approx 768 wide visible area, depending on the browser, and half of the navigation disappears if the window is small - definitely not good if someone gets lost or resizes a window)
    4) The indication that the number pad is active is too subtle - at the very least add alt/title tags that will provide tooltips to let the user know that (a) they're active and (b) what they do
    5) Use a different font - the standard TNR font looks like there's no font set
    6) Don't underline things that aren't links - it's confusing
    7) If resizing logos, convert them to full-colour/RGB before resizing and THEN save as gifs - that way, the anti-aliasing will make them more readable; the scrolling banner on the "about" page is a lot better, but remember that animated items distract the eye from reading the main content of the page
    8) Set up the RHS so that the graphic at the top and the buttons underneath are more consistent/tidy in width
    9) Have the images consistent and more "part of" the page
    10) The curve doesn't fit in with the content; if there's a curve, have a reason for it (e.g. put the logo and navigation into the mustard-coloured area)
    11) There's a JavaScript syntax error somewhere
    12) Using the frames will pose problems if you are found in search engines, e.g. if Google does manage to find http://www.gsar.biz/DW%20main.html
    13) Contact link should be more than just a link to the visitor's email program - I clicked it twice before I copped what was wrong. Put the standard contact details (phone, mobile, postal address) on a page along with the email link, and then it'll be more obvious what the visitor should do

Hope the above comments are helpful; I've left out anything related to personal preferences re the colours or the actual design, as those are subjective, but like the posters above, I'd suggest looking at some more modern websites, and also making sure that your navigation is ALWAYS visible and obvious and that it's blatantly obvious what it does. Remember that while a more conventional site might be less "cool", it won't put anyone off looking around or getting in touch, but a site that confuses them or that they can't get around will.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

I think Liam covered pretty much everything.
    Just one other small thing. The logos along the bottom i would scroll them from right to left because it's more natural (and easier) to read.

Seachmall wrote:
    Well I'm building the whole site in flash so I'll be redoing the number-pad so, please, any ideas or comments in now, please!
    KB along with many others loathe unnecessary flash websites.

Liam Byrne wrote:
    1) No point in having a splash page, particularly not one that opens the site in a new window
    Consider it gone.
    2) If you rebuild the whole site in Flash, you'll be crippled in search engines
    Flash ideas gone also.
    3) Site is too wide for 800x600 displays (approx 768 wide visible area, depending on the browser, and half of the navigation disappears if the window is small - definitely not good if someone gets lost or resizes a window)
    ??
    4) The indication that the number pad is active is too subtle - at the very least add alt/title tags that will provide tooltips to let the user know that (a) they're active and (b) what they do
    I feel the keypad is fine but I will ad alt tags.
    5) Use a different font - the standard TNR font looks like there's no font set
    The TNR is trying to keep with the logo (Which was around before me, so don't blame me for it :))
    6) Don't underline things that aren't links - it's confusing
    Agreed
    7) If resizing logos, convert them to full-colour/RGB before resizing and THEN save as gifs - that way, the anti-aliasing will make them more readable; the scrolling banner on the "about" page is a lot better, but remember that animated items distract the eye from reading the main content of the page
    I'll keep these in mind
    8) Set up the RHS so that the graphic at the top and the buttons underneath are more consistent/tidy in width
    You mean the LHS?
    9) Have the images consistent and more "part of" the page
    Which images are these?
    10) The curve doesn't fit in with the content; if there's a curve, have a reason for it (e.g. put the logo and navigation into the mustard-coloured area)
    The logos going in there
    11) There's a JavaScript syntax error somewhere
    Found it.
    12) Using the frames will pose problems if you are found in search engines, e.g. if Google does manage to find http://www.gsar.biz/DW%20main.html
    Will I have to remove the frames or can you stop bots go into those pages?
    13) Contact link should be more than just a link to the visitor's email program - I clicked it twice before I copped what was wrong. Put the standard contact details (phone, mobile, postal address) on a page along with the email link, and then it'll be more obvious what the visitor should do
    We were planning to add a contact page but we were waiting for the form.
    Hope the above comments are helpful
    They sure were.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll be modifying page quite alot. Once I finish my JS book I'll go back over CSS (and then over PHP,mySQL,ActionScript and Java, I hate books!)

The flash idea has been dumped as its too much work and I'm doing a site for someone else in flash anyway (which I'm not designing :))

Also, I don't think my host (digiweb) supports PHP so can I do the forms in HTML? Will they work? I heard they don't with Outlook, is this true?
    And regarding point 2, why will flash cripple search engine possibilites? How else (other than metas and submitting it) do you help the search engine locate the page?

Nikimere,
    I'm still working on the ads banner so I'll change the direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Seachmall wrote:
    ?? (Re window size)

If someone has an 800x600 screen resolution, the visible area within the window (minus scrollbars, etc) is 768 pixels wide
    You mean the LHS? Which images are these?
    Nope - the images on the internal pages, e.g. http://www.gsar.biz/Oven%20main.html
    Will I have to remove the frames or can you stop bots go into those pages?
    Nope - if you did Google wouldn't find anything at all. You'll need to add a script to each page to check if window.location.href=top.location.href, or something like that (years since I used frames, so sorry for being vague
    And regarding point 2, why will flash cripple search engine possibilites? How else (other than metas and submitting it) do you help the search engine locate the page?
    Very few search engines rely solely on head tags; they'll generally index the content to ensure the webmaster isn't lying to them. Header tags, alt tags and general content are almost of equal importance as the title and meta tags nowadays.

The text on HTML pages is easily parsed and indexed; the content of Flash movies isn't. As a rough analogy, do a search on your hard disk for something containing "File", any text document will show up, but Word's EXE file or associated DLLs won't, even though they obviously use the word multiple times.

Advertisement