Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking a CPU?

Options
  • 03-04-2007 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

How do I do this?

Or is that too vague? I wana learn how to do this but dont want to read loads of stuff or is that what I should do?

Can you give me basic steps on how to do it to give me like a foundation at it what are the basics I need to know?

This is what I want to do!

Im getting a new pc about the end of the month and I want to overclock the cpu as 1st!

Im getting this setup

core2duo E6600 with zalman 9500
    EVGA 680i Motherboard
    2GB ddr2 (either Corsair 6400CL4 or OCZ 8500CL5)
    8800GTX

I wana overclock the cpu to 3.0GHz

Is this too difficult to explain in short or will I have to read up on loads of stuff?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

am i think its best for you to read loads of guides and fully understand what ur doing :D

i will look for some guides for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

DeafVision wrote:
    How do I do this?

Or is that too vague? I wana learn how to do this but dont want to read loads of stuff or is that what I should do?

Can you give me basic steps on how to do it to give me like a foundation at it what are the basics I need to know?

Oh no. Reading is essential, lots of reading, reading until your eyes fall out. Basically, the more you read, the more informed you are and the less likely you are to damage your (expensive) hardware.

The basic steps....found by reading. All hardware configurations perform differently. It's better you know the fundamentals and apply them to your needs rather than someone giving you an "overclocking by numbers" for your rig, that way, you are aware of your systems limitations and will hopefully know what to do when something goes awry.

Finally, building and overclocking is more of a hobby, a fantabulous journey filled with highs and lows, rather than a means to an end. If you aren't interested in the fundamentals, buy a dell XPS or an alienware or some other rubbish.

Also, are you getting an aftermarket cooler?

P.S. start reading now, google overclocking, wikipedia, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Im getting a zalmann 9500... Someone on here has it and overclocked there E6600 to 3.26 or something so im guessing getting mine to 3 is safe enough!

Yea I was looking for stuff last night! Found a few things and bookmarked them im going read them tonight cause I couldnt last night cause up early for work :D

Thanks for replies so far anyway! :)

Will post in this tonight with more questions probably afterr reading a few things!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement