Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E4300 overclocking mainboard - which one?

Options
  • 03-04-2007 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭

I have my shopping list here:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.asp?mode=receive&si=450136&su=8E2F109F-C3A2-4B2C-8471-2A186FFD4DF1

The thing I can't decide on is the mainboard, what would be a good one for overclocking? I wouldn't want to spend more than 120-ish on one, if there's a cheaper one, more the better.

Plus, is the cooler I chose any good?

The computer will be mainly used for CAD/maybe the odd game. I'd like it not to be too noisy (I know, overcloking and silence don't mix well :o ), that's why I'm going for the passive graphics card.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

am wait a week or 2 for the 8600s

this is mena be a good cheap overclocking mobo http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=320345

also dump that cooler and get this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=320978

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

what are the 8600s? Next gen graphics cards? I don't think they'll be that cheap, and who knows how much time it'll take for them to get into the shops. X1950 looks to be towards the top of the ATI range currenttly, is it not?

wrt your suggested cooler, looks noisy to me? (Sound Emission 20.9 dBA), whereas my chosen one is rated at 12 dB.

On to the mainboard, abit (geddit? :) ) more expensive than I would have liked... How about this ATI-based Fatal1ty (not sure about the ATI chipset) or this one, based on 650i. The Fatal1ty series are meant to cater for enthusiasts, no? overclocking controls galore and all that :) . Plus, this last one is SLI (not that I'd use it, but good to have the potential and Nvidia 650i chipset, is it good/better than Intel?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The ninja is super-silent and an excellent cooler (can be used passively). Certainly a LOT better than the one you have chosen, especially if you intend overclocking.

I did something similar to this mod. It took about 5 minutes (+ mobo in and out time) and did help a lot.

ok Khannie, will look at that cooler.

What about the Fatalities in my previous post?

they are all a gimick.

• Advertisement

but they are cheaper than your recommended board, and Abit are known for overclocking... I guess I should look for reviews :)

ok my friend that msi board i linked you mena be unreal for overclocking them abits look **** and gay.FULL STOP!!! :D

right...

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/ABIT_FP-IN9_SLI/index.shtml

We all have our favourites but i would go with the Abit board.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I have my E4300 @ 3ghz with an AB9 pro, its a great board, lots of sata ports, and a nice Bios, im using A scythe Ninja and im going to do the mounting mod that Khannie did in the next few days,

To the Woodies mobile! :D

My curent board is an Abit NF7-S, can't fault it at all, also had an Celeron 300A @450 ;) on an Abit (BP6 - was this the dual processor one? then mabe not)

Just dawned on me - the SLI board, will it work with one ATI card? It is designed for Nvidia's SLI after all :confused:

yep will work with ati there is a new dfi board coming out and it looks class its called the infinty p965-s.

now onto the case and power supply. Recommendations? Main thing: as silent as possible :)

antec p180

and anything seasonic,tangan,enermax,ocz.the saeaonics are very silent.

Advertisement