Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exec Elections

• 03-04-2007 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

The nominations are out for the Exec elections:

FINANCE OFFICER
    Natalie Dunne
    Re-Open Nominations

COMMUNICATIONS & I.T. OFFICER
    Stephen Fitzpatrick
    Re-Open Nominations

WOMEN’S OFFICER
    Aisling O'Connor
    Elisa O'Donovan
    Mary O'Flynn
    Re-Open Nominations

OIFIGEACH NA GAEILGE / IRISH LANGUAGE OFFICER
    Aodhan O Dea
    Re-Open Nominations

PROGRAMME OFFICER ELECTIONS

AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE & VETERINARY MEDICINE PROGRAMME OFFICER
    Helen Keane
    Re-Open Nominations

BUSINESS & LAW PROGRAMME OFFICER
    Conor King
    Re-Open Nominations

ENGINEERING & ARCHITECTURE PROGRAMME OFFICER
    Alison Ryan
    Conor Fingleton
    Re-Open Nominations

HEALTH SCIENCES PROGRAMME OFFICER
    Isobel O'Connor
    Re-Open Nominations

SCIENCE PROGRAMME OFFICER
    Paul Fallon
    Re-Open Nominations

NURSING PROGRAMME OFFICER
    Uncontested

ARTS PROGRAMME OFFICER
    Scott Ahearn
    Jonathan Cosgrove
    Claire Gallagher
    Joan Keary
    Re-Open Nominations

I know at least one of the candidates :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Best of luck to the three boardsies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Make it 4 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Steibhin

What does a programme officer do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

They're kinda a head rep for a particular school (well that's my experience of working with them).

They sit on executive in the Students Union but also have an automatic seat on the Programme Boards for the courses they represent. They also nominate class reps to these programme boards as well as sitting on staff student committees for there own course.

They're kinda a head rep for a particular school (well that's my experience of working with them).

They sit on executive in the Students Union but also have an automatic seat on the Programme Boards for the courses they represent. They also nominate class reps to these programme boards as well as sitting on staff student committees for there own course.

I see. So do Arts students just get to vote for the Arts Officer and Law for the Law Officer etc?

Is it a part time position? Sorry for the questions but I have never heard about these progamme officers before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Scraggs wrote:
    Make it 4 ;)

Sorry to whoever I missed (No chalker I dont think you should post the pseudonyms of any of the ppl on that list).

Actually, powers that be, can we have that rule added to the charter, though Ive posted my real name enough times and know many regular posters in real life, can we have it as a rule that you cant refer to another poster by their real name. A)To make this place more user friendly to n00bs and B)because many people dont appreciate it (and Id have always considered it good etiquette anyway.

Steibhin

PROs are unpaid and generally dont take a year out of college

As redeye said they're full time students - they spend a fair bit of time at meetings though.

You get to vote for your own area only i.e. arts vote for arts, law vote for the business and law rep.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If people are going up for election and posting here then I see no problem with their alias and real name being associated tbh.

I think it's up to the individual person to be honest. People will have to state if they intend on posting that they are running in the executive elections. If people wish to go any further I think that should be there own personal decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I agree with Red Alert on this one; as someone who reads this forum a good bit but hardly ever posts, it'd make things a lot clearer if we knew exactly who here is going for election, rather than trying to second-guess everything that people say.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You see, I've thought about this before: I'm not prepared to dictate what you people call each other. If you want to call each other by your real names, so be it, unless the named person has asked not to be named.

I do see the argument that n00bs won't know who's who either, but that difficulty isn't cleared up by banning the use of things other than the boards.ie handle.

For example, if we refer to people by their boards.ie handles in this thread, but speak of them as going for election, then which position? Which of the candidates is it?

If, then, it's common knowledge that X user is Y person in real life, then what harm in using their real name? If it was good enough for their parents, you can be pretty sure it's good enough for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

If, then, it's common knowledge that X user is Y person in real life, then what harm in using their real name? If it was good enough for their parents, you can be pretty sure it's good enough for you.

I'm not convinced the issue is that people are ashamed of their real name :p

I do think that if someone asks not to be referred to by their real name it should be a bannable offence to do so. People have to state affiliations already and I think that should be enough to clear up any confusion, anything more than that is just nosiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

[snip] - due to real name posted - upon request

But there is little point in stating affiliations, if it's unclear as to who they are. For example, somebody might be trying to appear to be somebody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Re-Open Nominations is a good mate of mine and I wish him the best of luck.

fish-head wrote:

Is he on the boards? Can we start guessing what his handle is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Steibhin wrote:
    Is he on the boards? Can we start guessing what his handle is?

Red alert. Hes always hovering around at election times and its no coincidence that both Ron and Red alert start with an R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

fish-head wrote:

This week and this week only.. he scares me!

Glad to see i scare some people ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I'll be voting for Women's Officer if I'm around. That Mary O'Flynn is certainly not getting my vote. Haven't seen the O'Connor girl's manifesto but I'll probably vote for panda/Elisa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

C'mon pythia, why you so against Mary?

I'm not trying to encourage a rant, honestly! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

fish-head wrote:
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

C'mon pythia, why you so against Mary?

I'm not trying to encourage a rant, honestly! ;)

She's a feminist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

decided to vote for elisa.

oh that mary is a feminist comment was brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Pythia wrote:
    I'll be voting for Women's Officer if I'm around. That Mary O'Flynn is certainly not getting my vote. Haven't seen the O'Connor girl's manifesto but I'll probably vote for panda/Elisa.

I agree with you Pythia. I saw her website yesterday and it actually scared me the radical ideas she had which I don't agree with. Hopefully she won't win, although she does have a very good campaign manager.

what's the website address? i need to get incensed about something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Red Alert wrote:
    what's the website address? i need to get incensed about something!

PM sent.

Thankin you! Seems a very militant site - think i'll be voting for Panda; wouldn't wanna let the boards down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Red Alert wrote:
    Thankin you! Seems a very militant site - think i'll be voting for Panda; wouldn't wanna let the boards down!

Can I have the website address please?

Advertisement