Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exec Elections

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Just post the thing here! I wanna look I wanna look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

http://www.votemary.tk/

I'm going to help Elisa, only so to insure Mary doesnt get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dori Duz

I wasn't interested in looking at the web page...but then the link was posted so nosey me had to have a gander.

Now I'm scared.
    Very scared.
    Make the scary lady go away please.

and participation by women in the SU is lousy.

Wow. If I was a female class rep in UCD, I'd be fairly pissed off right about now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

It's feminists like her that give crazy people a bad name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I like the fact that the ad I saw on the website was one of a very sexualised picture of Britney Spears, doesn't really fit in with her campaign message!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

will certainly vote for the boardsie shaped candidates...'think of the PoWAA!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

Do the others going for election have webpages too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Do the others going for election have webpages too?

Panda's one is voteelisa.bebo.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

From the website of Mary O'Flynn...

If elected, Mary O’Flynn will:
    - Campaign at a national level for reform of the abortion laws
    Sorry, since when did women’s officer in UCD become a national powerbase for social change?
    - Provide frank, accessible information on all three options available to women including names of abortion clinics
    That’s right, break the law and have the Union taken to court….where on precedence, they will lose….horribly

- Demand that the morning-after pill be made available over the counter
    See previous powerbase comment
    Oppose the deportation of women facing oppression and exploitation in their home countries
    Eh im pretty sure everyone opposes that?
    Promote awareness of the experience of women’s oppression around the world
    First-hand experience Mary?…no? didn’t think so
    Challenge racism and fight for a tolerant, multi-cultural campus
    Surely anyone in the SU is committed to that?
    Support the work of Ruhama, a charity that helps the victims of trafficking and forced prostitution
    Since when is it the SU’s job to assist other charities? Unless you mean morally support….which EVERYONE DOES!
    Show zero tolerance for sexism on campus
    Ok, better, actually fits the job description….but what does zero tolerance mean? Is there going to be a vigilante enforcement group?
    Campaign for better lighting and organise self-defence classes for women
    And weak men? Men get mugged too….
    Organise the publication of a magazine of women’s issues written by the women of UCD
    To achieve what? Is this not patronising?
    Hold regular screenings of relevant films in collaboration with Film Soc
    Ah, “womens films”. That’s awfully discriminatory….I love Notting Hill
    Arrange work-shops on public speaking to encourage female participation in the Students' Union
    Really….cos im pretty sure that LawSoc and L&H kinda already do some public speaking?
    Oppose Sexism in all its forms, be it sexist posters on campus, sexual harassment, or ridicule of a woman’s sexuality. It will not be tolerated!
    What does “woman’s sexuality” mean? Heterosexuality? Homosexuality?
    Emphasize the prevalence of eating disorders among young women and promote a healthy body image.
    Repeated

Please somebody, post the results when they're out. I need to know if this woman won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Am I missing something here? She seems to have strong beliefs on a lot of issues but nothing obviously objectionable for a candidate for Women's Officer. From the website, here's what she promises if she gets elected:
    - Campaign heavily on a woman’s right to choose and provide sound, straight forward advice to women on all there options.
    - Oppose Sexism in all its forms, be it sexist posters on campus, sexual harassment, or ridicule of a woman’s sexuality. It will not be tolerated!
    - Emphasize the prevalence of eating disorders among young women and promote a healthy body image.
    - Highlight global women’s struggles and act in solidarity with our discrimination throughout the world.
    - Empower women on campus to get involved in activism and ensure a positive time here in UCD.

Because they are only 5 or 6 of about 30 of her points on her website.

To draw an extreme analogy....Hitler was for a sovereign, united and strong Germany, a stronger economy and restoration of pride in being German.

Broad statements like the ones you picked are rather generic, inoffensive stances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

TheVan wrote:
    Because they are only 5 or 6 of about 30 of her points on her website.

To draw an extreme analogy....Hitler was for a sovereign, united and strong Germany, a stronger economy and restoration of pride in being German.

Broad statements like the ones you picked are rather generic, inoffensive stances.
    Dont do that, just dont.

Well Kaptain, I will.

I wasn't drawing an analogy between Mary and Hitler, nor was I drawing an analogy between Laika and Hitler.

What I was saying was that if you take the broad, generic goals of someone, without looking at the totality of the arguments and aims, then you can come away with a distorted view of reality.

Also, I did say it was an extreme example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Sorry, to be clear about this, I wasn't trying to present a skewed view of her; I was going to pick just random statements from the page, but thought that the section I quoted offered the broadest view of what she'd do if she got elected.
    ...nor was I drawing an analogy between Laika and Hitler.
    Meh, it's been done...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Another nail in the coffin of that selective elitist post?

(for the record it's panda for me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

What part of Mary's web page was scary?

Why does Elisa have a picture of three women in their underwear underneath a load of stuff about promoting a positive body image?

What part of Mary's web page was scary?

Why does Elisa have a picture of three women in their underwear underneath a load of stuff about promoting a positive body image?

I don't know what picture you're talking about but do the three women promote an unhealthy body image or does the sight of a woman in her underwear offend you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

def wont be voting for that militant feminist mary o flynn.she came into a lecture of mine yesterday and her manifesto was laughable and totally beyond the remit of womans officer. on a persoanl front I would encourage all men to vote for the best looking bird for womens officer

humbert wrote:
    I don't know what picture you're talking about but do the three women promote an unhealthy body image or does the sight of a woman in her underwear offend you?

The sight of three women sitting around together in their underwear strikes me as something hilariously unrealistic and lowers the tone of the manifesto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I think the image is a perfect image for the womens officer. It shows healthy,happy women who feel confident with the way they look. This is the image I want to project for the womens officer position.One of the women I see around campus each day...fun,sassy and happy with who they are. I want to promote a more positive image of the union.One that is in touch with the 21st century. My positive body image campaign is really one of a series of mental health issues I will be addressing next year if elected.

panda100 wrote:
    I think the image is a perfect image for the womens officer. It shows healthy,happy women who feel confident with the way they look. This is the image I want to project for the womens officer position.One of the women I see around campus each day...fun,sassy and happy with who they are. I want to promote a more positive image of the union.One that is in touch with the 21st century. My positive body image campaign is really one of a series of mental health issues I will be addressing next year if elected.

Why are they in their underwear?
    I am happy with who I am (dunno if I'm fun or particularly sassy) but I have never felt like sitting around in my underwear with my girl friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I am happy with who I am (dunno if I'm fun or particularly sassy) but I have never felt like sitting around in my underwear with my girl friends.

There in vest tops and shorts. Hardly frilly sexy lingerie.Theres not even a bra in sight!

The sight of three women sitting around together in their underwear strikes me as something hilariously unrealistic and lowers the tone of the manifesto.

I think you may have missed the point by a shocking margin, well elisa has explained that, but to suggest it's meant to depict women just sitting around in an every day sort of way is laughable*laughs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I'm sure if you had posed, then Elisa would have put you in. But you didn't. You prefer to write here complaining, instead of liberating yourself of all clothing and pout sexily for the camera. Shame on you.
    Yes, any red-blooded male would give each of those girls one, then another, then another, but maybe that is because only sassy, sexy, really hot girls would pose for Elisa. That's not Elisa's fault, that's the fault of every girl who complains bitterly at guys staring at hot girls in skimpy clothes, but then turn around and wear wooly jumpers that tickle there chins.

I'm sure if you had posed, then Elisa would have put you in. But you didn't. You prefer to write here complaining, instead of liberating yourself of all clothing and pout sexily for the camera. Shame on you.
    Yes, any red-blooded male would give each of those girls one, then another, then another, but maybe that is because only sassy, sexy, really hot girls would pose for Elisa. That's not Elisa's fault, that's the fault of every girl who complains bitterly at guys staring at hot girls in skimpy clothes, but then turn around and wear wooly jumpers that tickle there chins.

The girls are from a dove add afaik it was the truly hilarious one in which women were encouraged to campaign for real beauty while also buying Doves firming lotion, whatever the hell that is. Is the irony of that also lost on boardies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Why not. I mean its closest to women in their natural form. In fact the only way they would be more natural would be to lose the underware.

The USI abandoned thier own womens council several years ago. I think that the same should apply to this position.

One of the Manifesto's is wholly unrepresentative of the students in UCD. Many are militantly pro life (im not talking about myself, but others who are still student card holders in the college). Furthermore, no Women's officer manifesto that I have ever seen, has dealt with the issue of Abortion in such a vitriolic, and to a certain extent fanatical way.

From the Womens Office (given its archaic nature), Local issues should be prioritised. There should be no question of national campaigns etc. There are copious amounts of political parties around the college which have a focus on pro choice issues. And I feel its rather arrogant to assume that all women in UCD are Pro Choice, because I can assure they are not

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I know an awful lot who are not pro choice. She's a militant - reminds me a lot of that awful Aoife Mulqeen woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I'd consider myself pro-choice, but she even alienated me in how militantly she spoke about her views on abortions in the 2 lecture addresses I've seen her give. I'm surprised that she hasnt realised that such militancy will not only alienate possible supporters, but also encourage them to actively go out and vote when they wouldnt have been bothered before to ensure she doesnt get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Would you rather she lied about what she intended to do in the position?

Advertisement