Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exec Elections

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

panda100 wrote:
    I think the image is a perfect image for the womens officer. It shows healthy,happy women who feel confident with the way they look. This is the image I want to project for the womens officer position.One of the women I see around campus each day...fun,sassy and happy with who they are. I want to promote a more positive image of the union.One that is in touch with the 21st century. My positive body image campaign is really one of a series of mental health issues I will be addressing next year if elected.

Interesting stuff on your bebo page about those scary pro life people. You gave a decent lecture address today in 3rd year economics so i'll probably vote for you. I can't really believe mags make you feel **** as you said on your bebo page though. You looked fairly stunning today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Sangre wrote:
    Would you rather she lied about what she intended to do in the position?

Of course I wouldn't rather that she lie. I'd rather that she not attempt to use the position of representative of the women of UCD as a whole to force her own agenda on such a sensitive and divisive issue. Like I said, I'd be pro-choice, but I recognise that a large portion of the group she would be supposed to represent would not be. I wouldn't support a militant pro-lifer in the position either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

beanyb wrote:
    Of course I wouldn't rather that she lie. I'd rather that she not attempt to use the position of representative of the women of UCD as a whole to force her own agenda on such a sensitive and divisive issue. Like I said, I'd be pro-choice, but I recognise that a large portion of the group she would be supposed to represent would not be. I wouldn't support a militant pro-lifer in the position either.

So you rather she reflected the views of the union as a whole? Fair enough but how is she possibly supposed to ascertain all these opinions, let alone the majority view?

Perhaps by putting herself forward for an exec position with her manifesto and agenda clearly set out? No doubt an election to office would indicate that the majority support her agenda and views on the issue. If she's not voted in then obviously her views aren't widely accepted and if that's the case she shouldn't WO then.
    I'm surprised that she hasn't realised that such militancy will not only alienate possible supporters, but also encourage them to actively go out and vote when they wouldn't have been bothered before to ensure she doesn't get in.

tbh, id find it refreshing that someone is honest about their (unpopular) beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Is polling closed now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

ballooba wrote:
    Is polling closed now?
    Nope, the times are available somewhere on www.ucdsu.net/newswire
    [sorry I'm not more specific I think I might just cry if I've to see any more Union crap :)]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Scraggs wrote:
    Nope, the times are available somewhere on www.ucdsu.net/newswire
    [sorry I'm not more specific I think I might just cry if I've to see any more Union crap :)]
    Thank God I got your vote before you got fed up then;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

TheVan wrote:
    Ah, “womens films”. That’s awfully discriminatory….I love Notting Hill

womens films=**** films.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

TheVan wrote:
    Well Kaptain, I will.

I wasn't drawing an analogy between Mary and Hitler, nor was I drawing an analogy between Laika and Hitler.

What I was saying was that if you take the broad, generic goals of someone, without looking at the totality of the arguments and aims, then you can come away with a distorted view of reality.

Also, I did say it was an extreme example.
    You drew an analogy between Mary's Manifesto and Hitler's, its obviously an analogy and you even said you were drawing an analogy.

First theres Goodwins law,
    and then theres the nastiness of the analogy,
    and sure while we're at it, the general insensitivity and trivialisng of the holocaust.

It was a bad analogy, and imo detracts from your stance. Everytime I see someone invoke Goodwins law I just ignore what ever they're saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Interesting stuff on your bebo page about those scary pro life people. You gave a decent lecture address today in 3rd year economics so i'll probably vote for you. I can't really believe mags make you feel **** as you said on your bebo page though. You looked fairly stunning today.

Oh thats so sweet!:o I think my lecture addresses are getting worse then better though at this stage.

I agree with Sangre that it is refreshing in an su election for someone to tell the truth and Mary is very truthful about her opinions. We've had so many elections were people just lie on their manifesto about political affiliations,their aims etc so Mary is pretty refreshing.

P.S I think my manifesto is pretty refreshing too.A breath of freh air from the usual manifestos.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

Last I heard from people counting the votes, mary is winning. Best she could do for the Union is get them sued if she carries out some of her manifesto ideas. Hopefully second preferances from aishling will transfer to Elisa and Elisa will win. Or at least go to ron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I heard the same thing. Democracy making a mockery of itself once again, if the rumours are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

they're counting already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

they're counting already?

Nope, 10:00 in Astra Hall 2moro. The last time a polling clerk gave I hint I heard of, it was that Laura Greene polled well, which she didn't. We won't know anything until tomorrow... I'm super nervous!

Steph, Panda and Dajaffa are smart people. Its just a pity the union will never understand their brilliance

Brilliance? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

The girls are from a dove add afaik it was the truly hilarious one in which women were encouraged to campaign for real beauty while also buying Doves firming lotion, whatever the hell that is. Is the irony of that also lost on boardies?
    You can also say the same thing about their moisturiser... "buy this or your skin will be manky" I consider that the same as what you brought up and I don't think anyone has a problem with it!

Results are up http://www.ucdsu.net/newswire.php?story_id=1445

Aisling O'Connor got women's officer

Scott Ahearn + Clare Gallagher got Arts PO

Conor Fingleton got Eng & Arch PO

Everyone else beat RON

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Congratumulations Dajaffa and Minister :) , hard luck Panda

Was there anyone else off here running for anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Yay, yet another year of no women's officer to speak of. Woohoo! :rolleyes:

At least Panda would have done something, and her manifesto even states a desire to get the position changed from Women's officer to equality officer (in not so many words) unless I read it really wrong.

Congrats dajaffa, The_Minister, and whoever else posts here and got in. Comiserations Panda. (Well, they never said anything about the best woman winning, just the best man. Sucks!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Thank goodness Mary didn't get it!

Now I've to give up my role though. I'll make it into a sticker and stick it on Conor at the next council... and 2 Conor PRO's... :eek: Life will be so confusing

81%!!! Yeah! A one-man campaign team gets 81%. Cool....

....Oh, and I hope there is no polling in the hospitals next year. A higher % of them ronned me then eng did.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

81%!!! Yeah! A one-man campaign team gets 81%. Cool....

....Oh, and I hope there is no polling in the hospitals next year. A higher % of them ronned me then eng did.
    Well done man! Hard luck, panda. You should have got it. You were the only one I saw campaigning at all.

Congrats to everyone else.

PS T_M, I assume you meant "more than eng". :P

I was quite purr-leased with my 90%!

Hard luck Panda, you would have done a great job I'm sure, at least you kicked ass in the faculty that really matters!!

I have to say I gave MOF my 4th preference. After some of the disgraceful things she said today I only wish I could have given her.. oh a five or something.

Congrats T_M too, that race has a nasty tendency to attract RONs, but you did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Well done lads, hard luck Elisa, you deserved to win that after all your effort. There's always a Med Soc position for you I'm sure, next year's committee would do well to have your services :) .

Thanks for the tip Hulla.

I just want to agree with what Dejaffa said. Mary's speach was nasty and underhand, but it must be remembered that she gave that speach after an entire bottle of wine.

but it must be remembered that she gave that speach after an entire bottle of wine.

I see where you're coming from, but that's no excuse for one particular comment she made.

dajaffa wrote:
    I see where you're coming from, but that's no excuse for one particular comment she made.

Which was? I've been reading this thread and I've absolutely no idea what you're talking about... unless I happened to skip over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Yea people! cliquey hacks :rolleyes: "that comment she said" nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Public board, bring it up - blurt it out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I would like to know too..its hardly going to be slander unless the comments were misinterpreted.

To be honest I'm not willing to repeat it. Suffice to say she said something completely horrible and about another candidate, something I would never say about anyone EVER.

• Advertisement

Then don't bring it up.

Advertisement