Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best attractions in Cork

Options
  • 04-04-2007 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Myself and Girlfriend are going to Cork this Easter wkend. Sat-Mon. Any advice on where is best to visit/attractions etc. Is it worth going to Cobh/Yaughal or is there enough to see in the city?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm not around on Saturday, so we'll have to make it Sunday or Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 old man

The bus station to go home is about all i'd recomend. That is if bus eireann have any buses going. More often then not they don't

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

Depends on what you're into I suppose as usual.

In the City you have Shandon and the Old Gaol in Sundays Well, well worth doing a walk in the sunshine (hopefully it stay like this) from city centre to shandon then from shandon to old gaol via the north mall and then down to Fitzgeralds Park via the shaky bridge stopping for a coffee in the cafe behind the museum.

You just have to visit the English Market for a wander and a meal in the Farmgate Restaraunt upstairs. Other good restaraunts worth a visit are Greenes, Jacobs on the Mall, Jacques, Les Gourmadiles (all expensive and dressy). For medium priced Isaacs, SoHo (also a bar), Amicus, Milanos (Pizza) and Il Padrino (best Italian). If you do go to the Crawford Art Gallery (well worth a visit) then their cafe is also worth checking out.

A place I'm always telling people to visit which could be done with a slight detour on the above walk is the Glucksman Gallery in UCC an absolute gem of a building and usually has some good exhibitions on even if that usually isn't your thing. Again an excellent cafe in there as well. You probably see a theme emerging here which is that good restaraunts and cafe's is one thing that Cork is definitely blessed with, all our other claims can be debated!

Other places worth a visit in the City Centre are St. Finbarrs Cathedral and the nearby Elizabeth Forth.

For nights out it's worth checking out the Opera House website and the forum www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com website as well as the www.whazon.com websites for events listings. I think maps of the City Centre can be downloaded there as well. The Savoy nightclub is probably worth checking out and my favourite bar in the city centre is the roundy by Daunt Sq.

Hope you enjoy your weekend.

Advertisement