Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISP & Modems

Options
  • 04-04-2007 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I ran my ISP today to switch my account over to another name as I am moving soon. As this was a new customer and I would be moving with my modem/wireless router I asked them to send out another modem.

I was gobsmacked to be told that they would not send out another modem as they stated that the modem that was origionally sent out to me was apparently still property of the provider and that at the end of my contract I was to return the modem or be billed for it.

I am almost 100% certain that this is incorrect as I recall differently from the contract (if I ended the contract early I woudl have had to return the modem but at this stage I am well over two yeas in) and I was also speaking to someone in accounts.

Can anyone tell me whats the best way to approach this with my service provider as I want them to send out a new modem to me?

PDD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I'm not sure there is anything you can do, a lot of the time the modem is their property.

Why don't you just leave the modem there and get them to send you another one when you are set up in your new place?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The name of the ISP would be a help but in general the equipment remains their property and must be returned on termination.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

kaizersoze wrote:
    The name of the ISP would be a help but in general the equipment remains their property and must be returned on termination.

Yes the name would be good but the first step should be to check your terms and conditions.

And if you are checking your terms and conditions make sure that you check the terms and conditions that were applicable when you signed up not those currently in place.

Contrary to what some contributors to boards seem to believe isps are not modem dispensing charities. Modems presumably are a significant cost to isps.

Advertisement