Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank & Laser Cards - anyone?

Options
  • 04-04-2007 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I have a dual account with Ulster Bank. I want a Laser card. I rang the telephone banking guys and they said I'd need to change my account to a current account and then fill in a form, in my branch.

I popped in today and was told that I need my salary paid into my bank account in order to get a current account. I was then told I'd need a current account to get a Laser card as it was a "risk card" (as she described it).

Does anyone know if there's anyway around such things? Ulster Bank is just my second bank account but I'd generally have at least a few hundred in it.

Also, how is a Laser card a "risk card"? The amount is deducated from your available balance instantly?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The amount is deducated from your available balance instantly?

Not always, no.

And I doubt there is any way around it. Ulster are just doing the exact same thing as the other banks (like AIB) did up until a while ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

So Ulster Bank are just a little behind the times then?

And what do you mean "Not always, no.". I was under the impression your available balance was decremented, have I been misinformed?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Laser is authorised from your balance, but not always deducted immediately.

I don't follow BuffyBot ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

A dual account is basically a savings account with a card. I think youll find you earn credit interest on any balances you have there...

The laser card is for a normal current account only and its simply not available as part of the Dual account product. If you want a laser card you have to have a current account....

• Advertisement

As I said above, they wouldn't give me a current account unless my salary was paid into it - bizzare I thought - unless I'm missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

I had the same problem they wanted 4 months payslips?????Duh I am a student, so they offered me a student account,€650 overdraft and guess what a laser card as well?????
    Ulster Bank are useless...had a problem with them lately over getting my credit card limit extended for a once off purchase...I even offered to credit my account with more money than I was spending....Call center staff were pure ignorant and they hung up on me....Rang BOI and they did everything for me....

Advertisement