Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The most hated family in the world

• 04-04-2007 1:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭

Description: Fantastic Louis Theroux documentary about homophobic, anti-semitic religious lunatics (Fred Phelps' Westboro Baptist Church) in the USA. Originally aired on BBC2 (UK). If you can look past the epithets without being offended, it's a laugh riot. Fred Phelps comes across as REALLY stupid!

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2fUyJQgRuM

This family makes me angry, how could anyone hate the very people who fight to protect their freedom, free will and freedom of speech?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

I saw an episode of this the other day (the last one I believe) I really took pity on their children who are completely naive and growing up thinking this is the way they should act and it is the norm!
    I also wasn't really convinced that one of the daughters truly believed all this, she just didn't seem sure of herself and seemed to some of his questions/comments
    Excellent documentary tho, I'll havta watch the rest of them!

EDIT: Oops... I thought there was a few parts to this documentary, but it's just the one on YouTube split into 7 parts!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

They are nothing but a "cult" that spread a so called religion of hate, lies and deception and have absolutly nothing got to do with Christianity. They themselves will have alott more to answer for on judgement day than any of one of those that they are condeming. I also feel sorry for those kids being drawn into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Bradidup wrote:
    They are nothing but a "cult" that spread a so called religion of hate, lies and deception and have absolutly nothing got to do with Christianity. They themselves will have alott more to answer for on judgement day than any of one of those that they are condeming. I also feel sorry for those kids being drawn into it.

Yes I totally agree with you. The kids are being dragged into it and will grow up living like that, more than likely with the result of ruining their life. It reminds me of the Davidians, they were a cult in a town in wacho I think it's spelt. These are a cult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Absolutely bonkers, wouldn't give them the time of day.

• Advertisement

Yes I totally agree with you. The kids are being dragged into it and will grow up living like that, more than likely with the result of ruining their life. It reminds me of the Davidians, they were a cult in a town in wacho I think it's spelt. These are a cult.

The only difference between this "cult" and that of Waco is that these admit they don’t use physical force but with so much hate bottled up I wouldn’t put a pass on it. They should be very closely monitored. Jim Jones and Waco started off in a similar manner as a religious commune and then gathered momentum. Those kids should also be taken off them and put into childcare for their own safety.

They should also be stripped of the "Baptist" title. All the Baptist churches in America have isolated themselves from them. There is one church in Ottawa Canada that holds the same title "Westbrook Baptist Church", and even they have a disclaimer on their website http://www.westborobaptist.ca/6.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I would hate to be one of the children of that hitler family... And what scares me is that they think they're doing good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭insafehands

Quite a good documentary, really.

Otherwise, eejits. I can't see how there hasn't been or won't be a murder soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

People should check out other programmes done by Louis Theroux. The one he did about gambling in Las Vegas was very interesting as was the Pro Wrestling one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Mossy Monk wrote:
    People should check out other programmes done by Louis Theroux. The one he did about gambling in Las Vegas was very interesting as was the Pro Wrestling one.
    Yep after watching this I watched all the other Louis Theroux programmes I could find. Great viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

at the end of chapter 6 he was asking the former documentary maker did he rejoice when solders die and the other church burned down, but he should have asked him, "Did you rejoice when one of your members, a small child, was hit in the face by a drink cup?" that would have been a good one, see how long he jabbered on about God's judgement then.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

dam it's been removed, anyone know if it has been posted elsewhere?

Zascar wrote:
    The BBC were chasing it for copyright reasons, It was also removed from the cults own website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Zascar wrote:

Bastards!, thats what I get for watching half and then saying I'd watch the rest later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭imprezza

I saw this one too and Joy of Joys it was the best advertisement for Paganism ever. Ah the good oul inbreeding always does the trick. I thought the older daughter? or whoever she was looked pretty hormonal when she was hovering around Louis. He's no oil painting imo but I thought she was quite flirty but playing the part for the publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

Zascar wrote:

Yup!

(300th post w00t!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I saw this programme when it was broadcast on the BBC. At first I felt angry that these people could be so prejudiced about other people they've never met and know nothing about. Then I felt sad for them when it became obvious anybody could be a target of their hatred, from Princess Diana to relatives of soldiers who've been killed in Iraq. I felt especially sad for the children. Not just because of the abuse they suffer now, but also because of the prejudiced and hateful attitudes they were being indoctrinated with for the rest of their lives. I think that's going to be difficult for them to overcome, and does them a terrible disservice.

Louis Theroux is a brilliant documentary film journalist, he's great. Only one equally engaging is Jon Ronson, who has done a series on extremist groups in the US: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Ronson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

DEmeant0r wrote:
    This family makes me angry, how could anyone hate the very people who fight to protect their freedom, free will and freedom of speech?
    I'm sure you meant well but:
    A: It's titled as the most hated family in America, not the world.
    B: U.S. Soldiers dying in Iraq are not dying to protect the freedom, free will or freedom of speech of their fellow Americans.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If i had a family member die, and had these hicks picket the funeral, i swear to god (no pun inteded ;) ) i would kick the living crap of each and every one of them. I'm not the biggest supporter of the war in Iraq, but there is such a thing as common decency, and respect for the dead.

I sincerly hope these 'people' get whats coming to them.

edit...after watching the whole thing, its only some of them that i would like to hurt...namely the parents who forced this crap into their kids heads.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i dont hate them, i feel sorry for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I watched that LT documentary last week, what a bunch of nutters!
    but, coincidentally I heard about them the very next day on the news as they are going to be picketing the funerals of the poor victims of last weeks Massacre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Caco wrote:
    Yup!

(300th post w00t!)

Thanks for that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i dont hate them, i feel sorry for them.

I feel sorry for the younger people there...and i realise the mother (queen bitch) had the same crap put in her head from a young age, but i cant feel anything but disgust for her.
    Victor_M wrote:
    but, coincidentally I heard about them the very next day on the news as they are going to be picketing the funerals of the poor victims of last weeks Massacre!

If they did this, then there would have been absolute war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I love Louis Theroux's programmes and have been watching them for years, but I thought he was a bit too easy on these guys. I understand that you have to be easy to gain continual access to the subjects, but he didn't really challenge them as much as he could have. I really wanted him to ask questions like "If your child died, would you be celebrating that as part of God's plan?"

These assholes have been around for a while now, and they try to picket as many newsworthy funerals as they can. They threatened to picket the funerals of those Amish kids who were shot to death last year, but I believe now there's some vigilante biker gang who follow them around and prevent them from doing this ****.

EDIT: Yes, here they are - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_guard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

I............don't know what to think of these people.........with every crazy stance people take on modern goings on in the world from shape-shifting reptiles, 9/11 conspiracies, evangelical Christians and everything in between, at least these things have people who believe in them but with the WBC, nobody, and I mean nobody, agrees with these guys, they are unbelievably twisted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

So Glad wrote:
    I............don't know what to think of these people.........with every crazy stance people take on modern goings on in the world from shape-shifting reptiles, 9/11 conspiracies, evangelical Christians and everything in between, at least these things have people who believe in them but with the WBC, nobody, and I mean nobody, agrees with these guys, they are unbelievably twisted.

You're right. Even the KKK hate them. They've been known to pass out pamphlets criticizing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

Exit wrote:
    You're right. Even the KKK hate them. They've been known to pass out pamphlets criticizing them.

The KKK, man, I thought they were out of the game :P

Yeah but, it's just pure, unadulterated hatred. You can see it in their eyes (although not the young ones, they don't know what they are saying, neither do the teens, they are just following papa bear) their blank, almost black pupils with not an inch of love or feeling, telling you unflinchingly you are going to hell because you're a fag, and with a little smirk.

Advertisement