Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

small shops who dont hand out receipts

Options
  • 04-04-2007 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

really pisses me off sometimes, went into such a place today with the ma, bought a few basic things (well she did). 1e change out of 20 notes for a paper, washing powder, fabric cond, waffles, 2 magnums and a few more things.

no receipt at all of course. crazy the way we are fleeced in this place

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Did you ask for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

After a transaction has one through, some tills are not able to issue a receipt, however some tills can print out a receipt, usually if you ask after the transaction, they just hit one button called "receipt" and it will print.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Most people don't need a receipt for such small transactions, but it should always be available on request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

I have seen signs in some shops saying that they must hand the customer a receipt as it is the law to do so?

Is this correct

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It is the law. But if you don't ask for one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I'd usually expect to get a receipt anywhere as a matter of course.
    Shouldn't have to ask for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

It is the law that everyone must be given a receipt. However it does slow things down immensely. Think about the last 5 times you bought something. How often did you want one? It is another of the crap laws we have that nobody really bothers about.

The issue is really did you ask for one?

If you ask for one and it is refused then thats wrong, if you didnt ask then its your own fault.

99 out of 100 customers that come into my shop would not appreciate being kept waiting while the tills print receipts. Not to mention the fact that out of all the receipts that are printed, most of them end up on my floor or blowing around on the street outside.

Oh, and one last thing, depending on the washing powder you bought, the magnums at about 1.50 each, the size and brand of conditioner, and the other small items, one euro change out of 20 quid could be about right in a small shop! If still in doubt, due a quick calculation using the shelf labels.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It is the law that everyone must be given a receipt.
    I don't think so. I think the law says that everyone must be offered a receipt.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'd really prefer if someone tacked the shops for giving receipts out that are far too long. Superquinn are the worst offenders in this - if you buy a bar of chocolate you'll get a receipt that's nearly as long as a foolscap page.

I think it's about time the receipt rolls were taxed like plastic bags - imagine the crap they'd take off them if they had to pay a euro for every roll to the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

From Junior Cert business studies way back I know there is NO obligation for shops to provide receipts. Pretty suprising I know.

Maybe things have changed since then but this article from 2004 is about trying to change the current situation.
    http://www.finegael.ie/news/index.cfm/type/details/nkey/24480/pkey/653

"Currently, according to the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment, there in no legal obligation for shops or service providers to provide a receipt."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭maireadmarie

I was absolutely surprised to discover during a phone call to the office of Consumer Affairs some time ago that a shop doesn't have to give a receipt! It certainly makes it difficult to check prices, or what you've been charged if you suspect later you've been charged too much. Or what do you do if you want to exchange something?
    I realise most large stores do give them, but that they don't have to is unbelievable.
    This is a crazy country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

After 10 years working in Supervalu, Spar, Centra and now Londis - I stand corrected...

Advertisement