Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windows Tinting

Options
  • 04-04-2007 7:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭

While it would seem more people actually want to tint their back and side windows I don't. It makes the inside too dark and I've nothing to hide! ;)

I am looking at a 2nd hand car that has this done and I would actually like to remove the tints. Can anyone tell me is this a problem?

It is something that I can do myself? The tinting looks like a film of darkish plastic, could I find the corner of it and start pulling or am I better going to a Professional outfit?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

If it has been tinted with adhesive film you can remove it by peeling it off, this job will be made easier by holding a cloth soaked in very hot water against it for a few seconds to soften the adhesive. You will always have some adhesive residue and this can be removed with thinners or any strong solvent (acetone/petrol). It is sometimes difficult to get all the film off and removal of door cards will be necessary. Get a packet of Stanley blades for scraping and trimming.

On the other hand, you could just buy a car that doesn't have tints...

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 22 vshastak

jayok wrote:
    It is something that I can do myself?
    It's a very good idea to use a HAIRDRYER! It works much better than cloth. After that you need a tinner of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hairdryer is also very good for removing stickers from cars generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Remove the inside door panels and scrape the windows down with a stanley blade.

*Important* use a brillo pad or other wire wool product on your back window to avoid damaging the heating filement.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

layke wrote:
    *Important* use a brillo pad or other wire wool product on your back window to avoid damaging the heating filament.
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

When I was tinting windows that's how we used to remove it. Wire wool won't scratch your back window heating filament (the lines that go through your back window to de-fog it).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

layke wrote:
    When I was tinting windows that's how we used to remove it. Wire wool won't scratch your back window heating filament (the lines that go through your back window to de-fog it).
    Strange .. I'd have thought exactly the opposite, hence the :confused: The lines on most windows are actually on the inside surface of the glass, not embedded in it .. you can feel them if you run your finger over the surface, so I'd assume anything abrasive would wear them away.

Advertisement