Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 have 1.6% of the market

• 04-04-2007 8:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

I was just reading a report from one of the sunday papers and it seems that 3 has only taken 1.6% of the market in their first 18 months - 77,000 customers at the beginning of 2007.

Just wondering if anyone knows why they're not pulling in more customers?

is it price?
    or is it just that people don't care about 3G services yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭nodger

Solair wrote:
    I was just reading a report from one of the sunday papers and it seems that 3 has only taken 1.6% of the market in their first 18 months - 77,000 customers at the beginning of 2007.

is it price?

I think that the average Joe Soap doesn't want the hassle of changing providers . Also, their customer service had a really bad rep when they launched first, and that sort of impression sticks in peoples heads.

I've been with them since September 2006 and I have to say I'm 95% happy with them. The only downer is that if you're in an area where the 3G signal is weak, it can sometimes mean that you're left with no service until your phone connects to the Vodafone 2G network. My SE K800 was very slow to do this, but I'm using a Nokia 6233 now, and it seems to be better at managing the change-over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hermit

I've been with 3 for almost a year now and once my contract is up (in 3 weeks) I will be switching providers - I find them extremely expensive and are poor value for money in relation to their packages particularly when compared with Meteor. ( I am speaking about Bill Pay - don't know what their Pay as you go prices are like in comparison to other providers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If all the people you're talking to are on Meteor then Meteor might be better value, but I have yet to see anything from any other provider that matches 3's minute bundles for value. Meteor 200 is €40, the same thing with 3 is €25 for existing customers and for some reason €30 for new customers. Then there's the not insignificant issue of Meteor's coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Blaster99 wrote:
    If all the people you're talking to are on Meteor then Meteor might be better value, but I have yet to see anything from any other provider that matches 3's minute bundles for value. Meteor 200 is €40, the same thing with 3 is €25 for existing customers and for some reason €30 for new customers. Then there's the not insignificant issue of Meteor's coverage.
    the reasoning is that before, 100 minutes and 100 texts was 25 and now with the €19 tariff and a 100 text add on for 24.99, basically the same price and you have the option of taking off the add-on if you don't want it.

200 minutes and 200 texts is now 39 instead of 45. but you're right, for the "just minutes" tariffs, they are now more expensive.

the idea that meteor has bad coverage is a myth btw

their coverage map:
    http://www.meteor.ie/cgi-bin/ni_map_final.pl?x=0&y=0&z=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Im interested in switching to three(3pay). Can I just switch my number and account(from vodafone payg) to 3pay without buying a phone from them?

• Advertisement

Dave6195 wrote:
    Im interested in switching to three(3pay). Can I just switch my number and account(from vodafone payg) to 3pay without buying a phone from them?
    nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

the reasoning is that before, 100 minutes and 100 texts was 25 and now with the €19 tariff and a 100 text add on for 24.99, basically the same price and you have the option of taking off the add-on if you don't want it.

200 minutes and 200 texts is now 39 instead of 45. but you're right, for the "just minutes" tariffs, they are now more expensive.

Sure but 200 min talk was €25 and is now €30.
    the idea that meteor has bad coverage is a myth btw

their coverage map:
    http://www.meteor.ie/cgi-bin/ni_map_final.pl?x=0&y=0&z=0

You can look at maps all day long, in reality Meteor's coverage is much worse than any of the others. It's pretty evident when travelling around with a Meteor phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I, for one, am not surprised at all. Perhaps once they figure out how to run a mobile phone network they'll get some customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Considering that the Voda-O2 cartel has an estimated 94% of the market between them, the fact that 3 pulled in 1.6% is rather impressive, given all the problems thay have had with a minority of customers, and the bad rep they build up because of it. I have been with them since September 2005, and I have no intention of leaving them for now, for what I am getting from them, they are still cheaper then Meteor (€25 200mins on legacy tariff). Asside from the faffing over getting my old nokia unlocked (not such a deal until I got my new handset), I havent had a single problem with them, and i use my phone, a lot.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Sure but 200 min talk was €25 and is now €30.
    i said that in my post
    Blaster99 wrote:
    You can look at maps all day long, in reality Meteor's coverage is much worse than any of the others. It's pretty evident when travelling around with a Meteor phone.
    i do that as does pretty much everyone i know and i never lose coverage. my 3 phone often loses coverage indoors because 3g signals don't penetrate as far so i take out my more reliable meteor phone to make a call. i carry both around btw because its much cheaper that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Blaster99 wrote:

I travel alot and have a Meteor phone and have had no problems. I do be in alot of rural areas too and found had a good signal and recieved all calls and have been able to ring who ever I wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

I actually ditched my 3 phone as the service was crap outside Ireland, roaming at crazy prices and bad customer service. Thats why they only 77,000 customers!!! I will never stray from Vodafone again as I get VF Passport for abroad which im always using and its a great service. Also webtext is handy and agreements with nearly all mobile providers worldwide.

Dellas wrote:
    I actually ditched my 3 phone as the service was crap outside Ireland, roaming at crazy prices and bad customer service. Thats why they only 77,000 customers!!! I will never stray from Vodafone again as I get VF Passport for abroad which im always using and its a great service. Also webtext is handy and agreements with nearly all mobile providers worldwide.
    i have a vodafone sim for when i go abroad but they're way too expensive for ireland :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Considering that the Voda-O2 cartel has an estimated 94% of the market between them, the fact that 3 pulled in 1.6% is rather impressive, .

not true they have a little over 80% between them, meteors market share is rocketing at the moment with almost 18%

I don't think 1.6% is all that bad considering they entered a saturated market and I remember meteor having no customers at the start either for a good few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Blaster99 wrote:
    Then there's the not insignificant issue of Meteor's coverage.

eh? this may have been true when they started up first but i doubt it is now. i travel a lot around various parts of the country and i have never had a problem with coverage with meteor. e.g anytime i am in swinford, mayo i sometimes (only sometimes) lose meteor coverage, when i do, my phone immediately switches to O2 (they have roaming agreement, so i am still charged my normal rates, no change).

slightly off topic, if you analyse all the plans offered by vodafone, o2 and meteor they are all relatively the same. where you save money is by analysing how you call/txt people!! if u call vodafone number a lot then it makes sense to stick with vodafone. if you call/txt meteor customers a lot, likewise it makes sense to stick with meteor.

however, if you are like me :), and have a fairly even distribution of calls/txts to vodafone, o2 and meteor (the odd 3 number too) then chose one of the plans with either provider that offers bundles of mins and bundles of txt.

i was thinking of switching to 3 in 2 months times but i will see about sticking with meteor, i will look at vodafone and o2. vodafone plans are ok but they are really mean for phone prices and upgrades imo.

and also this idea of "free voicemail"....free my ar**....they have it factored into the rental and tariff plan....you do not get anything for free in this world...there is always an angle!! :)

just my 2-cents guys!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Solair wrote:

is it price?

Well their phones maybe that little bit cheaper. But they are not a cheap network to be on at all. Compared to meteor, with the free texts offer, meteor are much better value. That be just my opinion as a young enough person. I use the free texts a lot, so for me it is excellent value. I don't think that 3 are as cheap as what people thought they would be. And they did only start selling sim cards recently, well a while ago. But they aren't the greatest compared to any of the other networks. I would be interested to see who are the top in the mobile market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I think they are cheap, but Meteor are cheaper. Meteor are not 3G (yet) so 3 will have to start promoting the advantages of 3G.

When did they start selling sim cards? I thought this was one of the complaints that you could not do.

. And they did only start selling sim cards recently, well a while ago.
    they still haven't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Considering that the Voda-O2 cartel has an estimated 94% of the market between them, the fact that 3 pulled in 1.6% is rather impressive.

I read the same article as the OP and I'm pretty sure it indicated the next provider up from 3 (Meteor) has 10 times the amount of customers that 3 has, making it a total of around 800,00 between Meteor and 3. That means O2 & Vodfone do not have anywhere near 94% of the market and Meteor's relative success makes 3's performance even worse.

The article also mentioned the amount 3 have invested in their Irish setup and the amount was pretty staggering (can't recall exactly), and given they've been here for a decent amount of time, their figures represent a very poor return.

1huge1 wrote:
    not true they have a little over 80% between them, meteors market share is rocketing at the moment with almost 18%

I don't think 1.6% is all that bad considering they entered a saturated market and I remember meteor having no customers at the start either for a good few years
    My mistake, but you have to admit, they still have a massive share of the market, and neither O2 nor Vodafone is remotely competitive. I admit I am biased against Meteor, because I strongly dislike their owner, but, I would love Meteor and 3 to steal a lot more market share from Vodafone and O2, competition is always a good thing.

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

Yeah, I think Meteor have a 17% market share at the moment.

The coverage always puts people off Meteor but I think this has a lot to do with first impressions. When the network was first set up the coverage was poor but it took a while to roll out the network. This network is upgraded constantly to improve coverage and in area's where theirs a known coverage issue Meteor pay other companies so Meteor customers can roam onto their cells. This is mostly throughout the west of Ireland though. Their was a National Roaming agreement in place between Meteor and 02, this has now been changed to Vodafone which should boost coverage in these area's even further.

My mistake, but you have to admit, they still have a massive share of the market, and neither O2 nor Vodafone is remotely competitive. I admit I am biased against Meteor, because I strongly dislike their owner, but, I would love Meteor and 3 to steal a lot more market share from Vodafone and O2, competition is always a good thing.

Agreed.

Ya I agree the more competition the better and I also strongly dislike meteors owner but meteor have done a lot for the irish market no doubt
    Things certainly are heading in the right direction at the moment with a serious amount of people joinging meteor though the same cannot be said for 3...
    Tesco mobile this summer :D

1huge1 wrote:
    Ya I agree the more competition the better and I also strongly dislike meteors owner but meteor have done a lot for the irish market no doubt
    Things certainly are heading in the right direction at the moment with a serious amount of people joinging meteor though the same cannot be said for 3...
    Tesco mobile this summer :D
    Agreed, and it will be certainly interesting to watch, pity we couldnt have the same luck with the broadband market ¬_¬

Does anyone have any information on Tesco mobile at all?

Does anyone have any information on Tesco mobile at all?

Tesco Mobile will launch this summer. That's it really.

By the way, I rang up O2 yesterday, and they told me that they are NOT increasing the peak hours for Night Owl or Early Bird customers. Looks like all this could be a belated April's Fool joke. Wouldn't it be funny if we all fell for it?

Info on tesco mobile well I can't see them offering the most top of the range phones by any standard even making meteors offering look advanced but what they will excell in is their prices (thats the tesco brand for ya)

Tesco Mobile will launch this summer. That's it really.

By the way, I rang up O2 yesterday, and they told me that they are NOT increasing the peak hours for Night Owl or Early Bird customers. Looks like all this could be a belated April's Fool joke. Wouldn't it be funny if we all fell for it?

Just thinking about it there. I forgot all about April Fools day lol. I wonder will the prices be much better than the other companys at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

Solair wrote:

is it price?

Theyre not pulling in the customers because theyre the worst mobile phone network on the market at the moment. Their customer service is disgraceful and are nothing but needless headaches. Im leaving them as soon as possible

The reason 3 don't have more customers is that so far, they haven't been able to get their act together. And when they do release a new service, it takes them months to actually get it working like it says on the tin. When things don't work, their customer service isn't able to offer any help either, beyond saying that the reason for the latest problem is that "we're still so new" etc etc.

• Advertisement

The reason 3 don't have more customers is that so far, they haven't been able to get their act together. And when they do release a new service, it takes them months to actually get it working like it says on the tin. When things don't work, their customer service isn't able to offer any help either, beyond saying that the reason for the latest problem is that "we're still so new" etc etc.
    Thats the reason people who join them don't like them but not the reason people aren't joining them in the 1st place
    the reason people aren't joining them is market awareness people now have heard of 3 but don't really know what they can do for ya
    A intense marketing campaign like meteor have been doing for the last year or so
    bring in corny characters with somethig like a cast jumping out a window :D not just info
    something that will stick to your minds (my bit of knowledge in advertising...)

Advertisement