Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enclosed area for dog to run

Options
  • 04-04-2007 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Got a rescue dog there a while back. Have kept her on the lead when walking.
    We would love to try her off the lead but would like to try it somewhere that was enclosed, just incase she starting running and got lost.

It there anywhere in the Dublin area enclosed with a good fence that is suitable for dogs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

not really no......have you got an extendable lead to let her have a run. Our lot get walked in the Phoenix Park lots of space to run around. Our dogs have pretty good recall, so they are safe enough in the park, just don't bring them near roads as they have no road sense

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Yes we have an extended lead but would still love for her to have more of a run. She has a good recall unless something catches her interest and then she goes into a world of her own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I take my dog to the beach in the evening when they are very few people around. Dogs love the beach and can run around to their hearts content...

Yes was thinking about a beach early some morning when its quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Hi Niall,

What sort of dog is it? Have you done much training with her? How does she react with other dogs?

I never let mine off the leads (greyhounds) but we're forever trying to fight off other dogs who run up to mine and scare them or try to cause fights. Its a real pain.

Just be cautious - if your dog causes a fight or an injury when he's off the lead, then you're going to be fully responsible (from a legal point) as far as I'm aware.

• Advertisement

Its a cross breed terrier, reacts well with some dogs and not so well with other dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

the civil defence in pheonix park has a large grassy area with a wall surrounding it, - dont know if youre officially allowed in there mind you but when I was younger I used to bring our family dog up there and people going in and out of the place would play with him so presume its not a prob!

Where is that in the park, sounds good, might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

gosh im terrible at directions but here you go!!

come in blackhorse ave gate turn right and its on the left hand side of the main rd. theres a sign that says civil defence! if anyone else has better directions fire ahead - i wouldnt trust mine!!

Thanks for that, I'm sure I will find it.

Thanks for your help;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

I normally bring my dogs to the beach either early in morning or late in evening when nobody around. Also you may think about clicker training for the dog. Its a great and easy way of training dogs, I brought my dogs as pups to this and have used it for my new dog aswell and it hasn't failed. It would be especially good for teaching the dog to return on command either by verbal or whistle.

Hootie

Advertisement