Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart Telecom upgrade wireless speeds

• 04-04-2007 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi folks,

My post is more of a query rather than an outright problem.

Firstly, I am one of the happy custumers with ST.

Recently, I upgraded from their 4MB basic package to the new 6MB for an extra fiver (great value). But the most speed I ever got was 4.45MB on the wireless system. Now I know it's not bad speedwise, but I wonder why is there so much download lost? I use a Netgear router and an Acer lappy.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Sounds like one or more pieces of your wireless setup is operating at 802.11b speeds, instead of .11g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

Thank's for the reply.

My rourter is set on b/g at the moment, should it be just g. Also, I think is loss cause I am on wireless anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

that may very well be the case, if you want to really check that, then hook up the computer directly via ethernet and try the speed test again, also check the modem's sync speed

JNive,

Ya, by ethernet its up to 5MB plus, so it's a wirelss thing. Shame about all that loss though, when you consider how precious it is.

PS:

Will this help?

Connection Speed 7069 kbps 601 kbps
    Line Attenuation 47.0 db 19.2 db
    Noise Margin 16.6 db 17.0 db

those are fine, try lowering the level of enrcyption onthe wireless your router or card might not be very effective at higher levels. Also, set the router and your wireless cards to G only, and force them to 54mbps ( provided your hardware is wireless-g of course ) check the signal quality of the wireless link too if possible, first run the test with the computer next to the router and then in its normal possition and see if there is a speed difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭crol

i guesss there are lots of possible reason for this.

however, one idea might be to change the wifi channel number you are using in case interference from other wifi devices is your problem.

colm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

even 54G WiFi really runs at about 18Mbps max for one user. Add more path loss or more users and you are easily below the 5Mbps DSL.

Also I find the home routers builtin to ADSL/WiFi boxes are slow. If you want top speed put ADSL in Bridge to a Clarke Connect Router (linux) and use 54G wifi for WiFi only. You need two network cards on the Linux server.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

moved to wireless

Thanks JNive again.

Heres what I've done:

Lowered encryption to 64 bits
    My signal strenght is about half, and it about 2/3 sitting next to my router.
    My speed is 54mbps
    and I set my router to g
    I did a firmware upgrade today for the router.
    By ethernet, I get 6.05Mbps which is brilliant.

Having done all this I got a slight improvement of 4.30Mbps.

Thanks anyway for all the help and to the other posters as well

My signal strenght is about half, and it about 2/3 sitting next to my router.

That is unusual, if you are next to your router it should be full strenght, check its power output settings and your wifi card and set them both to maximum or 100 % if you can.

Also changing the wifi channel can often improve things since there may be interference from other wifi devices or external electrical interference.

My Netgear WGR614V router gives about 25mbps throughput to a single user. my Structured Cabling setup between my Desktops results in 92mbps throughput on a 100mbps link from one Desktop to the other downstairs. Not bad :-).

But indeed at least you know the issue is the wireless connection as opposed to your DSL :-)

• Advertisement

Thanks again JN,

I changed the channel. I will look for the power output and the wifi output. And yes, at least it's not Smart.

Advertisement