Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One account, two locations

Options
  • 04-04-2007 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭

I'm moving house at the moment. I have a UTV Clicksilver account at the old address which I am still using for work while living at the new house. I am also waiting for a different Clicksilver account to be set up at the new address. From time to time I set up an old ADSL modem at the the new address to see if there was any progress and last night I noticed the line seemed to be ADSL enabled.

So I put in my old account details (I have not received the new username and password yet) and found it worked. I imagine they would only allow one connection to an account at any one time but was suprised it was not tied to one location.

I couldn't find much information on the subject but is it possible to log in to an ADSL account from any ADSL enabled telephone line, or is it just because it's the same provider, and the same telephone exchange?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

sesswhat wrote:
    I'm moving house at the moment. I have a UTV Clicksilver account at the old address which I am still using for work while living at the new house. I am also waiting for a different Clicksilver account to be set up at the new address. From time to time I set up an old ADSL modem at the the new address to see if there was any progress and last night I noticed the line seemed to be ADSL enabled.

So I put in my old account details (I have not received the new username and password yet) and found it worked. I imagine they would only allow one connection to an account at any one time but was suprised it was not tied to one location.

I couldn't find much information on the subject but is it possible to log in to an ADSL account from any ADSL enabled telephone line, or is it just because it's the same provider, and the same telephone exchange?

AFAIK its the fact that you have a modem with a legitimate sign in and password and you are connected the same isp on both lines.

For example Eircom uses the same sign in and password for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

More than likely Dub45. I might try it on a friend's BT connection just to see what happens. Of course it wouldn't be a great advantage in most cases anyway but it saves me having to move to the old address to work while the new login details arrive.

I suppose people could have an office account that they might like to try in the evening from their home connection if it was the same provider (as long as no-one else from their work was doing the same).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

sesswhat wrote:
    More than likely Dub45. I might try it on a friend's BT connection just to see what happens. Of course it wouldn't be a great advantage in most cases anyway but it saves me having to move to the old address to work while the new login details arrive.

I suppose people could have an office account that they might like to try in the evening from their home connection if it was the same provider (as long as no-one else from their work was doing the same).

From an isp point of view they would be getting paid for the lines concerned so it is irrelevant to them who uses it - the only concern for the 'owner' of the line would be the use it would be putting to or the using up of the monthly allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Maybe UTV work differently from Eircom. You say everyone uses the same login details on an Eircom line. In this case they must charge your account based on the particular line.

UTV gives everyone a unique username/password and broadband account number. In this case I would assume the charges and usage would be applied to the account and not the line being used. If this was true, you might be able to 'borrow' a bit of download usage from your work account.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MickyJoe

Eircom identify you as one of their clients by using the phone number that your CPE connects with - instead of an individual username/pasword.

I know that Netsource/Magnet Business will only let you log on in one place. If you try and log on when you are already logged on then you will get a failure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement