Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Taxi thread again

• 04-04-2007 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭

can somebody officially tell me whether 858585's no 2 euro callout charge is just a loose rule they have or is it as the ads say it is, reason i ask is again a taxi driver charged me the 2 euro callout charge coming home from work the other evening and its beginning to piss me off big time, twice in the last 3 months ive been charged that

I reported the first guy to them and heard nothing back so didnt bother my arse this time, id take it further this time if i knew that for sure it was a rule rather then something that can be interpreted

thx

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

According to the Commission for Taxi Regulation:

"When a taxi is booked by telephone, email, fax, text, (or any method other than by hailing in the street or engaging at a taxi rank), taxi drivers will be permitted to charge a maximum of €2.00 for such journeys"

http://www.taxireg.ie/index.jsp?1nID=93&2nID=94&pID=103&nID=137#4%20extras

This is standard practice, I suppose in some parts of the country, the driver may decide not to charge it though. He is however fully entitled to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

yes i know all that but 858585 took the decision to drop the 2 euro callout charge last year, whether a taxi driver is fully entitled to charge it or not, when the taxi firm he works for decides to drop that charge then he is under the auspices of the taxi office he works for

Cant have one set of rules for one set of taxi drivers who dont charge and another set of rules for another working for the same company TBH, either they do or they dont, no grey

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

shinzon wrote:
    yes i know all that but 858585 took the decision to drop the 2 euro callout charge last year, whether a taxi driver is fully entitled to charge it or not, when the taxi firm he works for decides to drop that charge then he is under the auspices of the taxi office he works for

Cant have one set of rules for one set of taxi drivers who dont charge and another set of rules for another working for the same company TBH, either they do or they dont, no grey

Shin

I would tend to agree with you.. If, they are advertising that they don't charge the Two Euro to gain competitive advantage over other firms and then do in fact charge you.. this is misleading advertising and are in breach of the advertising rules and regulations... a letter/complaint to the office of the Director for consumer affairs could be in order.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bards wrote:
    I would tend to agree with you.. If, they are advertising that they don't charge the Two Euro to gain competitive advantage over other firms and then do in fact charge you.. this is misleading advertising and are in breach of the advertising rules and regulations... a letter/complaint to the office of the Director for consumer affairs could be in order.

sounds like a plan, first off I'd sent a letter to 858585 to get them to confirm in writing that they've dropped the charge, then if it comes into dispute and you get charged you have them and can take it further :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Right here' s what is happing The owner of 858585 placed them ads and even made a ad with fixed fees (the regulator give him a rap on the knuckles for the fixed fees part ) without consulting the drivers. The owner only has three or four cars where he can enforce the no call out charge. The regulator was informed about the ads, but since 99% of the cars working for 858585 are self employed and only rent the office equipment its is down to driver's discretion where he or she charges this call out fee.

• Advertisement

so out of 320 taxis on the road with 858585 99% of those can do what they want when they want, and he can only tell 3 to 4 taxis not to charge the callout charge

Somethings definitely wrong there somewhere and needs to be rectified pronto

shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Are Hackney's also allowed to charge this fee? If they aren't then it may be worthwhile specifying that you want a hackney instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Can someone tell me what's the difference between a hackney and a taxi over here? I was used to black cabs and mini-cabs when I lived in London but don't know the set up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I could be wrong but I don't think you can flag a hackney down on the street, you have to call them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

Hackneys to not have the taxi plate on the roof of the car.They are not allowed to stop on the street to pick up fares or use the ranks.In other words if you try and flag one down it would be illegal for him to pick you up.

You have to phone their office to call them to your location or go to the office yourself.

• Advertisement

Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I spoke with a Taxi Driver of Rapid Caps not to long ago about the introduction of all these charges. He informed me that the €2 call out charge is decided by each driver individually, and is a "loose" rule. When will it be applied? He claims that most drivers will use it on people going to and from a short distance. Longer journeys will not have this charge applied, most likely.

Short Journey: City Square (by Burger King) up to the Garda Station. Apparently, a lot of people do this with their shopping as they dont want to walk the hill.

Long Journey: From the WIT College on the Cork Road to Superquinn OR to Musgraves Cash and Carry.

It really is up to the driver and the new taxi regulations support this (as stated earlier). He also recommended that each person request a receipt at the end of the journey.

Hope this clears up any confusion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Short Journey: City Square (by Burger King) up to the Garda Station. Apparently, a lot of people do this with their shopping as they dont want to walk the hill.
    That's pure laziness and they deserve to be hit with a extra charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Bond-007 wrote:

That's not a fair comment. What about the elderly?

Bond-007 wrote:

What about those with a lot of shopping especially food that weighs a lot

Sully wrote:
    I spoke with a Taxi Driver of Rapid Caps not to long ago about the introduction of all these charges. He informed me that the €2 call out charge is decided by each driver individually, and is a "loose" rule. When will it be applied? He claims that most drivers will use it on people going to and from a short distance. Longer journeys will not have this charge applied, most likely.

Long Journey: From the WIT College on the Cork Road to Superquinn OR to Musgraves Cash and Carry.

It really is up to the driver and the new taxi regulations support this (as stated earlier). He also recommended that each person request a receipt at the end of the journey.

Hope this clears up any confusion!

thats funny because ive talked to 2 taxi drivers since i was charged the 2 euro call out charge, and both have said that rapid cabs had a meeting with all the taxi drivers under there rentship, and all of them bar a small minority agreed to drop the call out charge, none of this loose rule thing, all agreed to drop it

Tbh its only a loose rule if you intend to be greedy and charge what you like, which is completely wrong, so it depnds who your talking to, i fully intend to pursue this after the easter weekend and get some kind of definitive answer from rapid cabs, because this duality of charges cannot be allowed to continue

Shin

Mossy Monk wrote:
    That's not a fair comment. What about the elderly?
    Of course the elderly are not lazy. I'll take that much back.
    But for anyone else that uses a taxi to transport themselves a quater a mile at most just to avoid a hill is just being wasteful. If you are going to take a taxi that far then why not take it all the way home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

shinzon wrote:
    thats funny because ive talked to 2 taxi drivers since i was charged the 2 euro call out charge, and both have said that rapid cabs had a meeting with all the taxi drivers under there employ, and all of them bar a small minority agreed to drop the call out charge, none of this loose rule thing, all agreed to drop it

Tbh its only a loose rule if you intend to be greedy and charge what you like, which is completely wrong, so it depnds who your talking to, i fully intend to pursue this after the easter weekend and get some kind of definitive answer from rapid cabs, because this duality of charges cannot be allowed to continue

Shin
    Rapid does not employ the drivers. 99% are self employed or employed by the owner of the car. Rapid employs the office staff and the couple of drivers of the cars he owns, which by the way are three Hackneys and only one Taxi so he was dropping a charge he could not have charged on 75% of his own cars anyway. As for that meeting, the meeting was held after they advertise the no call out charge.

ROCKMAN wrote:
    Rapid does not employ the drivers.

Semantics but changed in my original post

Shin

just got charged again the calllout charge, so 4 times in 3 months now, 13 euro coming to work is a complete and utter disgrace

so tomorrow letter goes off, sick and tired of being ripped off

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

shinzon wrote:
    just got charged again the calllout charge, so 4 times in 3 months now, 13 euro coming to work is a complete and utter disgrace

Shin

There is a booking fee of €2.00 for pre-booked journeys ,this charged at the driver’s discretion.Rapid does not employ the drivers. 99% are self employed or employed by the owner of the car.

I dont see what your problem is with this . FFS..

Take it to the regulator :http://www.taxiregulator.ie/index.jsp?1nID=93&2nID=94&pID=101&nID=133

If you are charged what is on the meter you are NOT being ripped off .

The Drivers did not decide the fare structure , thats up to the Commission for Taxi Regulation .

The drivers have control over what extras are on the meter.

shinzon wrote:

Shin
    As this is on the face of it looks like a case of false advertising, you should complain to the ASAI. I don't think the taxi regulator will help as the charge is sanctioned by them.

Fare structure here :http://www.taxiregulator.ie/index.jsp?1nID=93&2nID=94&3nID=94&4nID=103&pID=103&nID=137.

It's simple to understand . There should be no mistakes !

makes me laugh, there is no way the fare structure is well fair, my problem is this, it is blatant false advertising from a company to advertise that they do not charge the callout charge, when they have no apparent right to do so, if they cannot control there drivers and what they charge and not charge then they should never have advertised it in the first place

And tbh 13 euro is in no way shape or form fair on the customer to have to pay, and if you were charged this on a regular basis then you wouldnt be coming on here qouting rules and regulation either sharkman. And as for not having any control over whats put on the metre thats complete bollocks yes they do, simply dont push the extras button

Shin

You have the fares in front of you , does anyone force you to get a taxi ..NO , its your choice . Once the appropriate extra's and nothing else is charged , well where is the problem ..

The Irish public asked asked for the regulator to be established and had their say . Now its here and still giving out .

The driver is entitled to charge you pick up fees , your gripe is not with him , but with the company advertising something they can not control.

Oh , and how is the fare structure not fare ????

sharkman wrote:
    You have the fares in front of you , does anyone force you to get a taxi ..NO , its your choice . Once the appropriate extra's and nothing else is charged , well where is the problem ..

The Irish public asked asked for the regulator to be established and had their say . Now its here and still giving out .

The driver is entitled to charge you pick up fees , your gripe is not with him , but with the company advertising something they can not control.

Oh , and how is the fare structure not fare ????

Sigh nvm

:rolleyes:

shin

shinzon wrote:
    Sigh nvm

:rolleyes:

shin

How ??

• Advertisement

sharkman wrote:
    How ??

Dont know what bee has gotten into your bonnet sharkman but im not rising to it, youve quoted the rules and regulations as have 3 other people on this thread, seems a lot of posters are overly fond of quoting them

I happen to think there is a case to be made to the asai, because of false advertising by a company who clearly had no right or control over there drivers to say yeah were dropping the callout charge, it is the route ill be going down from tomorrow

This duality of charges will stop one way or another tbh

Shin

Advertisement