Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Taxi thread again

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The fares that are quoted are "Maximum fares". The taxi drivers don't HAVE to charge them. They can charge less if they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Would a solution be to use another taxi firm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

The fares that are quoted are "Maximum fares". The taxi drivers don't HAVE to charge them. They can charge less if they want.

Exactly!!!

I never understood why the TAXI Drivers were so upset by the taxi regulator stating they will have no option but to increase fares and less people will use taxis

The drivers could have very easily used the old fare structure, but display the maximum fare structure.

I think it is a cartel in my honest opinion

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sharkman wrote:
    You have the fares in front of you , does anyone force you to get a taxi ..NO , its your choice . Once the appropriate extra's and nothing else is charged , well where is the problem ..

The Irish public asked asked for the regulator to be established and had their say . Now its here and still giving out .

The driver is entitled to charge you pick up fees , your gripe is not with him , but with the company advertising something they can not control.

Oh , and how is the fare structure not fare ????

pick-up fee's are grand and fine in Dublin were you can flag a taxi down, its extrmely hard to do that in pl;aces like Kilkenny or Waterford because they just sit in the middle of town all the time.

shinzon has a fair point as its rare to see alot of taxi's out where he lives most opf the day and as such he wouldn't be able to flag one down in order to avoid the charge.

With regards to the call-out fee, I was in ardkeen awhile back for a op and I had to get a taxi home.

While number of taxi's were outside the main door nobody was in them so my girlfriend phoned to get one, we got a callback and it turned out it was one of the taxi's alreadty outside the main door.....handy enough you might think.

But the fecker started the meter before I even got in the car and it took me a good two to three min to make my way to the car as I could barely walk at the time.

You think this is a fair callout charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

With regards to the call-out fee, I was in ardkeen awhile back for a op and I had to get a taxi home.

While number of taxi's were outside the main door nobody was in them so my girlfriend phoned to get one, we got a callback and it turned out it was one of the taxi's alreadty outside the main door.....handy enough you might think.

But the fecker started the meter before I even got in the car and it took me a good two to three min to make my way to the car as I could barely walk at the time.

You think this is a fair callout charge?[/QUOTE]
    Well you booked the Taxi so yes !! it is fair to be charged the booking fee.... The booking or call out fee is set at €2 max. This is whether the driver has to travel five yards or five miles.. Do you think it's fair that a driver is only allowed charge €2 if he has to travel five miles to pick you up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Well you booked the Taxi so yes !! it is fair to be charged the booking fee.... The booking or call out fee is set at €2 max. This is whether the driver has to travel five yards or five miles.. Do you think it's fair that a driver is only allowed charge €2 if he has to travel five miles to pick you up.

I love this country i really do, the above quote is typical of ireland today, content to let people rip them off left right and centre just cause theres rules and regulations to cover it, especially as self same company bleats on and on about the no callout charge, i think its disgraceful state of affairs and why i started this thread in the first place

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I think €2 is very reasonable tbh. The driver may have to come from the other side of town to collect you, find your house etc. that all takes time.
    In fairness, if you order a take-a-way there will be a delivery charge to bring it to your door.

With regards the false advertising, that needs to be taken up with the cab office owner, not the drivers!

The €2 also goes to pay the wages of the base staff who take your call. It's expensive running a taxi company and I know for a fact drivers have to pay a base fee of €165 pw in Waterford. If drivers refused to pay this fee, there would be no pick up service available and then you would be complaining about that.
    You are not being ripped off, you are being charged the rate set in law by the regulater. He decided on these rates after much research and consultation.
    The only way you are going to resolve this is by speaking to the manager of the Taxi company in question. If you are not happy with their response you can always take your custom elsewhere.!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

But whats the point in the taxi drivers being out parking at the hospital if their not going to be in the cars,

its equal to them being at the taxi ranks in town but not sitting in the cars....so the only way you can get one is to call so they know to go back to their cars and then you end up getting charged 2e

yeah thats complete bollox

Cabaal wrote:
    But whats the point in the taxi drivers being out parking at the hospital if their not going to be in the cars,

its equal to them being at the taxi ranks in town but not sitting in the cars....so the only way you can get one is to call so they know to go back to their cars and then you end up getting charged 2e

yeah thats complete bollox

Drivers park in or near the hospital anticipating a call.This is to benefit you as they can respond faster to your call. If they are not parked on an official rank there is no need to be in their cars. They could be stretching their legs, playing cards ,going to the toilet or having a teabreak.
    Look, this is not rocket science !! you call a taxi , you pay a €2 booking/call out fee. If you don't want to pay it, wait till a taxi is passing or dropping someone off. Its "complete bollox" that you expect to use a booking service and not pay for it..

• Advertisement

Its "complete bollox" that you expect to use a booking service and not pay for it..

Hmm especially as said taxi service advertises that it doesnt charge the callout charge

yeah now thats bollocks

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Do all the other taxi firms in Waterford charge the callout fee?

not really sure tbh, only reason i use rapid is because they have 320 taxis on the road and your virtually guranteed a taxi tbh

Wanty

Drivers park in or near the hospital anticipating a call.This is to benefit you as they can respond faster to your call. If they are not parked on an official rank there is no need to be in their cars. They could be stretching their legs, playing cards ,going to the toilet or having a teabreak.
    Look, this is not rocket science !! you call a taxi , you pay a €2 booking/call out fee. If you don't want to pay it, wait till a taxi is passing or dropping someone off. Its "complete bollox" that you expect to use a booking service and not pay for it..

to be honest I'd rather they not take up set down bays that are meant for patient drop-offs, if they are going to screw people over with a e call-out charge despite the fact their only 10 feet away from the door then perhaps they should feck off to a official taxi rank as I'd imagine people would rather wait the 0-5min it'll take a taxi to show up

As for hailing a taxi especially out in ardkeen/powercourts etc, they rarely stop

At the end of the day I know people that are taxi drivers and their far from poor, these people use this "call-out charge" as an excuse to screw over customers and to squeeze even more money out of people. I'm just thankful I don't use taxi's that much as I have free transport to get me around town thats often faster at peak times. :)

Cabaal wrote:
    to be honest I'd rather they not take up set down bays that are meant for patient drop-offs, if they are going to screw people over with a e call-out charge despite the fact their only 10 feet away from the door then perhaps they should feck off to a official taxi rank as I'd imagine people would rather wait the 0-5min it'll take a taxi to show up

As for hailing a taxi especially out in ardkeen/powercourts etc, they rarely stop

At the end of the day I know people that are taxi drivers and their far from poor, these people use this "call-out charge" as an excuse to screw over customers and to squeeze even more money out of people. I'm just thankful I don't use taxi's that much as I have free transport to get me around town thats often faster at peak times. :)

Personally I find your use of the word "screw" offensive as it has negative connotations. I have already explained that the charge was put in place by the regulater after exhaustive studies and consultation. It is the law !!
    Drivers charge €2 pick up in order to recoup some of the €165 per week they have to pay to the despatch center. You use the despatch center you pay the fee,[€2 ffs]
    You may have free transport but there are many who don't,who depend on taxis. You are giving the impression that these people are being "screwed" by drivers. This is not the case. Please don't badmouth drivers who are providing a good service and charging prices sanctioned by the Govt.

Advertisement