Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fatal RTC

Options
  • 04-04-2007 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭

just heard that another near death accident has accuered on one of the most dangerous crossroads in the country at larkins cross in wexford where if anyone remembers, its not long since three people died in a road traffic collision,

what should be done to such crossroads to make them safer and stop the mindless killing that is happening on these and many other roads around but espically these crossroads, i understand that teh person killed was not in the wrong but it was a problem of the road itself

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Install automatic traffic ligths?

Traffic lights that only get to work when there is actual traffic there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

peasant wrote:
    Install automatic traffic ligths?

Traffic lights that only get to work when there is actual traffic there

yeh, but it is the n25 which is a very busy road, they have try'd to change it but cant seem to at all, and its nearly always busy except during the night,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Fly over's are probably OTT but might work. Staggering the junction is also something that might work, some roads just have too much traffic for their design now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

timmywex wrote:
    yeh, but it is the n25 which is a very busy road, they have try'd to change it but cant seem to at all, and its nearly always busy except during the night,

How busy is the road crossing it? (don't know that particular junction)

If it's a minor road, what you could do is install traffic lights that are red on the minor road all the time and green on the main road. Only when traffic sits at the red light will the light on the main road be switched to red, allowing the other traffic to cross...The traffic light on the main road would have to be signposted well in advance and the speed limited to 80 or 60 kmh in order to enable people to stop in time once it is actually red.

4 traffic lights, several signposts, induction loop and computer programme, speed camera ...still cheaper and probably better for traffic flow than a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

irish1 wrote:
    Fly over's are probably OTT but might work. Staggering the junction is also something that might work, some roads just have too much traffic for their design now.

Staggering the junction is a good idea and would be the most realsitic option I think. Has worked at a couple of previously treacherous spots near my family home in Galway county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I am a frequent user but not local to the N11 and N25. More than likely I will be on it again this holiday weekend.
    Where abouts is this blackspot exactly?

I'm loosing count at the amount of different roadside memorials I see on this 160KM spin to the south :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I came upon this accident this morning and it appeared to me that the Transit van involved emerged from one of the side roads (LHS approaching Wexford) and its front right corner was struck by a truck going towards Wexford. Truck jack-knifed and van, from where I was, appeared to have been pushed along the road. That said, I could only see so much from the next junction through which I was diverted so I could have read the mechanics of it incorrectly.

What needs to be done is:
    • 60km/h speed limit with speed camera
    • Lighting
    • Traffic islands in the centre of the road to prevent overtaking
    • OR
    • A big roundabout

The junction has definitely become more dangerous since they took away the filter lanes, a practice which I've not seen in any other county in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Interestingly local radio are reporting that this accident wasn't actually fatal, but that's only by the grace of God. Problem still exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

They should install another hidden fixed speed camera on the M50, that will solve it.

P.S. I hope dilbert is correct and that there was actually no fatality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

perhaps that there should be no right turns. My friend was on the N11 on the Kilmacanogue junction (before the dual carriageway) wicklow bound and was in the turning right lane (ie going towards Glendalough) she was stationery as there was oncoming traffic, however, this tourist from a different country was admiring the sugarloaf and did not reaslise what lane he was in and shunted her from behind she was then forced onto oncoming traffic luckily she was not again hit as was alive to tell the tale but that was always a dangerous junction to start of with now the danger is from the petrol station with cars just going straight out without looking and stopping onto the carriageway they (NRA or relevant authority) seem not to get it right!!

There are loads of black spots on the N11 and why does a fatality have to occur to make either the NRA or relevant authority to make safer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The minor roads on both sides need an exit/merging lane for traffic turning left, the N25 needs exit lanes for traffic turning left, there is ghost island lane for traffic turning right off the N25 heading east (lots of traffic makes that turn due to a petrol station/shop/track stop at the junction). The whole junction zone needs widening and a substantial earthern island building in the middle.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I know the junction well its well lit wide but has a large volume of traffic. the problem seems to be traffic pulling onto the N25 from the service station. perhaps if there was a lane that allowed turning traffic to gather some seed and allow them to merge rather than pulling into the 100km national route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

yes, thank god that it turned out not to be fatal but i think the person is critical and in hospital with an uncertain future which is nearly as bad, the pronlem remains about the junction, countless lives have been lost and many more have been destroyed by this crossroad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

The Co Council made that junction way more dangerous since they REMOVED the lane for traffic to turn left into the service station/Taghmon road coming from Wexford.

Though the main danger with the junction imho is traffic coming from the service station road, and turning right towards Wexford on the N25. There is rarely any problems for traffic turning left onto the N25, other than maybe being stuck behind cars waiting to turn right. I've seen far busier junctions elsewhere that don't need traffic lights or a roundabout.

If anywhere needs a roundabout or traffic lights, it's the N30/N25 junction. Visibility is far worse at this junction and the traffic volume is far higher leaving and joining the N25. I heard this is going ahead, as well as the possibility of a 60K speed limit half way to Ballinaboola :eek:, which seems way overkill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

N25/N30 does'nt have a junction does it? Or do you mean the junction to Irishtown at the top of the N25 hill in New Ross?

Mike.

Advertisement