Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

interesting football factoid

• 04-04-2007 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

i have just read here: fulham website that you cannot be offside from a throw in.

now that i did not know.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Emmmm...or corners or goal kicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

corners goes without saying, coz you cant be ahead of the ball from a corner without being off the pitch

not sure about goal kicks tho, any source for that? id have thought you could be offside from goal kicks for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you can be offside for goal kicks.

corners are fairly obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

you can def be offside from goal kicks I've seen them given.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭dodgey69

you cannot be offside from a goal kick off the ground, or a throw in or a corner.

here's one for ye, what is the outcome if the goalkeeper kicks the ball directly into his own net from a goal kick(off the ground)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

erm... his team concede a goal and kick the $hit out of him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Can you be off side from a pass back? I always though you couldn't be but i don't know where i picked it up from.

jArgHA wrote:
    erm... his team concede a goal and kick the $hit out of him?

good answer but no.

you cant be offside from a pass back

You can NOT be offisde from a goal kick. A goal is when the ball has gone wide and is taken from inside the 6 yard box.

You can be offside from a kick out.

Basically if the ball has left the playing area, you can not be offside when it re-enters plays. Corners, throw ins and goal kicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Do you mean a defender passing it back to the goalie or from a free as a result of a back pass?

If the a defender passes the ball back to the goalkeeper and you are in an offside position and get the ball from the pass you're not offside. You're only offside if your team plays the ball to you.

As for kicking the ball in from a goal kick, I'd say it's a goal because the ball left the 18 yard box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

You can't be offside in your own half or if you're behind the ball so unless it's one fecking weird back-pass that's actually forward to the keeper who's in front of all the opposing defenders in the opposing half (sounds like a through ball to me) you're alright.

dodgey69 wrote:
    you cannot be offside from a goal kick off the ground, or a throw in or a corner.

here's one for ye, what is the outcome if the goalkeeper kicks the ball directly into his own net from a goal kick(off the ground)?

Corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

dodgey69 wrote:

corner kick

bucks73 wrote:
    Corner.

correct.

Makaveli wrote:
    As for kicking the ball in from a goal kick, I'd say it's a goal because the ball left the 18 yard box.

think ur confusing what i asked with a proper kick up the field. i asked into his own net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

No, just got it wrong.

What happens if a throw goes directly into the goal without anybody touching the ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Makaveli wrote:
    No, just got it wrong.

What happens if a throw goes directly into the goal without anybody touching the ball?
    if it happens to Villa its given as a goal. It should be a goal kick though, i think - i know it should not be a goal anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Makaveli wrote:
    No, just got it wrong.

I was incorrect.

Law 15 States that

A goal cannot be scored directly from a throw-in.

An indirect free kick that ends up in the opposition's net without having been touched by any other player than the taker results in a goal kick.

An indirect free kick that ends up in the taker's net without having been touched by any other player than the taker results in a corner kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

goal kick? no goal anyway, Re; Ireland v Czech republic friendly in lansdown a few years ago. think was a gary doherty throw.

Tauren wrote:
    if it happens to Villa its given as a goal. It should be a goal kick though, i think - i know it should not be a goal anyway.
    That ball touched the underneath of Enckleman's boot.

The Laws of The Game

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/RulesAndRegulations/FIFALawsOfTheGame/

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:

The Laws of The Game

I disagree, i don't think that it did. the ref simply got it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

So has this question been answered then? Can you be offside from a throw in taken by your own player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

No, you can't. You learn that when you start playing ball at seven. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Tauren wrote:
    I disagree, i don't think that it did. the ref simply got it wrong.

It clearly hit his foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

i have just read here: fulham website that you cannot be offside from a throw in.

now that i did not know.
    in fairness, anyone who's played football would know that.

i disagree, it is certainly not clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

link to the Villa goal?

Very hard to call, Id give it purely for Enkelmans reaction.

• Advertisement

But Enckelman mightn't read Boards.ie, and might not know that if it doesn't touch him it's not a goal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Aldini98

now that i did not know.

Ever ACTUALLY play football ? :rolleyes:

I have to say it's one rule I never knew or even noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Seriously, how could any football fan not know you can't be offside from a throw -in:confused:
    It happens in every single game when a full back throws it long to a striker down the channels, who in open play would be yards offside.
    Next time Utd are playing with Neville and Rooney in the side watch how often Neville throws to Rooney who usually darts towards the corner flag area totally unmarked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I'm amazed by people not knowing you cant be offside from a throw in or corner! Maybe if this was the rugby forum or something, I'd expect people not to know the basic rules of football.

I guess some of you cant slag your missus for not knowing the offside rule now eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

when i used to play school boys soccer we had this defender who could hurl the ball really far from a throw in (pretty impressive for a under 11 player).
    we also had this really fast striker who would stand miles offside. the opposition had no idea the defender could throw that far, we got loads of easy goals from a long throw over the defence.

• Advertisement

Draupnir wrote:
    I'm amazed by people not knowing you cant be offside from a throw in or corner!
    A corner's pretty obvious. You can't be offside if you're behind the ball, simple as that. They actually have a seperate rule for a throw in though. New one on me. I guess it'll be pretty obvious now watching football tonight but it's never something I noticed. The only way of noticing it is questioning why a team isn't play offside for a throw in. I don't go that deep into analysis. :)

As others have said it's something you'd know if you played football but jaysus I'm a brutal player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

now that i did not know.

you've obviously never played the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

seansouth wrote:

The Laws of The Game

I could never understand how the ref could have been 100% that there was contact.
    bohsman wrote:
    Very hard to call, Id give it purely for Enkelmans reaction.

TBH I would disregard his reaction. In that situation, your not going to wait a while to leaf through your rule book or even waste a second thinking bout it, you see the ball going towards your goal, you chase it. Instinct.

ziggy67 wrote:
    Can't believe the amount of people that didn't know the throw-in rule, mad!

BTW there is no such thing as a "free" in soccer, it is a GAA term.
    me and WWM seem to be the only people.:D

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:

TBH I would disregard his reaction. In that situation, your not going to wait a while to leaf through your rule book or even waste a second thinking bout it, you see the ball going towards your goal, you chase it. Instinct.

Yes, but its the putting his head in his hands after instead of running over to the ref, its a fairly well known rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Ooh ziggy's delighted cos he got one over on me. :D

tbh it's not a very important rule to know as a football viewer. It's also not a rule you'll learn for yourself by watching the game unless you play it or read the rules. As I said, the defender is obviously not going to let the attacker run (far) offside anyway as he should be tightly marked. There could be a throw in 10 yards out and you could question why the opposing team don't stand 10 yards out aswell. You're hardly going to learn that you can't be offside from a throw in because of that.

I'd love to know how all these rolleye people actually learnt the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

dodgey69 wrote:

isn't there footage somewhere of a goalie mistakenly throwing the ball into his own net?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

That's different to a goal kick as the ball in play already if he has it in his hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I am a little surprised that some people didnt know the throw-in offside rule, but people, even experts, do have to learn new things (or in this case old things) every day. I wont point any fingers. Also not everyone will admit to things that they dont know.

Anyway, I myself didnt know about the corner decision for when a goal-kick goes into the goalies own goal. I've never seen it happen and hadnt really thought about such a scenario. Has it ever happened? On youtube? I take its a corner because the goal-kick is classified as an indirect kick. And that would also be the case if the ball hit the Referee or indeed the corner flag and went in. These are really trivia situations though.

That leads onto a more probable scenario when a goal-kick goes directly into the opponents goal. That is officially a wide if the goal-kick is classified as an indirect free kick, but if so, do Ref's ever get that decision wrong and award a goal?

And aren't Ref's supposed to keep one arm aloft whilst the ball is in 'indirect' mode such as when a goal-kick is taken, and the arm kept aloft until the ball is played by a player? I cant recall many/any of them doing that in matches for goal-kicks these days or have they all just got lazy?

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

How did people not know that rule? Seriously? Must email Andy Gray and ask him to point it out sometime, people all over Ireland will be in a state of shock and confusion!

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'd love to know how all these rolleye people actually learnt the rule.

I don't think I did rolleyes, but I've been a qualified ref for about eleven years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Just knew it lreally learned it from paying as a wee kid.

What happens if anyplayer hits the ball and it hits the ref and goes in ?

;)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

KdjaCL wrote:
    Just knew it lreally learned it from paying as a wee kid.

What happens if anyplayer hits the ball and it hits the ref and goes in ?

;)

kdjac

ref is a "fixture" of the game (could probably do with a better word for it), so it counts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement