Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

interesting football factoid

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

redspider wrote:
    And aren't Ref's supposed to keep one arm aloft whilst the ball is in 'indirect' mode such as when a goal-kick is taken, and the arm kept aloft until the ball is played by a player? I cant recall many/any of them doing that in matches for goal-kicks these days or have they all just got lazy?

Redspider

yeah they hold their hand in th air still, at least i think they do

if he drops his hand early, could you claim its not an indirect free kick:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

redspider wrote:
    And aren't Ref's supposed to keep one arm aloft whilst the ball is in 'indirect' mode such as when a goal-kick is taken, and the arm kept aloft until the ball is played by a player? I cant recall many/any of them doing that in matches for goal-kicks these days or have they all just got lazy?

Redspider

The ball isnt in "indirect" mode. The ball was out of play and is coming back in to play with a goal kick/throw/corner.

The reason a corner is given if a goal kick goes directly into the keepers own goal is because the ball is not back in play until it has gone outside the penalty area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

eirebhoy wrote:
    tbh it's not a very important rule to know as a football viewer. It's also not a rule you'll learn for yourself by watching the game unless you play it or read the rules. As I said, the defender is obviously not going to let the attacker run (far) offside anyway as he should be tightly marked. There could be a throw in 10 yards out and you could question why the opposing team don't stand 10 yards out aswell. You're hardly going to learn that you can't be offside from a throw in because of that.

I agree, its not something you would pick up on watching really, unless you REALLY paid attention and were thinking about offside during a throw in.
    I'd love to know how all these rolleye people actually learnt the rule.

I'd say most of them played for schoolboy teams. Its a bit like the, "you cant touch the ball until it leaves the box from a goal kick rule", first few weeks in training type thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

bucks73 wrote:
    The reason a corner is given if a goal kick goes directly into the keepers own goal is because the ball is not back in play until it has gone outside the penalty area.

But isn't the area behind the goal line outside of the penalty area?

Don't worry, I'll take your word for it, as this situation is more hypothetical than even rare! Has anyone heard of it actually happening? Maybe a goalie going on 'strike' and scoring into his own net on purpose would be the only occasion it might happen.

Here is another situation, perhaps more probable.

A goalie is taking a goal-kick, he stumbles and mis-kicks and the ball travels 10 yards forwards and stops and remains inside the box. What does the Ref decide to do? Can the attacking players play it? Is it a drop ball or an indirtect free kick to the attacking team?

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Draupnir wrote:
    Its a bit like the, "you cant touch the ball until it leaves the box from a goal kick rule", first few weeks in training type thing.

Yes, the basics are well known, but what about the case above ^ where the ball doesnt leave the box? At under-age level the coach will probably say to take it again but that's not the official rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

i have just read here: fulham website that you cannot be offside from a throw in.

now that i did not know.
    Check out Raul's goal in the 2002 CL final against Leverkusen for an example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

redspider wrote:
    Yes, the basics are well known, but what about the case above ^ where the ball doesnt leave the box? At under-age level the coach will probably say to take it again but that's not the official rule.

Well when the keeper kicks the ball across the goal line, since it cant be a goal as the ball isnt back in play until the ball leaves the box, it counts as the by-line rather than the goal line.

Therefore, corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

KdjaCL wrote:
    Just knew it lreally learned it from paying as a wee kid.

What happens if anyplayer hits the ball and it hits the ref and goes in ?

;)

kdjac

Goal, the same if an assistant referee had his/her flag over the touchline and in play and the ball bounces off it, the ball is still considered to be in play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Draupnir wrote:
    I'm amazed by people not knowing you cant be offside from a throw in or corner!
    id be more amazed if someone actually thought you COULD be offside from a corner

how in the name of god would that work lol?

you can only be offside from a forward pass, for a corner to go forward, it goes out of play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Helix wrote:
    id be more amazed if someone actually thought you COULD be offside from a corner

how in the name of god would that work lol?

you can only be offside from a forward pass, for a corner to go forward, it goes out of play

Technically you could be offside from a corner as the ball can placed one yard from the endline for a corner and therefore the ball could be played forward.

redspider wrote:
    A goalie is taking a goal-kick, he stumbles and mis-kicks and the ball travels 10 yards forwards and stops and remains inside the box. What does the Ref decide to do? Can the attacking players play it? Is it a drop ball or an indirtect free kick to the attacking team?

redspider

Goal kick is retaken. A goal kick must leave the penalty area to be in play. Doesnt matter who touches it next, if the ball does not leave the area the goal kick must be retaken.

Zebra3 wrote:
    Technically you could be offside from a corner as the ball can placed one yard from the endline for a corner and therefore the ball could be played forward.

No you cant. No matter where the ball and players are positioned.

You can not be offside from a throw-in, goal-kick or corner. Have a look here on page 18.
    http://www.fifa.com/documents/fifa/laws/LOTG2006_e.pdf

These are basic laws of the game which anyone who plays/played would know from an early age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I'm well aware of the rule, that's why I simply said "you could" be offside. If FIFA scrapped the rule (which isn't that old), you could be technically offside.

Helix made the point for a corner to go forward the ball must go out of play. I pointed out that wasn't always the case.

Zebra3 wrote:
    I'm well aware of the rule, that's why I simply said "you could" be offside. If FIFA scrapped the rule (which isn't that old), you could be technically offside.

Helix made the point for a corner to go forward the ball must go out of play. I pointed out that wasn't always the case.

:confused:

But you cant be offside. You never could be and most likely never will be.

That law is around since I can remember. I would even guess its always been around. Seems logical that when original rules were drawn up the powers that be decreed that there is no offside for goal kicks, corners or throw ins. I doubt very much that this will ever change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

~Rebel~ wrote:
    goal kick? no goal anyway, Re; Ireland v Czech republic friendly in lansdown a few years ago. think was a gary doherty throw.

I think it was Rory Delap. That guy has some throw in. He definitely scored one at Lansdowne and a kick out was given.

Advertisement