Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TomTom Go 910 - Confusion

• 04-04-2007 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,791 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Anyone own one of these units. Want to buy one as it has Europe and Us maps. The confusion is TomTom say it does include Irish maps, Komplett maintain they don't.

Anyone care to clear this up. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There are Irish maps but they are Teleatlas on that model and therefore not as good with the detail as any GPS device having Navteq maps on board. There was a Teleatlas/Tomtom map update in December 2006. As explained in previous posts, I bought a GO910 in January and was told that I had to pay for the December update (€130 after a “Goodwill” discount) that those TomTom tightwads should have given me for nothing. I’d go for anything other than TomTom as long as it has Navteq maps on it. Had I realised how anti-consumer TomTom was/is, I’d have lashed out on a Garmin. Map updates on these are a lot more reasonable. Had I bought a Garmin, the update would have cost me nothing.
    I don’t think that Komplett would actually know what maps are on board without opening a box and switching the TomTom on. There are no details on the packaging telling you what’s inside. If they’ve got old stock, you’ll be in the same boat as me and be asked to cough up for the update. The pre-December Irish mapping on the GO910 is mediocre to say the least. The R road outside my house wasn’t even on the map. It’s apparently on the new map version but I’ve given up on TomTom and those b****** aren’t getting any more money out of me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

There are lots of threads in this forum already on this subject if you do a search.

For starters:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055071667

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I have one .

It comes with USA , Europe (including Ireland) , Canary Island and Guam .

I have updated the Europe maps to the latest version with full coverage of Ireland .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,791 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Thanks for the replies

Sharkman, how much did it cost to get the updated maps?

Boggles , PM me .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Sharkman,

Thinking of buying the TomTom 910, for holidays etc...

Is it expensive to get the maps updates to the current version, if the one I get does not have the correct version no. Also would you know what version no I would need for a useable Irish Map.

Is the version no of the maps on the outside of the packaging or does the unit need to be switched on to get this info.

Many thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 garyo

sharkman wrote:
    OP , I have a 910 and have used it in Dublin and outside the capital . I'm in Swords , so feel free to contact me via Pm and you can see it working. I have the new Navteq maps on my unit and I believe that the TomTom one europe v2 ships with these maps .It's available from Halfords for €299.

Hi Sharkman, I have this unit also I noticed back in your post on 28-03-2007 above you have new Navteq maps on your unit, I thought this unit just did teleatlas? Where did you update your maps as I find the tomtom website very hard to navigate?

garyo wrote:
    Hi Sharkman, I have this unit also I noticed back in your post on 28-03-2007 above you have new Navteq maps on your unit, I thought this unit just did teleatlas? Where did you update your maps as I find the tomtom website very hard to navigate?

Pm me and I'll discuss it with you .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 garyo

Hi Sharkman, just Pm'd you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ph4668@eircom.n

hi there i'm looking to buy the 910 and it seems to be very confusing about the coverage of ireland..i've seen them on the net and they all say that there is no coverage of ireland..i was in dixons in swords yesterday and the guy in the shop showed me that ireland was covered ,he turned it on and we could see our position on the screen..you can get them from komplett but they don't have ireland on it ..on the tom tom web site you can download the uk and ireland map for 60 euro..has anyone done this and does it work or am i just better off to buy from dixons..their price 520 euro..komplett price 389 plus 12 to ship plus 60 for new map plus 40 for irish charger..theirs comes only with us charger total..501 euro not much saving for all the hasstle..anyone get it cheaper??
    cheers

• Advertisement

You need one with map version 660.1256 from Navteq , these are the best availqable for Ireland at the moment .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ph4668@eircom.n

thanks sharkman i'll be watching ut for that

Advertisement