Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Map drive at system startup (without login)

• 04-04-2007 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

I need to map two drives on a Windows 2003 server that are available to the backup service (Commvault) - this means mapping them without any user logged in.

I've tried using a scheduled task which is set to run at System Startup but, although the pipep output to a text file says it is mapping them, the drives aren't available to any user.
    I also tried HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run but this only maps them when any user logs in. The server is going to be sitting there logged out so this is no use either.

Anyone know of a way to do this in Win2K3?

In case it makes a difference the mapping command is
    NFS LINK X: \\SERVERNAME\var [USERNAME] [PASSWORD]

(Yes this is in Windows - I'm using Hummingbird NFS Maestro to connect to two VMS Alpha servers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Have you thought about mapping the drives as a GPO (if on Active Directory) or if not using a local system policy to map the drives.

You should be able to get either to run from the system account so both drives would be mapped even without anyone being logged in.

I haven't actually done this but I know it should be possible.

If your not a windows person, let me know (PM me) and I'll post detailed explanation on how to do it (This would have to be tomorrow aswell, out of the office today)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Just thought of something else, why dont you create a service account and map the drives using that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I hadn't actually thought of that. I've added the script to map them into the Startup scripts in the Local Policy. Again the logfile says it's mapping them. I log in interactively and it shows the two drives there but as "disconnected drive". If I try to access them I get "Parameter is not correct". I don't think there's any way to run Startup scripts as anybody other than SYSTEM. So back to the drawing board :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Just thought of something else, why dont you create a service account and map the drives using that?

We do use a service account. The problem is that Commvault connects to the media agent server using a new process. Even if you log in as the service account and map the drive it still is not available to the Commvault connection. That's why I need the mapping available to all processes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Use SUBST to mount the drive as a physical disk rather than as a netowrk path and this will mean that the person doent have to be logged in to use it

• Advertisement
Advertisement