Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom to upgrade an additional 300+ exchanges - No timeframe set

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

oleras wrote:
    Press release should read " eircom dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century"

Silly state of affairs really, What i have noticed, along with everyone else with regard to broadband is its either a feast or a famine, you can either point blank not get it and when the exchange is enabled you have the choice between fixed and wireless all of a sudden.

They announced the patrickswell co.limerick one last year to be done this year, anyone any idea what kind of timeframe before its completed ?

Thats often because when a wireless operator enters an area, that area exchange suddenly becomes an exchange thats viable to upgrade :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

delly wrote:
    Irony of ironys, on the day your giving me this info Damien, I came home to find a flyer from a local Counciller titled 'Eircom broadband comes to Grange Rath' and no, he didn't give any credit to IOFFL.

Yea, got that flyer too. At last, proper broadband in Grange Rath. I have been holding off getting DigiWeb in after hearing people having trouble with them. Me next door neighbour tried ordering it with them and heard nothing from them. Let numerous messages with them and they never got back to him.

Although I reckon that councillor has put his ass on the line. If €ircon don't deliver it, I dont think he'll be re-elected!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I found digiweb to be amazing when I ordered. Ordered on a Tuesday installer came out on Wednesday, unfortunately I wasn't covered but at least they tried. I wonder will their 4G product cover Kilmessan :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Finally Croom Co. Limerick is to be enabled.

almost a year after they dug up all the streets to install cabling.

Wonder how long a time frame they are really talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

The Cork list is disgusting.

Clonakilty, Macroom and Mallow are hardly out of the way villages. The fact that Eircom havent given them broadband up to now is sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Just got off the phone with eircom.

Apparently that list will be enabled over the next 2 to 3 years.

Nope thats not a typo she told me the next 2 to 3 YEARS.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

probably in time for the next general election

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

looks like me and the rest of the 4 percent not gonna be covered are boned..in todays indo says eircom will never upgrade the other 4 percent of thier customers to be albeto be bb capable....its up to the gov, and thier gonna do frak all

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

jwt wrote:
    probably in time for the next general election
    the next one or the one after the next one? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

Dear gods!

My homeplace is actually on the list!

Will pigs fly next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

A bit cynical here, but I noticed a couple of places with wireless schemes which are on the eircom list, and places without wireless are still going without.

Also, eircom are still bull****ting people in Grange Rath as they have an RSU for ages now. They've every reason to be pissed off there, especially when Gleann Alainn, a much smaller estate with its own RSU off Drogheda, seems to be on the list. I'd love to know who that councillor was...:mad: He should be named and shamed.

Chris, Mallow, Clonakilty and Macroom does have broadband, it's had it since late 2002? If you fail, it's because you are on a pairgain or are too far from the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

oleras wrote:
    Press release should read " eircom dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century"

Silly state of affairs really, What i have noticed, along with everyone else with regard to broadband is its either a feast or a famine, you can either point blank not get it and when the exchange is enabled you have the choice between fixed and wireless all of a sudden.

They announced the patrickswell co.limerick one last year to be done this year, anyone any idea what kind of timeframe before its completed ?
    sure patrickswell already got digiweb metro don't they

looks like me and the rest of the 4 percent not gonna be covered are boned..in todays indo says eircom will never upgrade the other 4 percent of thier customers to be albeto be bb capable....its up to the gov, and thier gonna do frak all
    Sure im sure a good lot of those exchanges wont be upgraded in the end abd by the time eircom finish upgrading most of the list the country will have 100% 3G no bother sure 3 already has over 80% 3G coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

1huge1 wrote:
    sure patrickswell already got digiweb metro don't they

Maybe the village, but 2 miles outside it and my signal is too weak. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

My exchange is on the list! Rahan, Offaly. Was surprised TBH as the place is tiny. Don't know how many people are on the exchange though. I know Last Mile offer wireless in the area but we ordered from them in early Feb and they still have not bothered to come out or return phone calls after we get in contact with them.

I was suprised Mucklagh was not enabled as it is basically part of Tullamore and the only reason there is any green in between is a forest on one side and a Charleville castle on the other. Village has a school and is on the main road to Birr and everything. Loads of housing estates in the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

My exchange, Turloughmore, is due to be upgraded this year. I drive past the exchange every day and always keep a little eye on any increased activity there. I have seen a lot of vans there lately so maybe they are working on it at the moment. Would they have to dig up the road to enable an exchange for DSL or would it just be a case of installing the necessary equipment inside the exchange? Just curious....

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It just gear on the rack shelves in the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Ok Thanks Watty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yeah there have been eircom vans at the Rahan exchange too but I just assumed they were doing something for the new houses in the areas. It could be broadband but if they are working on broadband then they've been doing it since before this announcement.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lads. How do ye know what exchange ye are on? I am out in the stick and cannot tell if I am on the Ayle exchage or Castlebar exchange!!
    In Islandeady but down a side road which connects up with Ayle!!! So lost!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

To find out which exchange you're connected to, enter your telephone number in the broadband checker on http://www.smarttelecom.ie/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

govinda wrote:
    To find out which exchange you're connected to, enter your telephone number in the broadband checker on http://www.smarttelecom.ie/

Thanks for that, seems we are on the Castlebar exchange, but we still cannot get the BB!!! Shower of fools :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 fignon03

Status of local exchange changed to enabled before xmas, rang eircom in feb said to phone back in april, line still failing and idiots in eircom have no clue as to when the line will be enabled, a wireless operator started before xmas also, anyone know how long it takes to get lines set up once exchnage is ready (or maybe its not enabled and their just saying it on their website?)

yop wrote:
    Thanks for that, seems we are on the Castlebar exchange, but we still cannot get the BB!!! Shower of fools :mad:
    maybe your too far out
    its something like 4km or maybe its in miles
    that dosn't look good for you

Aye, we are about 4 miles so I reckon we are, great technolgically advanced country we live in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Whatever made you think it's a technologically advanced country?

Blaster99 wrote:
    Whatever made you think it's a technologically advanced country?

Our wonderful Ministers :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

My town 'Kilcormac' is on this list so I rang and was told it could possible by by march or april. I foolishly got excited. When my phone line was being fitted I asked the installer and he gave me the mobile of a local technician that would be doing the upgrade and he reckoned that my town would be online by 1st of April (maybe it was a cruel joke) but after another recent phone call to eircom I was told that our town is looking more like december for DSL.

It's a serious work requirment for me so I wish they would get off their asses. I spoke to a local eircom employee again and he told me that he had already completed most of the upgrade work in the exchange and that it would not take much longer yet the other side of eircom says December.

Do their departments even communicate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

I don't believe there's any communication in Eircom, certainly not to the front line sales/support staff.

I had a similar experience with the Summerhill exchange, also on that list of 100. When I rang late last year, I was told by Broadband Sales it would be live end January. When I rang in February, I was told they don't have a date, I shouldn't have been told January and would I like my line tested? I tried explaining that if the equipment isn't in the exchange, there's not much point testing the line and was then advised to ring back every 3-4 weeks so that they could test my line :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

TomTom wrote:
    My town 'Kilcormac' is on this list so I rang and was told it could possible by by march or april. I foolishly got excited. When my phone line was being fitted I asked the installer and he gave me the mobile of a local technician that would be doing the upgrade and he reckoned that my town would be online by 1st of April (maybe it was a cruel joke) but after another recent phone call to eircom I was told that our town is looking more like december for DSL.

It's a serious work requirment for me so I wish they would get off their asses. I spoke to a local eircom employee again and he told me that he had already completed most of the upgrade work in the exchange and that it would not take much longer yet the other side of eircom says December.

Do their departments even communicate?
    ya its a sad boat to be in but im their too
    but worse in that I was told i'd have broadband in my town of almost 2000 people in april 2004! 3 years later and still none
    From what I hear its becuase theres no competition in the area here and they make more money of dial up so i'm stuck paying big prices for isdn

Advertisement